• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-2019 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Lose Kemba and All Fans

They’ve been fine indefinitely. How do they take the next step? I don’t really see a core of stars emerging from who they have now.

New fan here.

I know Frank played well against the Pelicans, but is it me or is he a total liability on defense? I'm not sure I've seen him guard anyone and for a big guy, he is not very aggressive on the glass.

He isn't a liability, but he isn't a good defender either. He is fine against Europussy 5s or when wannabe Europussy 5s like Horford or Ibaka are content to hoist 3s. But he gets trucked by stronger guys like Whiteside or Embiid who can push him out of the way down low. He also cannot guard modern 4s who can put it on the floor at all, so he has to play as a 5. Which is fine when his shot is falling as I think the good outweighs the bad, but you know in like the first 5 minutes whether we are getting Good Frank or Bad Frank that night.

They’ve been fine indefinitely. How do they take the next step? I don’t really see a core of stars emerging from who they have now.

In the last two drafts with one 1st and one 2nd in each draft they've gotten 4 future NBA quality starters to go around Kemba. If, and that is a big if, they can continue drafting like that, and Borrego (or whoever the coach ends up being) can commit to their growth I think they'll be fine. It's not like Steph or Giannis or Dirk were NBA candidates out of the gate. Not saying any of these 4 will approach that level, but they are all already decent and all still very young.

The problem is the bad contracts that give them no opportunity to bring in a 1st or 2nd tier FA. Assuming they can't move any of the contracts early, my preference is to re-sign Kemba at the max, ride out the other contracts but don't play those guys and let the young guys play, and then hopefully when the bad contracts come off after 2020 and 2021, Kemba still has something left in the tank, the young guys have developed to be legit players, we've drafted another good player or two, and we have some cap room to add a strong player or two.

Steph was MVP six years after he was drafted and this is Giannis' sixth year as well. You're right that none of those guys will approach that level.

The NBA draft is just a total crapshoot, imo.

I'm not interested in locking Kemba up for five years starting at age 29 at a third of the salary cap.

For the '14-'15 season, Denver's five leading scorers were Lawson, Afflalo, Chandler, Faried, and Mozgov. Lawson, Afflalo, and Mozgov were all traded in the course of 6.5 months for young prospects and future draft picks. Meanwhile, they held out key players down the stretch of the season. You don't have to be the worst team in the league to be tanking.

Steph was MVP six years after he was drafted and this is Giannis' sixth year as well. You're right that none of those guys will approach that level.

The NBA draft is just a total crapshoot, imo.

I'm not interested in locking Kemba up for five years starting at age 29 at a third of the salary cap.

What is the alternative, use that third of the salary cap to sign 2 or 3 middling players? They can do that with the other 2/3 of the cap. He is the best player the franchise, and the city for that matter, has ever had, by far. If he leaves they would spend the next 30 years of their history trying to find another Kemba. They need to build around him, not think that he is fungible or replaceable, as they haven't had anyone like him in 30 years.

What is the alternative, use that third of the salary cap to sign 2 or 3 middling players? They can do that with the other 2/3 of the cap. He is the best player the franchise, and the city for that matter, has ever had, by far. If he leaves they would spend the next 30 years of their history trying to find another Kemba. They need to build around him, not think that he is fungible or replaceable, as they haven't had anyone like him in 30 years.

We've already tried that and we're not even going to the playoffs. I love Kemba, but it's time for a new plan.

Steph, Giannis, and Dirk had high potential that was apparently pretty early. I think each surpassed those high expectations.

The Hornets haven’t had a player like that in a long time. They’ve passed on several.

Steph, Giannis, and Dirk had high potential that was apparently pretty early. I think each surpassed those high expectations.

The Hornets haven’t had a player like that in a long time. They’ve passed on several.

Baron Davis.

Huge win against the Raptors on a Lamb 3 with 3.3 seconds left. Coupled with a Heat loss and a Pistons loss puts us a game behind Miami for 9th and two games behind both the Pistons and Nets for 7th and 8th. We play the Pistons on Sunday in a HUGE game, as I think we already have the tiebreaker over them. The was a massive loss for Miami, as they finish with at the Raptors, Sixers, and Nets. I think we need to win out to be safe, but with the Pistons, Cavs, and Magic left it is doable. Of course, being the Hornets they will likely beat the Pistons and promptly lose to the Cavs.

Huge win against the Raptors on a Lamb 3 with 3.3 seconds left. Coupled with a Heat loss and a Pistons loss puts us a game behind Miami for 9th and two games behind both the Pistons and Nets for 7th and 8th. We play the Pistons on Sunday in a HUGE game, as I think we already have the tiebreaker over them. The was a massive loss for Miami, as they finish with at the Raptors, Sixers, and Nets. I think we need to win out to be safe, but with the Pistons, Cavs, and Magic left it is doable. Of course, being the Hornets they will likely beat the Pistons and promptly lose to the Cavs.

Magic comes back to beat the Celtics, so they punched their ticket. Looks like we need one more Miami loss (highly probable with them facing Philadelphia at home and Brooklyn on the road, who still can finish 6th over the Magic with a win), two wins for the Hornets, and the Pistons to lose to either Memphis (doable) or the Knicks (not likely)?

Yeah it is at least fun to be in the hunt with 2 games left. Have to win the last 2 and hope that the Pistons lose at lease 1. Hopefully Memphis is still playing for Bickerstaff's job and can put a game together. It would be great if they beat Detroit and the Hornets' final home game is win-and-get-in against Clifford.

For what it's worth Philly is resting starters from here on in, 3 seed locked up, so I wouldn't count on them beating Miami.

For what it's worth Philly is resting starters from here on in, 3 seed locked up, so I wouldn't count on them beating Miami.

I think I misspoke about Miami, looks like we split the season series with them, and must have the next tiebreaker (which I believe is division record since they are in the same division) locked up already, so don't actually need them to lose again, just Detroit.

Bucks are ultra-worried about which .500-team they're going to play.

Milwaukee vs either Charlotte or Detroit in a 1-8 matchup is what NBATV was invented for.

also, can someone that's not blocked please reiterate to rj to fuck off

Back