• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-2019 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Lose Kemba and All Fans

Jordan just sucks at most everything but playing basketball.

since Jordan became involved in 2006, has there been a worse franchise?

- Three playoff appearances, lost first round all three times, twice swept
- Two players to make the All-Star Game
- A .105 winning percentage one season

I guess the Kings have been worse, but at least they have the excuse of playing in the Western Conference

Knicks are up there as well.

Kemba’s PT article shouted out everyone on the team with something specific and left Batum with “thanks for being you” which I interpret as “thanks for being a lazy motherfucker who helped me realize I need to go somewhere else”

I guess the Kings have been worse, but at least they have the excuse of playing in the Western Conference

That is a putrid record.

This team wasn’t going anywhere next season even if they signed Kemba. He’s not an easy piece to build around either. By the end of that five-year contract, he would have been the albatross and the team never would have been a top four seed in the playoffs. Just an awful situation creatives the past four years in hopes of putting together a veteran team around Kemba.

the kemba thing is dumb but why compound it with a bad rozier contract

and if you're not going to max out kemba after the best season of his career, then you would have had to have known that you weren't going to max him this time last year

why not trade him for some value????????

the kemba thing is dumb but why compound it with a bad rozier contract

Gotta have somebody start at PG. I don't know how we'd even attract somebody to come here and play with a bunch of bad expiring contract vets without overpaying them.

and if you're not going to max out kemba after the best season of his career, then you would have had to have known that you weren't going to max him this time last year

why not trade him for some value????????

Totally agree and stated same earlier. The only feasible argument is they thought they'd be a playoff team this year and that would make it worth the tax. Insteadd they missedthe playoffs for the third straight year and outside of Kemba it's clear the team isn't very good. If we had been the 6 seed this year, which we only missed by three games, and given the 76ers a decent series, maybe management sees things differently and pays Kemba and makes some other moves. (Hornets lost all 4 games to the 76ers this year by a combined 10 points.)

Either way, giving a 6'1" point guard who's 29 years old a 5-year supermax contract is a risky move.

Totally agree and stated same earlier. The only feasible argument is they thought they'd be a playoff team this year and that would make it worth the tax. Insteadd they missedthe playoffs for the third straight year and outside of Kemba it's clear the team isn't very good. If we had been the 6 seed this year, which we only missed by three games, and given the 76ers a decent series, maybe management sees things differently and pays Kemba and makes some other moves. (Hornets lost all 4 games to the 76ers this year by a combined 10 points.)

Either way, giving a 6'1" point guard who's 29 years old a 5-year supermax contract is a risky move.

I really don't have a big problem letting Kemba walk. He's a great player, and could have been the cornerstone of the franchise. Instead, the Hornets surrounded him with mediocre players, and the team didn't win. As stated, the Hornets blew it by not shopping him for a couple of good pieces to start a rebuild.

It has been a risky move to overpay everyone else under the sun to get them in this situation. Potentially overpaying the one guy who has been the best player in the history of the franchise makes more sense than literally every single other one of their overpays. Yet for some unknown reason this one was the one they failed to pull the trigger on.

Overpay Batum, check. Overpay Marvin, check. Overpay MKG and Zeller, check. Trade for overpaid Plumlee/Howard/Biyombo, check. Overpay Kemba? Oh hell no. WTF? He is the one guy out of the whole damn lot that they could easily justify overpaying.

And then compound it by grossly overpaying Terry Fucking Rozier. Just unbelievable mismanagement.

It has been a risky move to overpay everyone else under the sun to get them in this situation. Potentially overpaying the one guy who has been the best player in the history of the franchise makes more sense than literally every single other one of their overpays. Yet for some unknown reason this one was the one they failed to pull the trigger on.

Overpay Batum, check. Overpay Marvin, check. Overpay MKG and Zeller, check. Trade for overpaid Plumlee/Howard/Biyombo, check. Overpay Kemba? Oh hell no. WTF? He is the one guy out of the whole damn lot that they could easily justify overpaying.

And then compound it by grossly overpaying Terry Fucking Rozier. Just unbelievable mismanagement.

Are you going to renew your season tickets?

The Kings have a promising and fun core. I’d trade their roster with any Horcats roster.

Are you going to renew your season tickets?

Hell no. My rep called me back yesterday and said they can't formally do anything until contracts become official on the 6th, but I told him there is no way I am financially supporting these moves if ownership cannot make decent financial decisions. They won't pay Kemba a supermax of $45 mi/year but they'll pay the Batum/Rozier combo a combined $45 mil/year? Fuck that shit, Kemba is worth three times what those two clowns bring together to the table.

I'm more surprised at the surprise of those on this board at the Hornet's moves. Just as there will be NO hope for the Deacs BB until DM is gone there is not a glimmer of hope for the Hornets until MJ is gone. Just can't get worse ownership than him as just clueless (although he thinks he is smartest one in the room).

Cant argue with that.

Makes you wonder if the current power structure ofthe league is sustainable. there are maybe 10 championship caliber teams next year (although it's really half that number). The other 20 teams are playing for meaningless playoff berths in the guise of "building towards a championship run" or simply existing as fodder for the good teams. It's only a matter of time before Jordan hasto ask for improvements to the Spectrum Center and he's going to show up having accomplished absolutely nothing in the current arena. And the NBA helps perpetuate the competitive imbalance, through mid-level exceptions, top players taking less so they can offer other players enough to build a roster, anda luxury tax that apparently isn't high enough to deter management from blowing through the cap. Is it good for the league as a whole that the Lakers can have three players on their team who are better than any single player on half the teams in the league ? Draw your own conclusions, but I kind of doubt it.

Back