• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-2019 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Lose Kemba and All Fans

Stupid reason in my opinion. Teams will inevitably decide in any sport they are bad and become sellers, focus on young guys and upcoming drafts. But the lotto hurts both poorly run and well run teams. It affects trades, cap and free agency. It’s nonsense

I don’t understand how someone who espouses letting good management separate themselves from bad management can simultaneously be all about a draft being decided by a random draw

That’s exactly why I prefer the lottery. It flattens the playing field somewhat for the bad teams.

As far as tanking, it’s simply bad for the league. Sporting events operate under a basic premise that both teams are trying to win. Tanking sinks that premise and without a lottery tankers are rewarded.

That’s exactly why I prefer the lottery. It flattens the playing field somewhat for the bad teams.

As far as tanking, it’s simply bad for the league. Sporting events operate under a basic premise that both teams are trying to win. Tanking sinks that premise and without a lottery tankers are rewarded.

Tanking sucks

But there are also well run teams who eventually fall into lotto. And their fates are also decided by random draw.

That’s fine. What’s your problem with a weighted (not random) draw?

I think it’s weird to prefer a system where the worst record guarantees you Duncan and the second and third worsr records get you Keith Van Horn and Chauncey Billups. The #1 pick in the NBA draft is the biggest annual offseason prize in sports. It can completely turn a franchise around. Look at how many Finals Cleveland made despite being a shit franchise.

Last edited:
It's cute to cut off that draft conveniently at #8 when #9 (Dirk) and #10 (Paul Pierce) are first ballot Hall of Famers.

It's cute to cut off that draft conveniently at #8 when #9 (Dirk) and #10 (Paul Pierce) are first ballot Hall of Famers.

Yea and Tom Brady went in the 6th round as a compensatory pick in 2000. Your point?

That only strengthens the point. Paul Pierce wasn’t even the first player taken from Kansas that year.

Saw miles plumlee was traded today. Was completely shocked that he is still on that contract. Absolutely unbelievable Cho traded for him

E-mail today from Kupchak:

As a valuable and loyal member of our Charlotte Hornets franchise, I wanted to share with you an offseason update regarding our basketball team. As you are aware, Kemba Walker has decided to sign with another NBA team. Personnel decisions, especially ones of this magnitude, are not easy and not something that we, as an organization, take lightly. Even though I have been here only one year, after being around Kemba it became apparent very quickly the type of impact he had on our franchise as both a player and a person.
In any negotiation, both parties ultimately have to do what they think is best for their side, and unfortunately in some instances that means not coming to an agreement. We wanted Kemba to stay in Charlotte, but we also wanted to ensure we had the financial flexibility to build a competitive team around him. Our entire organization thanks him for his on-court play, his leadership and his commitment to our community. We wish him the best of luck in the future.

We were excited to have the opportunity to arrange a sign-and-trade deal with Boston to add 25-year-old point guard Terry Rozier to our team. Terry is an up-and-coming young player who we feel can be a quality starting point guard for us. We believe Terry fits well with the team we are looking to put together.

Our long-term goal is to build a team that has sustainable success. We want to be an entertaining team that makes the playoffs, advances in the playoffs and ultimately can compete for a championship. Key components to reaching our goals will be player development, drafting well, completing savvy trades and making timely free agent acquisitions.

Player development, which is one of the biggest strengths of our head coach James Borrego and his coaching staff, remains a top priority for our team. This is a big factor in all NBA teams improving from year-to-year – it’s imperative that your own players get better. We will focus on the growth of our young core of players: Dwayne Bacon, Miles Bridges, Devonte’ Graham, Willy Hernangomez and Malik Monk. We are excited about this group’s potential, which we witnessed with their improved play throughout last season. I’m happy to report that each of these players have been working extremely hard this offseason and have been in the gym on a near daily basis. We have added more young, talented players to this group with our 2019 NBA Draft picks PJ Washington, Cody Martin and Jalen McDaniels, along with the acquisition of Terry Rozier. Lastly, we will continue to utilize our G League team, the Greensboro Swarm, as a means to provide our young players an environment and atmosphere in which they can continually improve.

As introduced last season, our style of play will focus on fitting the modern NBA with an emphasis on ball movement, quick decision making and three-point shooting. As I’ve said previously, I believe that this is a style of play that not only do players enjoy playing, but that you, our fans, enjoy watching. As the NBA trends towards position-less basketball, we will continue to look to acquire players that are skilled, versatile and have the ability to play multiple positions.

We will constantly look for opportunities to improve our team through the draft, trades and free agency in an effort to build a consistent winner. In the upcoming years, we have several draft picks, including all of our first-round picks in the foreseeable future and multiple second-round picks. Additionally, we have the opportunity to have significant financial flexibility in the upcoming offseasons to acquire talent.

Finally, I’d just like to take a moment to say thank you. In my first season with the Hornets, I was overwhelmed by your passion, enthusiasm and support of our team every night at Spectrum Center. The impact you make as a Swarm365 Member cannot be overstated and is very much appreciated by all of us within the organization. Thanks again for being a part of our Hornets family.

What a shitshow. He wants cap flexibility, but yet is paying Rozier $20 million over the next 3 years. And cap flexibility to sign who, exactly? He could have just re-signed the greatest player in franchise history yet apparently refused to even offer him a max deal. So who is he expecting to sign in those max slots when they eventually come available? Who the fuck is he expecting to sign who was anywhere near Kemba's ability, regardless of available money? All that "cap flexibility" means is that he is setting himself up to overpay somebody (again), because he rawdicked the one guy who was actually willing to take a market discount to fucking play here. So we lose Kemba for the opportunity to overpay Andrew Wiggins or Zach Lavine or Kyle Kuzma or Ben Simmons. Great job, asshole.

good article on ESPN on Hornets as one of the biggest losers of free agency. Mgmt.(reality ownership) slammed for complete incompetence over the years including giving up an alleged 4 1st round picks for the pick that resulted in Kaminsky and allegedly could have received 2 for the pick that resulted in Noah Vonleh. Just abysmal. They also question like all on here how you can pay an unproven player twice the amount that a proven Lamb received from another team.

Clearly they are tanking the ship and going full rebuild mode without actually saying it as that would kill ticket sales in their minds but any fan is going to see through this charade for what it is and ticket sales will plummet no matter their wordsmithing.

They won't even tank properly and will get something like the ninth pick.

If they don't win, people in Charlotte won't show up. It could be a race to relocate in Seattle between OKC and Charlotte. By getting Zion, NO may be out of this race.

Like Cleveland last year (but without anyone anywhere near as good as washed/injured K Love), I think the hornets will be a bottom 3 team in tank fest even if the franchise thinks they can somehow compete for the 8th seed.

If MJ thinks they can compete for a playoff spot, he should be sent to a facility that can deal with his delusions, drinking and gambling.

what's wrong with delusions, drinking and gambling?

good article on ESPN on Hornets as one of the biggest losers of free agency. Mgmt.(reality ownership) slammed for complete incompetence over the years including giving up an alleged 4 1st round picks for the pick that resulted in Kaminsky and allegedly could have received 2 for the pick that resulted in Noah Vonleh. Just abysmal. They also question like all on here how you can pay an unproven player twice the amount that a proven Lamb received from another team.

Clearly they are tanking the ship and going full rebuild mode without actually saying it as that would kill ticket sales in their minds but any fan is going to see through this charade for what it is and ticket sales will plummet no matter their wordsmithing.

Not only those moves, but if they never intended to offer Kemba a max then why the fuck wouldn't they trade him and get at least something in return? Even some unknown #assets and #draftcapital is better than Terry Fucking Rozier at $20 million/year. It's like whatever their "plan" is changes direction from month to month like farts in the wind.

Back