• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-2019 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Lose Kemba and All Fans

As I've said over and over again, the DEMS should NOT nonimate anyone over 60 for POTUS in 2020

The only way the Hornets will ever better than the bottom 2/3 of the playoffs is to tank and get a couple of great draft picks. Whether you like it or not, Charlotte is not a destination for free agents.

Not having cap space and not being a destination are two different things. OKC is not a "destination city", and neither is Milwaukee, but they have no problem getting FAs because they have money and/or potential to win. Cleveland and Houston are both shitholes yet they have been huge FA destinations recently.

If the Hornets had cap space they could attract FAs just fine, especially to hopefully play alongside Kemba and bridges. Gordon Hayward signed an offer sheet before it was matched. Batum turned down other offers to stay. Marvin Williams turned down more money to stay. Born Ready signed as a FA despite other offers. I would be surprised if Kemba left, assuming they offer him what they should. The cap space is the problem, not the destination.

Just when I thought the season was over .... They've won 4 of their last 5 and have been playing the best ball of the season. Road wins in San Antonio and Memphis, home wins against the Kings and Suns. Road loss to Indy but with Oladipo maybe done for the year that team may plummet. We're up to 7th in the East a game out of 6th.

Just really balanced efforts lately. Hernangomez and Biyombo have both been playing great as they've gotten more comfortable in Zeller's absence. We've been getting like 20 and 15 from the combined center position pretty consistently. Monk and Bridges continue to settle down and improve, and Parker, Marv, and Lamb have all been solid. Kemba is Kemba, and a balanced attack all game lets him rest up to take over the 4th quarter. I hate to say it, but the big wild card has been Batum. He did this last year when trade rumors started swirling, but he has been playing his best ball since he signed the contract. Last night there were several times he was the best player on the court - hitting threes, driving the lane, passing well and playing good defense. When he is aggressive he is showing he can still be really good; the problem is that he has played like a giant Europussy the vast majority of the past few seasons. We'll see if he can keep it up, but it has been encouraging to watch.

So the key decision is what to do at the trade deadline. Marc Gasol is apparently available, and he has to be who the Hornets have to make a move for. The contracts work with either Batum or Biyombo, but Batum would be ideal because Gasol's expires next year instead of the following like Batum. A package of Batum + Hernangomez/Frank + 1st round pick might be enough to get it done. That would be a godsend for the Hornets because it (a) would improve them significantly this season and next to help keep Kemba and make some playoff noise, and (b) mean that all of the bad contracts would come off the books after next year, leaving over $80 million in cap space AFTER signing Kemba and Lamb, and still having Bridges and Monk under contract. That would be enough to resign MKG and add some significant other pieces or simply hold some space. I don't know if Memphis goes for that deal, but I think they strongly consider it.

Not having cap space and not being a destination are two different things. OKC is not a "destination city", and neither is Milwaukee, but they have no problem getting FAs because they have money and/or potential to win. Cleveland and Houston are both shitholes yet they have been huge FA destinations recently.

If the Hornets had cap space they could attract FAs just fine, especially to hopefully play alongside Kemba and bridges. Gordon Hayward signed an offer sheet before it was matched. Batum turned down other offers to stay. Marvin Williams turned down more money to stay. Born Ready signed as a FA despite other offers. I would be surprised if Kemba left, assuming they offer him what they should. The cap space is the problem, not the destination.

As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about. Milwaukee has no significant FAs signees on their roster. Hill and Bledsoe were under contract when traded to the Bucks. The only "FA signee" the Thunder has is Paul George who was traded to them and got an extra year and millions more in CBA benefits for staying with that team.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are clueless not making shit up.

You don't think that FAs will be lining up to play with Giannis? Or that PG13 was a big FA signing for OKC? It is no different that the Hornets trying to keep Kemba, which will be huge for them.

Keeping Kemba is one thing. Attracting others to join a second tier star to play in second or third tier NBA city is quite another.

As to OKC signing George, he got a stay at home bonus and an extra year to stay in OKC. Plus, Westbrook is on a different level than Kemba and they had Adams as well.

When was the last time a Top 15-20 player chose to move to Charlotte? I can't think of one in the past 25 years.

So the key decision is what to do at the trade deadline. Marc Gasol is apparently available, and he has to be who the Hornets have to make a move for. The contracts work with either Batum or Biyombo, but Batum would be ideal because Gasol's expires next year instead of the following like Batum. A package of Batum + Hernangomez/Frank + 1st round pick might be enough to get it done. That would be a godsend for the Hornets because it (a) would improve them significantly this season and next to help keep Kemba and make some playoff noise, and (b) mean that all of the bad contracts would come off the books after next year, leaving over $80 million in cap space AFTER signing Kemba and Lamb, and still having Bridges and Monk under contract. That would be enough to resign MKG and add some significant other pieces or simply hold some space. I don't know if Memphis goes for that deal, but I think they strongly consider it.

Not sure Memphis would be willing to take back 2 more seasons of serious cap hit for Batum. They are really looking for (or should be) young players and/or picks. They'd probably prefer Biyombo honestly just because he will take his player option next year but then will be gone.

Real story from last night was the interview with Malik's brother. Electric

Kemba gets voted to start in the AllStar game. Should be a fantastic scene for him on his home court.

4th quarter collapse commencing......refs are swallowing the whistles hard on Charlotte's end the last 5 minutes.

Yeah that was brutal. Play our best game of the year for 40 minutes on the road at the Bucks, with Kemba having an off night, up 92-80 with 6 mins or so left. And then get repeatedly fucked by the refs and the Bucks go on like a 26-6 run. I don't know what Borrego is supposed to do in that situation. One on hand, he should be going apeshit on the refs and get himself tossed to prove a point, and to protect Kemba who had to be carried off the court after being sat on his neck after a frustration scum resulting for the reds not calling blatant fouls. On the other hand it is a tight game and I know he didn't want a technical in that spot. But I think he needed to do something or it just keeps happening.

He shouldn’t have kept playing the Kemba and Graham lineup against a huge bucks team so long into that run, for one. Dude should not be a head coach

Bringing this back up as we hit a big stretch while playing our best ball of the year. Back to .500 and looking to go over it tonight at home against the Clippers. The key has been Monk and Bridges playing more consistently the past few games. In the last 4 games, Monk has gone for 14, 16, 20, and 18. Not surprisingly, we are 3-1 in those 4. Bridges, while his scoring is still up and down, has been playing much improved defense and rebounding strong. Batum and Biyombo have also been playing well. Zeller is listed as probable for tonight's game, and it will be great to get him back.

The trade deadline is this Thursday, and it will be interesting to see if Kupchak makes a move. It sounds like they are one of the frontrunners for Marc Gasol if he does get traded. Monk's recent improvement could make Lamb's expiring contract enough for Memphis to bite. I think both teams would have to seriously consider a deal of Biyombo+Lamb+1st round pick.

Hornets definitely need one more giant stiff white dude

If we can get mozgov, we're close to the end game

We had Mozgov for like 20 minutes this past offseason.

Game last night was entertaining, but gave up a 20 point 3rd quarter lead and lost to the Clippers on a shot by Tobias Harris with 4 seconds left, who was then traded right after the game. They seriously couldn't have sat him knowing he was about to get gone?

But the game gave us this from Bridges on Montrezl Foshezl Mynezl Harrezl, so I'll take it

Sporting News reporting that the Gasol talks are stalling. Reportedly the deal is Biyombo and either MKG or Monk. I would be annoyed if it was Monk, and that is hopefully the reason for the stall. I would also be less enthusiastic about it if it were MKG. Take Frank and a pick, you fuckers.

Sporting News reporting that the Gasol talks are stalling. Reportedly the deal is Biyombo and either MKG or Monk. I would be annoyed if it was Monk, and that is hopefully the reason for the stall. I would also be less enthusiastic about it if it were MKG. Take Frank and a pick, you fuckers.

I dont think the salary match works for Biyombo + Frank + pick; even if it did we have no interest in an out of the rotation backup stretch 4. We will take your salary dump (Bis) but only for young players and picks. Although it's entirely possible that both front offices manage to equally screw up any potential deal.

The Ringer is saying the deal is Biyombo + MKG + protected 1st, and the level of protection on the 1st is what is holding it up. Not sure how I feel about that, MKG is so important to the team playing well. Granted, Borrego doesn't play him as much as he should anyway, so it may not net out as a huge loss.

Back