• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-2019 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Lose Kemba and All Fans

The MKG era has not yielded the results necessary for it to continue.

That would mean the Grizzlies are taking back $30mm in player options for next season, and I'm not sure they want to go there. Grizz writer saying this morning as well that if it's MKG + Biyombo that the Grizzlies need to add some salary filler to go back, and right now they dont seem willing to part with anyone that could be used in a different trade (Temple, Mack etc). Not sure this deal gets done.

Yeah that is why I'm a little surprised it is MKG and not Lamb or Frank, who both expire this season.

The MKG era has not yielded the results necessary for it to continue.

Eh, he is arguably the second best player on the team and well worth his salary. You can argue that he wasn't worth the #2 pick, but that is separate from whether he is worth his cost currently.

Gotta do something today to shake things up. Another close loss last night in a game we should have won on the road against Dallas. We just can't get over the hump and need some infusion of something. Gasol, Beal, just do something big to try to get Kemba some help.

Woj reporting that there are still some gaps to bridge (sure as shit better not be Miles) in the Gasol deal. They've been negotiating for like 3 days, I'd be surprised if anything gets done at this point with 4 hours to go.

Woj reporting that there are still some gaps to bridge (sure as shit better not be Miles) in the Gasol deal. They've been negotiating for like 3 days, I'd be surprised if anything gets done at this point with 4 hours to go.

Most Grizz writers believe something gets done. Gasol cleaned out his locker Tuesday night and didnt travel yesterday with the team to OKC. I think he's come to terms with it and it would be very weird to bring him back at this point.

JJJ, MKG and Kyle Anderson would be a devastating defensive frontcourt. The only shooter would be the 19 yr old rookie center, go figure.

If everything goes well for the Hornets, maybe they can become in the mix for then six seed in the East on a regular basis.

I feel like MKG + Biz + a 1st (no matter the protection) was a better rebuilding deal for Memphis than the one they got from Toronto.

Oh absolutely. It sounds like Kupchak tried to play hardball with them yesterday on the pick protection after they sat Gasol, so Memphis told him to fuck off and took any deal other than ours. Probably stupid moves all the way around.

So when Rachel Nichols asked Kemba what the front office needed to do to keep him in Charlotte, he answered with, “they already know.” Then we proceeded to go out and do literally nothing at the trade deadline. That seems solid.

I'm relieved that no deal was made. The long term path out of mediocrity does not involve trading for a 35 year old Marc Gasol.

MJ has not been a good executive in either stop.

Weird thing to type, but I agree with RJ on this. I probably should reconsider. What are the odds that RJ is correct? Long shot?

This team has crashed and burned since blowing the trade deadline. Lost 6 out of 8, now out of the playoffs, and the schedule is only getting harder. Got assfucked by the refs against Brooklyn on Saturday and then played well but of course still lost at home to the Warriors last night by 11. Cody scored 28 and made Cousins look like the worst post defender in the league (which he may be). But 28 against the Warriors in a game that was lost when the schedule first came out doesn't help, where is the 28 against the Nets or the Knicks or the Magic or the host of other teams we are actually competing with? Why can't we bring the same game against them that we bring against the Warriors? The same thing will happen tomorrow versus the Rockets - we'll play decent but still lose a semi-competitive game, and then get our doors blown off against Brooklyn on Friday. So damn frustrating.

The lack of the Gasol trade is killing them now, I honestly think he would have been the difference between missing the playoffs and being the 6th seed. And the 6th seed may not be great, but it is better than (a) churning just outside the playoffs, or (b) an attempted tank/Process that will fail miserably. And it would have kept some interest between now and when the Biyombo (Gasol), Marvin, and Batum contracts burn off.

That’s gotta be up there for shot of the year, holy cow.

Taking a page out of the Panthers playbook, seems the Hornets are now winning games after digging themselves too deep of a hole to get out of. They'll still miss the playoffs but now are just hurting their draft pick slot

The annoying thing is, they are winning because they are doing what most of us said they should be doing from the beginning of the season - playing the talented young guys more than the overpaid vets. They beat the TWolves at home, Boston at home, and Toronto on the road by primarily playing a top 6 of Kemba, Graham, Monk, Bacon, Bridges, and Frank, with Marvin and Batum and Hernangomez sprinkled in as needed. That has been a fairly obvious strategy all season, yet it has taken falling apart at the end and a bunch of injuries to "force" Borrego to go to these lineups. So they are 2 back of the 8 seed and playing well enough to get it. We'll see if it continues as the schedule remains tough.

Back