• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The O-Line

Do even realize how bad our recruiting and attendance would be if we were a C-USA team or some other non power 5 team? Ask Rice how much better it is playing in a mid major conference as a small school. They are even in a much better area of the country for recruiting than us too.

I do realize these facts. What I know, from today, is that this was a Clemson home game and they won 63-3. As I stated, I get the whole "ACC" thing. I really do. I'm in the minority. But, something has to change at Wake for us to be competitive. Either we SHIT or get off the pot with revenue sports. I hope Wake decides to actually compete in the ACC and will make substantive changes. Do you?

I do realize these facts. What I know, from today, is that this was a Clemson home game and they won 63-3. As I stated, I get the whole "ACC" thing. I really do. I'm in the minority. But, something has to change at Wake for us to be competitive. Either we SHIT or get off the pot with revenue sports. I hope Wake decides to actually compete in the ACC and will make substantive changes. Do you?

Blame it on Ron Wellman

Just curious, what kind of changes? We are pouring money into facilities like we are actually a big boy. I travel to schools across the country and our facilities are better than 90% of them.

There is no guarantee the same thing wouldn't happen at a lower level. We only beat the crap out of Rice BECAUSE we are in the ACC and can draw better athletes. If we are at a lower level it's the same playing field except we're still dealing with academic hurdles that places like ODU isn't. It's not just us. Should Rutgers drop to a lower level? Illinois? Oregon State?

0-4 UCLA??

Well I think the school is doing what it can with the new facilities. The indoor and Strength and Conditioning Center are putting us at least in a position of having facilities that are at least competitive with a lot of our peers. I do think the school needs to create an atmosphere from the top down of wanting to be better in football and basketball. The size of the school and the academics are always going to make it harder though.

Just curious, what kind of changes? We are pouring money into facilities like we are actually a big boy. I travel to schools across the country and our facilities are better than 90% of them.

Players. We need football players who are not pre-med students. Simple answer. Been there for decades. And if Wake decides it's NOT going to pursue players who can compete at this level, then see my earlier posts. Does this mean relaxing academic standards? Yep. It does. Oh, the horror.

I have faith Clawson is trying as hard as possible. But, until he's given a green light to get players who can compete against the Clemsons and FSUs, this is a total waste of time.

Last edited:
Well I think the school is doing what it can with the new facilities. The indoor and Strength and Conditioning Center are putting us at least in a position of having facilities that are at least competitive with a lot of our peers. I do think the school needs to create an atmosphere from the top down of wanting to be better in football and basketball. The size of the school and the academics are always going to make it harder though.

Facilites lol:

Wake is making millions of dollars worth of “shit”. The past decade of effort are not going to erase a century of just sitting on the pot immediately. I do believe that progress is being made.

Players. We need football players who are not pre-med students. Simple answer. Been there for decades. And if Wake decides it's NOT going to pursue players who can compete at this level, then see my earlier posts. Does this mean relaxing academic standards? Yep. It does. Oh, the horror.

I have faith Clawson is trying as hard as possible. But, until he's given a green light to get players who can compete against the Clemsons and FSUs, this is a total waste of time.

I'm sure standards are already relaxed. We can't force a kid to pick us over a big state school they grew up watching.

Wake is making millions of dollars worth of “shit”. The past decade of effort are not going to erase a century of just sitting on the pot immediately. I do believe that progress is being made.

I'm not sure how making millions of dollars solves losing 63-3 to a division opponent. Herein lies the problem no one wants to discuss. We NEED ATHLETES!! And until the administration relaxes the standards for those athletes, this is futility. Spend $1 billion for all I care on facilities. Hell, spend a $20 billion. Until you get a 6'4", 225 lb receiver who has a 36" vertical leap, this ain't changing.

Good questions. All I know is WFU and I know we lost 63-3 and are not even close to being competitive with Clemson. As for the schools you mentioned, I guess they need to do their own research.

Kids played pretty damn bad and our style was overmatched against Clemson's D Line plus many other issues. Yes, Clemson is much more suited as a SEC Football school but College Athletics is driven by Conferences and many sports for many student athletes. That TV money allows WFU to succeed in Tennis, Soccer, Golf, and sometimes even in Baseball Basketball and YES Football (2006). Most sport, industry and concepts ebb and flow. Why don't you just go ahead NOW and pick your 24 best teams for NEXT year, split them into 2 x 12 team divisions to play each other round robin and the top 4 play their own playoff. No need for anyone else to even play.
Fyi, the two years after we lost 82-24, the following 2 year scores were 21-17 and 24-17. I guess we should have just quit since we're never going to be competitive, right?

I'm not sure how making millions of dollars solves losing 63-3 to a division opponent. Herein lies the problem no one wants to discuss. We NEED ATHLETES!! And until the administration relaxes the standards for those athletes, this is futility. Spend $1 billion for all I care on facilities. Hell, spend a $20 billion. Until you get a 6'4", 225 lb receiver who has a 36" vertical leap, this ain't changing.

Not sure if you are aware, but we recently received a commitment from the next Jimmy Graham/Khalil Mack hybrid player.

Did coredeac blow a fuse today or is he trolling? I think we’re all aware of the challenges we face. Giving up is not the answer.

Kids played pretty damn bad and our style was overmatched against Clemson's D Line plus many other issues. Yes, Clemson is much more suited as a SEC Football school but College Athletics is driven by Conferences and many sports for many student athletes. That TV money allows WFU to succeed in Tennis, Soccer, Golf, and sometimes even in Baseball Basketball and YES Football (2006). Most sport, industry and concepts ebb and flow. Why don't you just go ahead NOW and pick your 24 best teams for NEXT year, split them into 2 x 12 team divisions to play each other round robin and the top 4 play their own playoff. No need for anyone else to even play.
Fyi, the two years after we lost 82-24, the following 2 year scores were 21-17 and 24-17. I guess we should have just quit since we're never going to be competitive, right?

You didn't hear? FSU shut down their program after losing to Wake 30-0. Best decision they ever made.

Wake needs to be in a conference playing Rice and ODU and similar teams. We have absolutely no business playing the team we played today. This was a junior college team playing a lower-tier NFL team.

This whole argument is so dumb. We were up 42-3 against Rice at the half last week. We went 4-4 in the ACC last year.

We have a lot of injuries on defense, played really poorly, and lost badly today. Pull up your big boy pants and move on.

Look. I understand sucking the golden tit is what this is all about. I get it. My point is do you, us, we want to continue this futility in revenue sports OR do we want the university to make substantial changes to be competitive within this conference. It's a very simply proposition. I'm ALL for staying in the ACC IF Wake decides to actually compete rather than drawing a paycheck.

This whole argument is so dumb. We were up 42-3 against Rice at the half last week. We went 4-4 in the ACC last year.

We have a lot of injuries on defense, played really poorly, and lost badly today. Pull up your big boy pants and move on.

Argue why losing 63-3 on national television was good for our program. Go!

Baby steps. Get the facilities, then sign 2 4 star receivers that are the highest rated recruits in school history in the same class, then go to bowl games in 5 out of 6 years, then sign a top 30 class and then ease the academics juuuuust a smidge. Next thing you know...

Look. I understand sucking the golden tit is what this is all about. I get it. My point is do you, us, we want to continue this futility in revenue sports OR do we want the university to make substantial changes to be competitive within this conference. It's a very simply proposition. I'm ALL for staying in the ACC IF Wake decides to actually compete rather than drawing a paycheck.

What do we do to compete that’s different from Duke or Stanford?

Back