• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The O-Line

Argue why losing 63-3 on national television was good for our program. Go!

I’ll affirm that I cannot but it’s worse. I cannot argue it is good for the program that we lost twice on national television this season.

As bad as the O line was if we start Hinton and sit Hartman from the get go we probably do better. That was proven out once he came in. Last year he played well at Clemson leading us on 2 long TD drives. The D line was the real head scratcher. In all the years I have watched WF football that was the worst performance of D line tackling I can remember. They had 5 or 6 straight handoffs that went for 50+ yards and a score. Most were untouched. I can't ever remember a game where I've seen such a debacle at the line of scrimmage. In the second half Clemson wasn't even trying to score they were just running up the middle to run the clock and they had 3 long runs due to our matador defense. I'd say Clawson has much more to fix than the offense. This gets to desire and effort. Unfortunately, that can't be coached. I have to question ours at this point.

Our tackling reminds me of those carnival-style claw games where you pay a quarter to drop a claw over a stuffed animal. The game is rigged - the claw doesn't actually grasp, it just drops its arms loosely over the target item then slides harmlessly up and away. Every time I see an opposing ball carrier get past the line of scrimmage that's what I think about.

The loss of Herron on the OL was more damaging than the coaching staff anticipated. You don't lose your best offensive lineman and not pay a price.

The Clemson DL may be the best in college football. It showed why yesterday. Too fast and too strong for an OL in a two point stance. Clemson's linebackers and secondary are top notch as well. The fact that Clemson had a wake up call against Syracuse did the Deacs no favors. The epitome of a butt whipping.

I'm not sure how making millions of dollars solves losing 63-3 to a division opponent. Herein lies the problem no one wants to discuss. We NEED ATHLETES!! And until the administration relaxes the standards for those athletes, this is futility. Spend $1 billion for all I care on facilities. Hell, spend a $20 billion. Until you get a 6'4", 225 lb receiver who has a 36" vertical leap, this ain't changing.

Donavon Greene is 6’3” and plenty strong with a higher vertical than that plus 4.4 speed.

Wakes never going to have the kind of depth that Clemson has and when you just have massive amounts of injuries on the defensive end eventually you just run out of players.

Facilites lol:

A lot of that stuff is silly. Bowling alley? Slide? Putt-putt? The basketball court is cool but WF has tons of courts in Reynolds. We will have the huge weight room, cafeteria, meeting rooms, coaches offices, etc. and our building looks much nicer.

A lot of that stuff is silly. Bowling alley? Slide? Putt-putt? The basketball court is cool but WF has tons of courts in Reynolds. We will have the huge weight room, cafeteria, meeting rooms, coaches offices, etc. and our building looks much nicer.

It looks like a giant daycare facility.

We have a good OL. Clemson’s DL is maybe the best in the country. Everyone will struggle with them. Losing Phil hurt more than a little bit. It was a massive loss. We actually were competitive for about 1 quarter. We lost too many guys early. When the balance tipped it clearly was bad from there.

We have a good OL. Clemson’s DL is maybe the best in the country. Everyone will struggle with them. Losing Phil hurt more than a little bit. It was a massive loss. We actually were competitive for about 1 quarter. We lost too many guys early. When the balance tipped it clearly was bad from there.

our defense was competitive for a quarter; our offense was non-competitive from the start

we ran 21 plays in the first quarter for a total of 8 net yards

They had that stat that we had one pass to Dortch for 22 yards and 27 plays for 30 yards.

I’ll affirm that I cannot but it’s worse. I cannot argue it is good for the program that we lost twice on national television this season.

wait didn't we lose all three of our nationally televised games this season? or did we win one of them .... I thought we lost all three ....?

I thought we gave up close to 50 or more in all three nationally televised losses ...

The loss of Herron on the OL was more damaging than the coaching staff anticipated. You don't lose your best offensive lineman and not pay a price.

The Clemson DL may be the best in college football. It showed why yesterday. Too fast and too strong for an OL in a two point stance. Clemson's linebackers and secondary are top notch as well. The fact that Clemson had a wake up call against Syracuse did the Deacs no favors. The epitome of a butt whipping.

Not related to Wake directly, but 2 point stance isn’t the cause of the OL problem. Plenty of teams put guys in 2 point stances that have OL’s that are more than solid. Wake has had a crazy amount of injuries and any shuffling, especially with your top OL out, is going to show when the backups are young and not ready.

We beat Tx A&M because of the the grit and genius of John Wolford, and a good number of better defensive players who aren't Deacs anymore. Also, A&M wasn't that good. The most frustrating thing about being a Wake Forest fan is the naivete of most of our fans. I've been a Demon Deacon for over 40 years and only twice did I honestly think our football team had something truly special, a year or two during the Bill Dooley era , and from 2005 thru 2007 under Jim Grobe. Otherwise we're LOWF. That's not to suggest giving up hope. But it is to try to understand that there's no mystery behind a loss to Clemson or Notre Dame this season or any season. Being in the ACC in football is a privilege for us. It's ok if we're a perennial second tier team. That's just truth. Ask Duke, Pitt, Syracuse, UVA, GT, BC and even UNC if their conference football aspirations are legit. They're not. Clemson, VT, FSU, Miami, and sometimes NC State get the quality of athletes that win championships. With the rest of us it's luck, smoke and mirrors. This is a different truth than basketball where we have a reasonable chance of having very competitive players with the balance of the league. Of course Duke, UNC, Syracuse and Louisville have a history that the rest of us don't, but the gap isn't WIDE, like it is in football.

Wakes never going to have the kind of depth that Clemson has and when you just have massive amounts of injuries on the defensive end eventually you just run out of players.
I thought I heard Clawson say we have had 7 or 8 season ending injuries already this year.

Back