• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We’re going to slow the game down now, right?

thatguy2016

Reaction score
Our high tempo RPO means lots of plays for both the offense and the defense. That’s the plan.

In actuality what it has meant is that we are killing our defense. Note: our defense is bad from the start. But playing more plays, and having a 43 second 3 and out lead to more possessions per game, means that bad unit has more opportunity to be exposed. Tonight, Clawson said we couldn’t have played another quarter. We have no linebackers and no safeties left. His words.

So, we’re going to run clock at FSU, right? Please? And shorten the game?

Stubborn Dave doesn’t adjust his scheme for anybody

So, no.

That's not exactly true. We had a fairly inept O when he got here and we played it very slow and close to the vest. We tried hard to let the D win games for us. It didn't happen but he felt like it was our only chance to try and win.

However, I'm a bit perplexed with the decision to go fast right now too. Our worst side of the ball is clearly D. So why have them be on the field more? Seems like giving them a breather might be a better idea. I'm not at all convinced the benefits for the O in going fast offset the downsides to the D in going fast.

I don’t understand why teams with little depth (like us) go up-tempo versus teams like Clemson that have a sideline full of 4star dudes.

I don’t understand why teams with little depth (like us) go up-tempo versus teams like Clemson that have a sideline full of 4star dudes.

Right. Up tempo works well for us version less talented teams and kills us against more talented teams. We are stuck trying to win shootouts with a bad defense with little depth.

after we went down 42-3 Saturday, we seemed to figure out that maybe we should try to shorten the game; we did actually wait a few seconds between plays from that point on (the next WF drive was a 3 and out which took 2:10)

up to that point, we had 13 possessions with an average drive time of 81 seconds

playing fast didn't just hurt us for the Clemson game - now according to Clawson 5 of our 7 scholarship LB's are hurt

I thought we did a great job of shortening the game. It was over really quick. Sure if the defense hadn't played good those first 3 series, it could've been over even quicker, but all in all we really shortened it a lot.

after we went down 42-3 Saturday, we seemed to figure out that maybe we should try to shorten the game; we did actually wait a few seconds between plays from that point on (the next WF drive was a 3 and out which took 2:10)

up to that point, we had 13 possessions with an average drive time of 81 seconds

playing fast didn't just hurt us for the Clemson game - now according to Clawson 5 of our 7 scholarship LB's are hurt

THat's uhh, not good.

Back