• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at Florida State - October 20 3:30 ESPN2

Good grief, we aren't beating Louisville. We just got our asses handed to us by one of the two or three worst FSU teams in 40 years. Highly likely we don't win again this season. When's the last time we went winless in conference? Caldwell? Today was very reminiscent of that era.

Luke Masterson had some good plays behind the line of scrimmage. Not what you need to say about a safety.

It’s a 3 score game with plenty of time. Try to win.

This is what I didn’t get. Just totally quit with 25 min to go

While I think we suck, I give Clawson a pass this season.

We have a very small margin of error for success and a ton of issues this year.

Should be improved the next couple of years, I think. Assuming we can figure out how to not be shockingly terrible on defense.

Agree that the up-tempo is not a good idea when our defense is this bad... Too many chances for them to get exposed and way too much time on the field.

What do you mean by a “pass?”

What do you mean by a “pass?”

He didn’t suck as a coach before this year. So I have a lot of evidence that he can get the job done.

Individual seasons can fall apart when you have injuries, lose talent to graduation, and have members of your coaching staff not getting it done.

I didn’t think we’d make a bowl this season based on schedule and personnel... But as much as 4-8 (or something close to it) sucks, it’s not reason enough for me to want to move on. Not even close.

So I’ll give him a pass, even though I don’t understand a lot of what I’m seeing on the field right now.

Our defense needs a full structural, systematic overhaul.

He didn’t suck as a coach before this year. So I have a lot of evidence that he can get the job done.

Individual seasons can fall apart when you have injuries, lose talent to graduation, and have members of your coaching staff not getting it done.

I didn’t think we’d make a bowl this season based on schedule and personnel... But as much as 4-8 (or something close to it) sucks, it’s not reason enough for me to want to move on. Not even close.

So I’ll give him a pass, even though I don’t understand a lot of what I’m seeing on the field right now.

So by "pass" you don't want to fire him. You still think he is at fault though.

If that's the case, I'm guessing everyone agrees with you (shout out to deaconbd).

I blame DC. When the ship sinks, it's the Captains fault. When the QBs , who have been here a couple of years, get beaten out by a HS kid, you have failed to develop. When your OL regressed, it's the coaches fault. When you give a tired defense two minutes of rest because you want to run a hurry up offense, it's the coaches fault. Larry Fedora used to be good too.

Last edited:
Hartman may struggle but he is better than Newman. Gotta think Hinton is better as well. Newman is not ready.

If that's the case, I'm guessing everyone agrees with you (shout out to deaconbd).

He’s “at fault” because he’s the head coach. I don’t blame him for the injuries or erratic QB play.

It’s also annoying that we still play the same style of game when we don’t currently have the personnel the execute it, but I can understand not changing your system when you have expectations to build the program over a period of seasons.

It helps that I had lower expectations heading into the season, I guess. Doesn’t make it more fun to watch us get our asses kicked, though.

Clawson is a proven coach everywhere he has been, we’ve been to 2 consecutive bowl games, so Clawson gets a pass in as much as this season won’t get him fired. It does count as a bad mark on his record and if we have another bad year next his seat gets real warm, so from that standpoint it’s not a “pass.” I think a true pass were his first 2 years here when he was having to dig out of the hole our program was in from the end of the Grobe era. I still love Grobe, but that’s the truth. Clawson is in his 5th year, all the kids he recruited, so he owns this year.

Incredibly crazy year though from an injury standpoint. Per DC’s press conference, we have one semi-healthy linebacker Strnad. Earlier this week in practice DJ Taylor was the only one, but Wednesday cam e down with mono. Masterson played his butt off at LB today by the way. I think he’s going to be a good one for us, hopefully eventually back at safety.

Lol if you think Clawson's seat gets "real warm" if we go 4-8 again next year. Not even close.

Hartman may struggle but he is better than Newman. Gotta think Hinton is better as well. Newman is not ready.

Newman didn’t look too bad throwing I thought, but he really seems to struggle with our RPO scheme. I think If Hinton hadn’t gotten suspended, he’d be have been the guy as long as he’d stayed healthy. Sam is the better thrower, but had Hinton not been suspended and not in flux between QB and WR, he’d be throwing the ball better than what we’ve seen from him this year because of reps. Sam will be good I think, you just hope this year doesnt ruin him. I remember worrying that Wolford’s human punching bag experience his first year might ruin him, but it didn’t.

Newman didn’t look too bad throwing I thought, but he really seems to struggle with our RPO scheme. I think If Hinton hadn’t gotten suspended, he’d be have been the guy as long as he’d stayed healthy. Sam is the better thrower, but had Hinton not been suspended and not in flux between QB and WR, he’d be throwing the ball better than what we’ve seen from him this year because of reps. Sam will be good I think, you just hope this year doesnt ruin him. I remember worrying that Wolford’s human punching bag experience his first year might ruin him, but it didn’t.

What happened to our vaunted ALL-ACC OL this season? I think we have players who are simply not P5-level talent.

Lol if you think Clawson's seat gets "real warm" if we go 4-8 again next year. Not even close.

So you don’t think a 3-9 season this year and a similar season next wouldn’t get his seat warm going into 2020?

Got the full Clawson press conference here from tonight.

Not exactly the tone I expected, but real good stuff from Clawson, I thought.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...e-post-38-17-loss-at-Florida-State-123584991/

Clawson is doing the best he can with the cards he was dealt. Lots of health issues this year on both sides of the ball - we have no linebackers and Dortch is our best player and can't stay healthy for a full game lately. He fired a Coordinator who was just terrible and is fixing the damage that was done there. Hartman shows potential but is far from a finished product. Taylor sucks, but hopefully he won't see the field next year unless its special teams. We need to stop playing zone with the DBs because they suck at it. Bassey can cover his man, but he's the only CB worth playing in the ACC.

Clawson is not the problem. We've had good recruiting at the Offensive skill positions and on the D Line. We need better recruits on the OLine and with the Linebackers and Defensive Secondary. Next season we should be back on schedule if we can avoid injuries and get some help in areas of need with some 2019 recruits.

Defense was obviously better when we had Elko coaching Marquel Lee, Duke, and a decent secondary. Bates last year was amazing, and in retrospect truly special because he carried that defense for the LBs and DBs by being all over the field and making plays. Take him away and we are giving up 8 touchdowns a game last year. Now we know what the weak spots are and I'm sure Clawson is working on fixing it. We need a good DCoordinator to come in next year, and we need more talent at LB and DB.

I'm still confident Clawson can get it done. I'm sure if he could go out there and play Safety and make sure these kids aren't blowing coverages he would. We are dealing with mostly subpar LBs and DBs, lack of depth, and trying to fix a broken defensive system left by Sawvel. Won't be fixed this year, and that sucks, but I have a feeling next year we'll have an 8 win season.

What happened to our vaunted ALL-ACC OL this season? I think we have players who are simply not P5-level talent.

They have been a huge disappointment for sure. Losing Heron really hurt as I do think Haynes, Anderson and Heron are good P5 level talent. The other guys aren’t, they’ve matured gotten stronger, but aren’t athletic enough I don’t think. People think lineman just need to be big and strong, but at this level, they’ve got to be a lot more athletic than people think.

So you don’t think a 3-9 season this year and a similar season next wouldn’t get his seat warm going into 2020?
If we go 4-8 this year and 4-8 again next year, nope, don't think his seat gets warm really at all. This is Wake Forest football.

Back