• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at Florida State - October 20 3:30 ESPN2

A few thoughts:

1. Would love to get an injury report, particularly on Dortch, LB's and DB's. Will be interesting to see if we shake things up a bit in the lineup. Hope Nasir is back as he I showing real potential.

2. Wonder if Mike Allen will get some PT at DE this game. FSU does not have a great OL, and we sure need some better pass rush. Calhoun had an active game against Tulane but has been invisible since.

3. What is up with Newman? He was dressed for Clemson game but did not wear his helmet. Surprised he did not get in the game. Would like to see him get some PT with the 1's against FSU.

Not too optimistic going forward but sure hope i'm very wrong. Playing a freshman QB at GOWF is much different than playing one at a Top 15 program.
I'm unconvinced the QB and his team are on the same page. At places like WF that usually takes some time, a la, John Wolford. Hopefully, they come together playing away from home. If not, expect more of the same---Defense plays well for awhile and then has the inevitable let down after Offense fails to capitalize.

This is Coach Clawson's time to work some magic.

Not too optimistic going forward but sure hope i'm very wrong. Playing a freshman QB at GOWF is much different than playing one at a Top 15 program.
I'm unconvinced the QB and his team are on the same page. At places like WF that usually takes some time, a la, John Wolford. Hopefully, they come together playing away from home. If not, expect more of the same---Defense plays well for awhile and then has the inevitable let down after Offense fails to capitalize.

This is Coach Clawson's time to work some magic.

Wolford early struggles had nothing to do with "not being on the same page," it had everything to do with not having an offensive line that could protect him a lick. He had no chance his first couple of years. The disappointing thing for Sam so far this year, is against good teams, he's dealing with the same thing. The OL was supposed to be a strength this year and it hasn't been. Yeah we lost Herron, but everybody else has stayed healthy for the most part. Any QB needs decent protection to succeed, that is even more important when you've got a true freshman back there.

WF's chances on Saturday come down to the extent the defense recovers from the rash of injuries and to the extent that the staff was able to use the last two weeks to build some defensive continuity. If the game is close heading into the 4th quarter, like WF's chances because FSU has repeatedly thrown up on itself in tight situations this year. The fear is that, like WF three losses to date, the defense has let the game get away by giving up big play after big play. The WF offense is decent, but not good enough to keep pace with opponents that are scoring at will.

FSU's front 7 is still very stout. They only give up 4.4 yards per play (9th nationally) including 2.8 yards per rush (6th). I'm concerned the OL will get blown up once again all day long.

Our defense couldn't tackle a naked cheerleader. We will be 3-9 at season's end. That would make Clawson's overall record 24-38. Hmmm.

Our defense couldn't tackle a naked cheerleader. We will be 3-9 at season's end. That would make Clawson's overall record 24-38. Hmmm.

How many wins in 2016 (football)?

3. Fuck you, Ron Wellman.

I don't think we'll get that 6th win. Virginia has improved as has BC. As always, forget Clemson and Louisville.

2017 basketball

We ain't goin" 500 in this conference.

2018 football 10/10/17 (record: 4-2)

It would be awful to finish 4-8, but I can see that happening as well.

2018 football 10/26/17 (record: 4-3)

I have this awful feeling that we're going to finish 4-8. It's just the Wake Forest in me.

What walk-ons have been playing on defense? We started a walk-on last year at linebacker, so I don't see that as a good excuse. We've had injuries, specifically at linebacker and to a lesser extent our DL. We haven't had Henderson consistently and Glenn missed a game. Masterson missed a few but didn't overlap with Glenn. I get that injuries at LB are A reason our defense blows, but not THE reason. It is a shame that we are essentially wasting one of our missed set of Defensive Tackles in a while.

The truth is that under Elko, we used a bend don't break and cause turnovers defense. And it worked. It is a defense that is susceptible to an accurate and athletic QB. Fortunately, we didn't play too many of those. This year in particular, we have faced a few of those. Still, our bend don't break d hasn't caused enough turnovers and has turned into an olay defense.

I don’t know the names but Clawson said of our 7 healthy linebackers only 2 are on scholarship.

I hope that helps

Looks like we called it on the line - it’s 10 with a total of 60. So a 35-25 type of game.

If they’re right we need 36 to win.

Wolford early struggles had nothing to do with "not being on the same page," it had everything to do with not having an offensive line that could protect him a lick. He had no chance his first couple of years. The disappointing thing for Sam so far this year, is against good teams, he's dealing with the same thing. The OL was supposed to be a strength this year and it hasn't been. Yeah we lost Herron, but everybody else has stayed healthy for the most part. Any QB needs decent protection to succeed, that is even more important when you've got a true freshman back there.

Agree about Wolford. With Sam and his OL I do think there is some disconnect or drop off. It must be frustrating to OLmen when the QB doesn’t operate the RPO like a veteran such as Wolford. Hopefully, the OL will pick up the slack in these next six games so Sam can improve even more than he already has. Sam keeps building respect I presume.

I don’t know the names but Clawson said of our 7 healthy linebackers only 2 are on scholarship.

I hope that helps

He also said of our 9 scholarship LB's, 2 are not injured.

This is from Rivals, where Mike Farrell listed Sam Hartman as the #12 Freshman playing (go us)

"The skinny: Hartman made a commitment to Wake Forest during the summer leading up to his junior season and never wavered on his word. His older brother had played in Winston-Salem, which helped the Demon Deacons with his recruitment."

I know that Demetri Allison played at Elon and Joe Hartman played baskeball at Haverford. Do any of you know what Mike is talking about?

Why is it so quiet before a big game with FSU?
We win this and we’re hopefully back on track for a decent season.
Lose it and the remainder of the season is pretty scetchy.

From Chris Fallica's (the Bear on ESPN Gameday) twitter:

FSU is 1-4 ATS with 2 outright losses as a favorite this year. FSU is also 4-10 ATS in its last 14 games as a double-digit favorite vs P5 teams. Wake is 0-3 ATS as a dog this year, losing by 7, 29 and 60. Entering the year, Wake was 11-2 ATS with 5 outright wins in prev 13 games as a dog.

Classic battle of the resistible force meeting the easily movable object.

Last edited:
Why is it so quiet before a big game with FSU?
We win this and we’re hopefully back on track for a decent season.
Lose it and the remainder of the season is pretty scetchy.

I can answer. Our coach said we ran out of players against Clemson and could not have played another quarter.

Even with our starters we give up 40-50 points a game.

Everyone here is taking the easy money betting the mortgage on FSU figuring we lose 48-20 at best

All I know is if I'm playing draftkings, I'm playing any offensive guy against the Wake D. :couch:

Back