• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at Florida State - October 20 3:30 ESPN2

They have been a huge disappointment for sure. Losing Heron really hurt as I do think Haynes, Anderson and Heron are good P5 level talent. The other guys aren’t, they’ve matured gotten stronger, but aren’t athletic enough I don’t think. People think lineman just need to be big and strong, but at this level, they’ve got to be a lot more athletic than people think.

Well really at Tackle. Interior Linemen need to be cerebral. Our Tackles are too slow and get beat by speed, and too weak and get bull rushed back.

If we go 4-8 this year and 4-8 again next year, nope, don't think his seat gets warm really at all. This is Wake Forest football.

I think that would put a good bit of pressure on him to have a good year in 2020 and that is a warm seat in my opinion.

Somebody else said this and I have been saying it forever - Wake can't afford to go 2 and 3 deep on the depth chart. Not at multiple positions at least. We need to redshirt a lot of guys and play guys that have been in the program 2 plus years. You lose a Bates early to the draft and you end up playing a converted WR at safety. It seems like we have been playing guys that aren't ready yet at CB for the last several years. Next thing you know you are playing a back-up safety at LB. We are back to playing a 3 star as a true frosh QB. Stuff like that doesn't lend itself to winning football. Not sure who you blame, if you blame anyone at all, but the Hinton suspension, the injuries, the DC situation, etc, have made for a tough situation. But hey, there are still 5 games left, so let's see what happens. At least we haven't had an ex-player/coach give our plays away ... at least that we know of.

Somebody else said this and I have been saying it forever - Wake can't afford to go 2 and 3 deep on the depth chart. Not at multiple positions at least. We need to redshirt a lot of guys and play guys that have been in the program 2 plus years. You lose a Bates early to the draft and you end up playing a converted WR at safety. It seems like we have been playing guys that aren't ready yet at CB for the last several years. Next thing you know you are playing a back-up safety at LB. We are back to playing a 3 star as a true frosh QB. Stuff like that doesn't lend itself to winning football. Not sure who you blame, if you blame anyone at all, but the Hinton suspension, the injuries, the DC situation, etc, have made for a tough situation. But hey, there are still 5 games left, so let's see what happens. At least we haven't had an ex-player/coach give our plays away ... at least that we know of.

These are all of Dave Clawson's players and this is his fifth year. We have had shitty luck this year. But, so have many other teams. As I've posted on other threads, the problem is not solely on coaching. Not close.

Wake Forest must decide if it wants to be a highly competitive P5 program. It starts with Hatch, the BOT, alumni, fans and the dumbass we call an AD. That's a huge ask given Wake's culture. Perhaps things will change but until deep, fundamental changes are made, things will remain pretty much the same. Have one or two 6 win seasons and then regress. It's about talent. Coaching helps. But it starts with talent.

These are all of Dave Clawson's players and this is his fifth year. We have had shitty luck this year. But, so have many other teams. As I've posted on other threads, the problem is not solely on coaching. Not close.

Wake Forest must decide if it wants to be a highly competitive P5 program. It starts with Hatch, the BOT, alumni, fans and the dumbass we call an AD. That's a huge ask given Wake's culture. Perhaps things will change but until deep, fundamental changes are made, things will remain pretty much the same. Have one or two 6 win seasons and then regress. It's about talent. Coaching helps. But it starts with talent.

What things need to be made?

There’s nothing inherent about Wake that makes it impossible to have depth. In fact, one of the biggest parts of Clawson’s job is to build depth.

Let’s not derail onto this again. Go look at his past comments.

Honestly, what things need to be changed? We have a new indoor practice facility. We have a a new (or upcoming) weight and performance center. The biggest thing that separates us from Clemson, Alabama, etc, is that they get 100K for their spring game and we get 25K for a regular season game. I'd love to hear how we change that.

There’s nothing inherent about Wake that makes it impossible to have depth. In fact, one of the biggest parts of Clawson’s job is to build depth.

I'm pretty sure that we have most or all of our scholarships filled. Do you think that we should be bringing in 20 plus guys per recruiting class that are ready to contribute as true frosh?

Totally, 100% agree. My point is we have depth of 2 and 3 stars. Clemson, FSU, Miami and VT have depth of 3, 4 and 5 stars.

Depth is only part of the problem. Quality of that depth is a much bigger part of the problem.

Totally, 100% agree. My point is we have depth of 2 and 3 stars. Clemson, FSU, Miami and VT have depth of 3, 4 and 5 stars.

Depth is only part of the problem. Quality of that depth is a much bigger part of the problem.

Yep, all we have to do is recruit at the level of Clemson, FSU, Miami, and VT. Problem solved - so simple.

So you think that "winning" would bring in a Wake attendance of 40K or so? Would bring in a spring game attendance of 20K?

If we won like Clemson and Alabama, definitely. And if they lost like Wake, they wouldn't be getting 100K for a Spring game.

Yep, all we have to do is recruit at the level of Clemson, FSU, Miami, and VT. Problem solved - so simple.

I never said it was simple. I said it's what will be required if Wake wants to be a legitimate contender and win "championships". It won't happen. I said it's what is required to happen.

So, I long ago resigned myself to being happy with 6 and 7 win seasons. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm perfectly happy with what success we have because I realize Wake will never change. I did.

If we won like Clemson and Alabama, definitely. And if they lost like Wake, they wouldn't be getting 100K for a Spring game.

That’s the truth. If Rat Face didn’t win games like he does, they sure wouldn’t be filling that dump of a basketball arena.

I'm pretty sure that we have most or all of our scholarships filled. Do you think that we should be bringing in 20 plus guys per recruiting class that are ready to contribute as true frosh?

You and I agree. Go read coredeac’s comments from last week. He can’t explain what needs to change, but that they need to and will argue for pages about it so instead of rehashing it just go read that so we dont have to go through it again.

I never said it was simple. I said it's what will be required if Wake wants to be a legitimate contender and win "championships". It won't happen. I said it's what is required to happen.

So, I long ago resigned myself to being happy with 6 and 7 win seasons. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm perfectly happy with what success we have because I realize Wake will never change. I did.

So you honestly think that Wake Forest could sell out a 100K seat stadium with 90% Wake Forest fans if they won a national title?

Last edited:

So you think Wake chooses to recruit at a level that is less than Clemson and FSU? That there are recruits that really want to come to Wake over FSU and Clemson but we "choose" to recruit other players instead?

Back