• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at Florida State - October 20 3:30 ESPN2

So you honestly think that Wake Forest could sell out a 100K seat stadium with 90% Wake Forest fans is they won a national title?

How in the hell you concluded that I'm arguing Wake could sell out a 100K seat stadium from my comments is simply mind-boggling. Are you even reading my comments?

I'll make this REALLY simple. Like, 3rd grade simple. IF YOU WANT TO WIN GAMES AND CHAMPIONSHIPS, YOU NEED PLAYERS WHO ARE EQUAL OR BETTER THAN YOUR OPPONENT. We currently don't have this.

What in God's name that statement has to do with 100K seat stadiums is beyond me.

How in the hell you concluded that I'm arguing Wake could sell out a 100K seat stadium from my comments is simply mind-boggling. Are you even reading my comments?

I'll make this REALLY simple. Like, 3rd grade simple. IF YOU WANT TO WIN GAMES AND CHAMPIONSHIPS, YOU NEED PLAYERS WHO ARE EQUAL OR BETTER THAN YOUR OPPONENT. We currently don't have this.

What in God's name that statement has to do with 100K seat stadiums is beyond me.

That was in response to PhDeac - he said that all we had to do is "win" and we would get the same support that Alabama and Clemson get. Good to know that you agree with me.

So - I ask again - in 3rd grade simple - what do we need to do to get players that are better than Clemson and FSU?

So you think Wake chooses to recruit at a level that is less than Clemson and FSU? That there are recruits that really want to come to Wake over FSU and Clemson but we "choose" to recruit other players instead?

NO!!!!! I do not think Wake "chooses" to recruit at that level. WHY IS THIS SO DAMN HARD!?!?!

I'm simply stating that Wake Forest (that school with the big pointy chapel and quad and pretty campus) needs to decide if it wants to admit athletes who can compete with FSU, Clemson and other top Power 5 schools. Not every kid is pre-med.

Will Wake do this? NO! Am I content it won't? YES.

But, this talk of "championships" and "cutting down nets" is futile unless the university decides it wants to recruit at the level required to compete amongst the best of the best programs. It ain't happening.
Thus, I'm perfectly content realizing 6 and 7 win seasons are good seasons in football.

Wake still clings to the thought that football and basketball players should attend regular classes like, you know, students.

NO!!!!! I do not think Wake "chooses" to recruit at that level. WHY IS THIS SO DAMN HARD!?!?!

I'm simply stating that Wake Forest (that school with the big pointy chapel and quad and pretty campus) needs to decide if it wants to admit athletes who can compete with FSU, Clemson and other top Power 5 schools. Not every kid is pre-med.

But, this talk of "championships" and "cutting down nets" is futile unless the university decides it wants to recruit at the level required to compete amongst the best of the best programs. It ain't happening.
Thus, I'm perfectly content realizing 6 and 7 win seasons are good seasons in football.

So you are saying that there are kids that want to come play football at Wake that are not being admitted/recruited and are having to settle for playing at Clemson and FSU instead?

Honestly, what things need to be changed? We have a new indoor practice facility. We have a a new (or upcoming) weight and performance center. The biggest thing that separates us from Clemson, Alabama, etc, is that they get 100K for their spring game and we get 25K for a regular season game. I'd love to hear how we change that.

So you think that "winning" would bring in a Wake attendance of 40K or so? Would bring in a spring game attendance of 20K?

If we won like Clemson and Alabama, definitely. And if they lost like Wake, they wouldn't be getting 100K for a Spring game.

For accuracy. Getting in random arguments and misrepresenting people isn’t a good look, Bubble Boy.

I will eat my words and admit that Newman looked pretty bad out there with the RPO, and that Hartman has a better grasp on things there. But I still like Hinton and think he gives us more, at least for this year.

Hartman will be a stud with time. But I am much more disappointed with our wide receivers. Numbers 1 and 7 have not had good years, particularly against P5 teams. Neither of them are getting open consistently and Scotty is back to freshman form with all the drops. Surratt was a stud against Tulane. Time to also give Steve Claude, Waydale and Perry a look. Thankfully, we are finally throwing some to the TE's.

Amazing that Wake did not record a single sack against an O-line that was derided as the worst in the ACC.

Amazing that Wake did not record a single sack against an O-line that was derided as the worst in the ACC.

And last year we set the program (maybe conference?) record with 18 TFL, including a bunch of sacks, against that line. Defense is just sad this year, including the DL.

So the BOT and Hatch are preventing us from recruiting talent? I would posit that Wake Forest would enroll up to 90% of the football players on ACC teams today and 95% of the basketball players.

So the BOT and Hatch are preventing us from recruiting talent? I would posit that Wake Forest would enroll up to 90% of the football players on ACC teams today and 95% of the basketball players.

Exactly. Bothers me when people attempt to trot out admissions standards as massive roadblock for WF athletics. WF does have rules that limit JC transfers, but that is about as far as WF goes to limit the pool of talent that the football or basketball team can bring in. If the player qualifies, even after not qualifying out of HS, but takes a PG year, WF will admit that player. The are several examples of WF admitting players that qualified by slim margins. WF had a 20 year run of success under GDO and Prosser, and academics were never a roadblock for WF going after whomever we wanted (again, including kids that had to take a PG year to qualify). Same story for football.

Exactly. Bothers me when people attempt to trot out admissions standards as massive roadblock for WF athletics. WF does have rules that limit JC transfers, but that is about as far as WF goes to limit the pool of talent that the football or basketball team can bring in. If the player qualifies, even after not qualifying out of HS, but takes a PG year, WF will admit that player. The are several examples of WF admitting players that qualified by slim margins. WF had a 20 year run of success under GDO and Prosser, and academics were never a roadblock for WF going after whomever we wanted (again, including kids that had to take a PG year to qualify). Same story for football.

Grobe certainly spoke of academic standards as a roadblock as did Dooley albeit off microphone.

Back