• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Many Wins Will 2018-19 Wake Forest Basketball Have on Selection Sunday?

How many wins for WF on Selection Sunday (excluding exhibition)?

• 0-11

Votes: 23 17.3%

Votes: 20 15.0%

Votes: 28 21.1%

Votes: 15 11.3%

Votes: 14 10.5%

Votes: 9 6.8%

Votes: 12 9.0%

Votes: 7 5.3%

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 20 or more

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't disagree, but I think the way he handled Dino screwed him with Bzz. If you get rid of two coaches in a row after such a short period of time, one of which was off a tournament appearance, it's gonna be even harder than it already is to get somebody to come work for you

Heard that a lot but I don't think anyone would have held firing BZ after 2 years against you. If they would, you don't need someone that insecure in the head coaching spot anyway.

After 2 years, Wake was still a prime landing spot for a coach. You may not have been able to land a big name coach, but an up and comer is what you need anyway.

Heard that a lot but I don't think anyone would have held firing BZ after 2 years against you. If they would, you don't need someone that insecure in the head coaching spot anyway.

After 2 years, Wake was still a prime landing spot for a coach. You may not have been able to land a big name coach, but an up and comer is what you need anyway.

Firing Dino when he did (instead of waiting a year and doing a proper coaching search) and hiring a guy like [Redacted] should have been a career defining decision for Wellman. And a school that gave a shit about athletics would have made that clear to him.

After the Iona game in year 3 of [Redacted], Battle should have been appointed interim and Wellman quietly told to retire at the end of the year. Hire a search committee to find a new AD and then basketball coach with the AD being hired in time to take over the process before March Madness starts.

If Wake starts off this season in a similar fashion to that season I wouldn’t be opposed to the BOT taking this approach.

Firing Dino when he did (instead of waiting a year and doing a proper coaching search) and hiring a guy like [Redacted] should have been a career defining decision for Wellman. And a school that gave a shit about athletics would have made that clear to him.

After the Iona game in year 3 of [Redacted], Battle should have been appointed interim and Wellman quietly told to retire at the end of the year. Hire a search committee to find a new AD and then basketball coach with the AD being hired in time to take over the process before March Madness starts.

If Wake starts off this season in a similar fashion to that season I wouldn’t be opposed to the BOT taking this approach.

Good post. Not going to happen though. Wellman will continue to retire on the job for the next 10 years.

It is really hard to look through all the games on our schedule and find more than 13 wins this season. If we somehow exceed that and get to a 500 season we will have to have found out how to play defense for the first time in the Danny Manning era.

It is really hard to look through all the games on our schedule and find more than 13 wins this season. If we somehow exceed that and get to a 500 season we will have to have found out how to play defense for the first time in the Danny Manning era.

If I could make one awful take disappear from these boards I think this would be it.

If I could make one awful take disappear from these boards I think this would be it.

You see defense and offense as interchangeable. If you are good enough at one, it can make up for a short coming on the other. As a theory that may be true.

The difference is that a coach can have a greater effect on defense than offense. If a player comes to wake with a broken jump shot, or no handles, it is a major long term project to fix. You can teach post moves and foot work but results will take a long time to really show.

Strong defense is mostly a measure of athleticism, desire, and attention. Granted that exceptional defensive play cannot just be taught, but competent to good defense can be quickly taught so long as the player has the requisite athleticism. Wake has had plenty of athletic players that routinely play bad defense. I think part of it is a lack of emphasis or an inability to teach defense.

It appears that there is also a lack of consistent effort on defense. This is likely a result of not not holding players accountable for their defense or a lack of motivation.

If you watched Ryan Odom's teams play, you could see a lack of overall talent and athleticism but their defense was better than anything in a Wake uniform in a long time.

Wake is never going to be able to recruit at a level to win with this kind of a defensive effort. I don't think any team really can.

Last edited:
If I recall you were in favor of giving Manning this year. You now believe it would take damn near a miracle for him to succeed at a level that would justify keeping him.

Would it not have been far better to let him go before he needed a miracle season to save his job?

That’s what happens when Doral Moore, Bryant Crawford, Donavan Mitchell, and Keyshawn Woods all leave during the off-season.

If BC, Moore, and Mitchell stay I think we make the NCAA tourney. But they didn’t and that is on the staff.

I think Manning deserved this year. But it is on him to prove he deserves to stay.

You see defense and offense as interchangeable. If you are good enough at one, it can make up for a short coming on the other. As a theory that may be true.

The difference is that a coach can have a greater effect on defense than offense. If a player comes to wake with a broken jump shot, or no handles, it is a major long term project to fix. You can teach post moves and foot work but results will take a long time to really show.

Strong defense is mostly a measure of athleticism, desire, and attention. Granted that exceptional defensive play cannot just be taught, but competent to good defense can be quickly taught so long as the player has the requisite athleticism. Wake has had plenty of athletic players that routinely play bad defense. I think part of it is a lack of emphasis or an inability to teach defense.

It appears that there is also a lack of consistent effort on defense. This is likely a result of not not holding players accountable for their defense or a lack of motivation.

If you watched Ryan Odom's teams play, you could see a lack of overall talent and athleticism but their defense was better than anything in a Wake uniform in a long time.

Wake is never going to be able to recruit at a level to win with this kind of a defensive effort. I don't think any team really can.

This would be a close second

That’s what happens when Doral Moore, Bryant Crawford, Donavan Mitchell, and Keyshawn Woods all leave during the off-season.

If BC, Moore, and Mitchell stay I think we make the NCAA tourney. But they didn’t and that is on the staff.

I think Manning deserved this year. But it is on him to prove he deserves to stay.

Fair enough, I guess. There was something unpleasant about last year causing such an exodus. Very similar to what happened after the second year of BZ.

One would hope that an AD would look at this much discontent and not automatically assume the problem is not with the coach he hired. Then again, one would hope their AD were not Ron Wellman.

This would be in the top 10.

The other option is to list all the reasons your opinions are childish and asinine. Then you could respond in kind.

I prefer we just disagree as I you have made it quite plain that you are not open to changing your mind.

The other option is to list all the reasons your opinions are childish and asinine. Then you could respond in kind.

I prefer we just disagreeas I you have made it quite plain that you are not open to changing your mind.

That’s exactly what the phrase “agree to disagree” means. Absent an actual agreement it just means you are unwilling to defend or entertain criticism of your position.

jesus christ now you're arguing the definition of phrases please shut the fuck up all of you

We were talking about basketball. You're talking about the what "agree to disagree means". Just stop it. It's awful.

Back