• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Melo Eggleston Leaves the Program

This discussion has become exhausting to read through.

Trump ran and enough people in the right places voted for him.

Come up with a comparable reason why Manning is still our coach.

Because you don't fire him a few weeks before the start of the season??? Because then nobody in their right mind would ever take the job???

You have to get over yourself but also you have to let go of this year. He's the coach this year and if he is gone at year's end with Hoard following him by entering his name in the draft, you need to hope that Sarr and Mucius and Wynn and Lewis and Wright are ACC level players.

I just find it an incredibly stupid argument today. Start it back up in April dude. That equals logic. What your doing equals hot air and stupidity. And btw, a waste of that hot air and your time.

Which is why many of us wanted a new coach back in March 2018. What's happened in this last 7 months was the most obvious outcome. We can't act surprised that recruits don't want come here. We can't act surprised players have transferred. We shouldn't act surprised when players transfer or leave early after the season.

My POV has been that he gets somewhat of pass on last season being a disaster... I think March 2018 was too early, but I get it. Prepared to move on if things suck this year. Maybe there will be better candidates available than this last offseason.

My POV has been that he gets somewhat of pass on last season being a disaster... I think March 2018 was too early, but I get it. Prepared to move on if things suck this year. Maybe there will be better candidates available than this last offseason.

I thought that it was a #newbeginning

Manning needs at least five more years, imo

This is such a non-event. Melo was going to be deep on the bench this year and next after not playing much last year. We took a shot on a guy looked good before a HS injury and who has family ties to the Wake bball program. It didn't work out.

Many of the same people who say we should give out all thirteen scholarships are saying this is a disaster or shows something about the program. It doesn't.

Danny has to put up or get gone after this season. Melo has little to nothing to with this decision.

What a bullshit statement.

We did not have a bad basketball program in March 2017. We were fresh off an NCAAT appearance, were returning almost our entire team, the core being juniors and seniors, had a top 35 recruit coming in, and were in the driver’s seat for a 5* recruit in the 2018 class.

The program was in a tenuous position for sure, but it was not bad by any measure (it wasn’t great or even very good by any measure either, but apparently that’s not the question).

Moving forward from March 2017, both of the following are true:

1. Had John Collins and Dinos Mitoglou, or just John Collins (or maybe even just Dinos), stayed for last season we would not have a bad basketball program.

2. Manning’s failings as a coach resulted in us reverting to being a bad basketball program.

Because you don't fire him a few weeks before the start of the season??? Because then nobody in their right mind would ever take the job???

You have to get over yourself but also you have to let go of this year. He's the coach this year and if he is gone at year's end with Hoard following him by entering his name in the draft, you need to hope that Sarr and Mucius and Wynn and Lewis and Wright are ACC level players.

I just find it an incredibly stupid argument today. Start it back up in April dude. That equals logic. What your doing equals hot air and stupidity. And btw, a waste of that hot air and your time.

You brought up Trump. Start that back up in November 2020.

I can talk about what a moronic decision it was to keep Manning 7 months ago.

Which is why many of us wanted a new coach back in March 2018. What's happened in this last 7 months was the most obvious outcome. We can't act surprised that recruits don't want come here. We can't act surprised players have transferred. We shouldn't act surprised when players transfer or leave early after the season.

What exactly changes from the last 7 months if we hire a new coach last March? Let’s give Wellman the benefit of the doubt and assume he reels in a Brad Brownell or Jim Christian. What does our roster look like this year? Recruiting class?

Genuinely curious.

Brad Brownell was on the hot seat before last season. Why would we want a guy who has had one good year this decade?

What exactly changes from the last 7 months if we hire a new coach last March? Let’s give Wellman the benefit of the doubt and assume he reels in a Brad Brownell or Jim Christian. What does our roster look like this year? Recruiting class?

Genuinely curious.
Lol, such cherry-picked examples to try to draw an argument. Never change.

Genuinely curious.

It's an actual #newbeginning. Recruiting tends to be stronger during this honeymoon period when a coach is recruiting on hope, not results.

It's an actual #newbeginning. Recruiting tends to be stronger during this honeymoon period when a coach is recruiting on hope, not results.

So of the 5 guys that left with eligibility remaining, who stays? Do we lose anyone that is currently on the roster? What does our class look like at this point? Did we land Harris? Moore?

Eh. That kind of feels like the direction Wellman will lean in and that’s probably the ceiling of the type of guy he can bring in.

At least now I somewhat understand RChilds's belligerence. He thinks Brownell is on the high end of Wake's potential hires.

I would take Ryan Odom today. No chance he says no. I would even be okay with that guy up in Greensboro. This is not the NBA. You don't have to recycle the same guys over and over.

Lots of good young coaches out there.

So of the 5 guys that left with eligibility remaining, who stays? Do we lose anyone that is currently on the roster? What does our class look like at this point? Did we land Harris? Moore?

Would some of the 7 players that left have stayed if they felt there would be a competent coach at the helm?

We did not have a bad basketball program in March 2017. We were fresh off an NCAAT appearance, were returning almost our entire team, the core being juniors and seniors, had a top 35 recruit coming in, and were in the driver’s seat for a 5* recruit in the 2018 class.

The program was in a tenuous position for sure, but it was not bad by any measure (it wasn’t great or even very good by any measure either, but apparently that’s not the question).

Moving forward from March 2017, both of the following are true:

1. Had John Collins and Dinos Mitoglou, or just John Collins (or maybe even just Dinos), stayed for last season we would not have a bad basketball program.

2. Manning’s failings as a coach resulted in us reverting to being a bad basketball program.

First, you said he was the answer through 2017. Let me remind you that our record in 2015 was 13-19 and our record in 2016 was 11-20. We were decent in 2017 at 19-14. That does not equate as being "the answer" to me and I suspect most fans feel the same way. Spare me the excuses for the record. I see you have a ton of them for 2018. Its like you have some super insight into a parallel universe where Collins and Dinos stayed and saw us winning more frequently and making a tourney run. I can play that game too and say that my model had Collins going down to an ACL tear and Dino's developing a back problem. Both are absurd projections. Lets rejoin reality where we went 11-20 in 2018 and our prospects for 2019 don't look great. What can't you see what the recruiting class of 2019 can? Our program has been shit for 10 years, is shit now and will likely be shit in the near future.

You brought up Trump. Start that back up in November 2020.

I can talk about what a moronic decision it was to keep Manning 7 months ago.

Dude. That's my point. I am NOT talking about what a moronic decision it was to elect Trump. I find no value in playing out old arguments. There only two old arguments I would enter into a debate today:

1) It was criminal that the refs allowed Stanford to hack the shit out of the best college basketball player to play 4 years in college since Danny Manning (and none since) in the '97 West Regional
2) Miami was lucky as shit to win the 2013 NBA championship not because they got a lucky bounce that enabled the Ray Allen 3 from the corner, but because Lebron James was totally mentally defeated, did not pay attention in the team huddle after Kawhi caused two Lebron turnovers that should have cost them the championship. He didn't shoot the 3 he was supposed to take from the right spot, totally clanked a 3 and only the grace of god gave him a 2nd chance to make the next 3 to keep them breathing.

That's it.

Would some of the 7 players that left have stayed if they felt there would be a competent coach at the helm?

That statement ignores the current college basketball reality. Kids transfer or leave early everywhere. To use examples from nearby ACC schools, Duke and State both have had a ton of transfers and early departures with negative feelings in recent years.

In the end, a coach is defined by his record. Manning is in year 5, and his record is weak, but Melo's departure has nothing to do with Manning's program. Melo Eggleston was a reach recruit but appeared to have a high ceiling coming out of HS; it did not work out. If Melo hated the program, he would've transferred in the Spring. He transferred right after practice started because he saw that he wasn't going to get minutes. Kids like that transfer from every D-1 school.

Back