• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Melo Eggleston Leaves the Program

At least now I somewhat understand RChilds's belligerence. He thinks Brownell is on the high end of Wake's potential hires.

I would take Ryan Odom today. No chance he says no. I would even be okay with that guy up in Greensboro. This is not the NBA. You don't have to recycle the same guys over and over.

Lots of good young coaches out there.

I think Brownell’s profile prior to Clemson is on the high end of guys Wellman is likely to bring in.

First, you said he was the answer through 2017. Let me remind you that our record in 2015 was 13-19 and our record in 2016 was 11-20. We were decent in 2017 at 19-14. That does not equate as being "the answer" to me and I suspect most fans feel the same way. Spare me the excuses for the record. I see you have a ton of them for 2018. Its like you have some super insight into a parallel universe where Collins and Dinos stayed and saw us winning more frequently and making a tourney run. I can play that game too and say that my model had Collins going down to an ACL tear and Dino's developing a back problem. Both are absurd projections. Lets rejoin reality where we went 11-20 in 2018 and our prospects for 2019 don't look great. What can't you see what the recruiting class of 2019 can? Our program has been shit for 10 years, is shit now and will likely be shit in the near future.

Again, the answer to what?

As of March 2017, Manning was an answer to “not having a bad basketball program.” I’m not saying anything more or less than that.

I don't agree with an argument that says you have to keep a mediocre (at best) coach because you might not be able to hire someone better. As has been stated, there are a ton of good young coaches out there that may turn out to be special.

Because Brownell turned out to be somewhat of a dud for Clemson (arguable), that doesn't automatically eliminate anyone with a similar resume as pre-Clemson Brownell. You're a logic guy (ostensibly)... That should make sense to you.

My argument for not firing Manning last year was that I thought he deserved another year. It was just a nice bonus that nobody got hired in the last cycle that made me feel like we missed out on an opportunity (Chris Mack wasn't coming here over Louisville). If Manning gets fired after this season, maybe we can bring in someone better.

If not, maybe we can coax Bz out of retirement for a redemption tour.

Brownell did lead Clemson to 25 wins, a 3rd place ACC finish and a Sweet 16 last year. Are some contending that a coach of his ilk is beneath WF?

He is also 10-1 versus WF. Barf.

Last edited:
That statement ignores the current college basketball reality. Kids transfer or leave early everywhere. To use examples from nearby ACC schools, Duke and State both have had a ton of transfers and early departures with negative feelings in recent years.

In the end, a coach is defined by his record. Manning is in year 5, and his record is weak, but Melo's departure has nothing to do with Manning's program. Melo Eggleston was a reach recruit but appeared to have a high ceiling coming out of HS; it did not work out. If Melo hated the program, he would've transferred in the Spring. He transferred right after practice started because he saw that he wasn't going to get minutes. Kids like that transfer from every D-1 school.
When you have multiple players in back-to-back classes who are identified early in the recruiting cycle by Manning and then end up transferring because they aren't good enough, yes. Yes, that reflects poorly on Manning. Period.

First, you said he was the answer through 2017. Let me remind you that our record in 2015 was 13-19 and our record in 2016 was 11-20. We were decent in 2017 at 19-14. That does not equate as being "the answer" to me and I suspect most fans feel the same way. Spare me the excuses for the record. I see you have a ton of them for 2018. Its like you have some super insight into a parallel universe where Collins and Dinos stayed and saw us winning more frequently and making a tourney run. I can play that game too and say that my model had Collins going down to an ACL tear and Dino's developing a back problem. Both are absurd projections. Lets rejoin reality where we went 11-20 in 2018 and our prospects for 2019 don't look great. What can't you see what the recruiting class of 2019 can? Our program has been shit for 10 years, is shit now and will likely be shit in the near future.

There is no excuse for going 11-20 last year and you’d be hard pressed to find me offering any. There are reasons we went 11-20 though. Arguing that John Collins leaving wasn’t one of them would be as dumb as arguing that Manning wasn’t one of them.

I don't agree with an argument that says you have to keep a mediocre (at best) coach because you might not be able to hire someone better. As has been stated, there are a ton of good young coaches out there that may turn out to be special.

Because Brownell turned out to be somewhat of a dud for Clemson (arguable), that doesn't automatically eliminate anyone with a similar resume as pre-Clemson Brownell. You're a logic guy (ostensibly)... That should make sense to you.

My argument for not firing Manning last year was that I thought he deserved another year. It was just a nice bonus that nobody got hired in the last cycle that made me feel like we missed out on an opportunity (Chris Mack wasn't coming here over Louisville). If Manning gets fired after this season, maybe we can bring in someone better.

If not, maybe we can coax Bz out of retirement for a redemption tour.

I think y’all are looking for an argument I’m not making.

Why are there 12 pages to a thread about a player leaving who had about 12 DNPs last year?

Last edited:
Because he have too many idiot posters who like to hyperventilate about how bad wake bball is. The guy sucked. Who cares?

Why are there 12 pages to a thread about a player leaving who had about 12 DNPs last year?
Because he was the first player to commit to the 2017 class and was completely useless. Combined with 3 of 4 from the 2016 class gone by the end of their soph seasons, and yeah, Manning's recruiting certainly deserves criticism. Could definitely do without the pages of RChill crap, though.

Because Manning sucks as a coach and our program is in shambles? Because some of us are a bit more invested into Wake Forest than you are? Stick to writing about the travesty rather than telling fans what they should care about. Your predecessor looked foolish when he went down that road, and he actually had some history and fondness for the program from which to draw.

Go talk to some folks about the decades pre-[Redacted], gain some perspective and then start asking Wellman and Manning some real questions.

Last edited:
Because he was the first player to commit to the 2017 class and was completely useless. Combined with 3 of 4 from the 2016 class gone by the end of their soph seasons, and yeah, Manning's recruiting certainly deserves criticism. Could definitely do without the pages of RChill crap, though.

Lol. At least you are honest about simply wanting a thread where you can bitch about Wake basketball without any attempts at reasonable discussion or pushback on absurd claims. I get that. Start the thread and I’ll stay off of it.

Brownell did lead Clemson to 25 wins, a 3rd place ACC finish and a Sweet 16 last year. Are some contending that a coach of his ilk is beneath WF?

He is also 10-1 versus WF. Barf.

giphy.gif

Back