• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Melo Eggleston Leaves the Program

I don't agree with an argument that says you have to keep a mediocre (at best) coach because you might not be able to hire someone better. As has been stated, there are a ton of good young coaches out there that may turn out to be special.

Because Brownell turned out to be somewhat of a dud for Clemson (arguable), that doesn't automatically eliminate anyone with a similar resume as pre-Clemson Brownell. You're a logic guy (ostensibly)... That should make sense to you.

My argument for not firing Manning last year was that I thought he deserved another year. It was just a nice bonus that nobody got hired in the last cycle that made me feel like we missed out on an opportunity (Chris Mack wasn't coming here over Louisville). If Manning gets fired after this season, maybe we can bring in someone better.

If not, maybe we can coax Bz out of retirement for a redemption tour.

That was my argument and it was particularly specific to last year. John Collins was considered a huge win for the program at least as it related to recruits. He left a year or two ahead of schedule along with Dinos, and I thought firing Manning after last year would cause us to regress hiring wise. We arguably got our 3rd or 4th offer in Manning after Bzd, and firing Manning after last year, I think (and thought) would have resulted in a similar stymied hiring process with an AD that the hot young coaches we'd want might consider a Dead Man Walking whether true or not.

If we don't make a tourney this year, different story.

I hope he makes the NIT or higher because I want Manning to succeed. He is a good guy coach in an era where cheaters may end up getting hammered in the next year or two AND I don't want Wellman to make the next hire for a number of reasons including young hotshots will likely turn him down knowing they'd have to report to a different AD a year or two into their tenure.

Because Manning sucks and our program is in shambles? Because some of us are a bit more invested into Wake Forest than you are? Stick to writing about the travesty rather than telling fans what they should care about. Your predecessor looked foolish when he went down that road, and he actually had some history and fondness for the program from which to draw.

Which probably contributed to him falling asleep on the job, so to speak.

Lol. At least you are honest about simply wanting a thread where you can bitch about Wake basketball without any attempts at reasonable discussion or pushback on absurd claims. I get that. Start the thread and I’ll stay off of it.
Nah, it's not that. Your posting style is just insufferable. I don't fully agree with people like jaybone or ATS, but they're much easier to read.

The fact that this thread has more than double the posts than Melo had minutes last year probably means that some of you are overreacting about the significance of the transfer.

Nah, it's not that. Your posting style is just insufferable. I don't fully agree with people like jaybone or ATS, but they're much easier to read.

Yeah, I’m done.

I’m probably more on his side than most, but he’s beyond any kind of coherent argument at the moment.

Cryptic, vague, and arrogant isn’t fun to read.

The fact that this thread has more than double the posts than Melo had minutes last year probably means that some of you are overreacting about the significance of the transfer.

Disagree, its an indictment on the program. This by itself wouldn't be worth the effort to complain about. However, its a symptom of a much larger problem. Will Manning use this scholarship on another player that is deemed insignificant? 2019 will be holding back our next coach for years to come.

Melo Transferring is not an indictment of our program. He was not ACC level player and let’s dispel of the myth that a good coach could turn him into a Jamal Levy type player. Big time insult to Jamal.

Melo Transferring is not an indictment of our program. He was not ACC level player and let’s dispel of the myth that a good coach could turn him into a Jamal Levy type player. Big time insult to Jamal.

Who recruited him?

Our staff has recruited way too many players that are not acc level. That is a huge problem.

Idiot. Nobody wants to be there or come there. Who sees 7 players leave early and thinks the problem is with the players.

Wellman has managed to fuck up even worse this time.

I guess they are all just #walkaway.

I predicted all of this

Yeah, I’m done.

I’m probably more on his side than most, but he’s beyond any kind of coherent argument at the moment.

Cryptic, vague, and arrogant isn’t fun to read.

I’ll cop to one of those three (so as not to be cryptic, it’s the last one). My arguments are rarely vague and what comes off as cryptic is usually me trying to pin someone down premise by premise. I usually only do that when people have misconstrued or conveniently ignored part of my argument.

Disagree, its an indictment on the program. This by itself wouldn't be worth the effort to complain about. However, its a symptom of a much larger problem. Will Manning use this scholarship on another player that is deemed insignificant? 2019 will be holding back our next coach for years to come.

Surely you’re joking. (That was all three DATS).

Our staff has recruited way too many players that are not acc level. That is a huge problem.
Yeah, Eggleston committed over a year before he graduated from high school and was the first player to commit to the 2017 class. He wasn't some late guy they decided to take a flyer on to round out the class. And he averages 1.0 PPG with 10 DNPs in his frosh year before he departs. Same sort of story with Rich Washington (not to mention SJM and Mitchell). That's kind of a problem. Don't know why this is so hard for some people.

Last edited:
Back