• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Melo Eggleston Leaves the Program

I’ll cop to one of those three (so as not to be cryptic, it’s the last one). My arguments are rarely vague and what comes off as cryptic is usually me trying to pin someone down premise by premise. I usually only do that when people have misconstrued or conveniently ignored part of my argument.

No. You're just full of shit and don't have good debating skills. Outside of this, you're a winner! :)

When a player leaves the team right as practice starts, it’s very newsworthy especially if he’s one of four scholarship players we’ve actually seen play.

When a player leaves the team right as practice starts, it’s very newsworthy especially if he’s one of four scholarship players we’ve actually seen play.

I suppose it's negative if a player leaves whenever. But, the fact that some of us have "seen him play" has little bearing since what was seen wasn't special anyway. When you're trying to think of all the excuses for why we're no good for so long I guess you can run out of ideas. It's ok. In a perfect world Melo has opened up a scholly for the next Tim Duncan....

You're kidding right? Our exhibition is 3 weeks from tomorrow. Of course this is a big deal. We have four returning scholarship players and one left 3 weeks before the season starts.

Why are there 12 pages to a thread about a player leaving who had about 12 DNPs last year?

Because, Fuck Ron Wellman.

Also, While we are on the subject of unnecessary, bordering on insane internet ramblings, why would the Journal publish an editorial about how Jeff [Redacted] was a good but misunderstood basketball coach? Seriously, fuck that guy and any one who defends him.

We should all just admit to RC107 that Manning is indeed better than [Redacted] but still not good enough for Wake and move on from this bullshit.

Also, While we are on the subject of unnecessary, bordering on insane internet ramblings, why would the Journal publish an editorial about how Jeff [Redacted] was a good but misunderstood basketball coach? Seriously, fuck that guy and any one who defends him.

We should all just admit to RC107 that Manning is indeed better than [Redacted] but still not good enough for Wake and move on from this bullshit.

TITCR

Except for the inconvenient indisputable fact that buzz > manning

Our staff has recruited way too many players that are not acc level. That is a huge problem.

Richard Joyce, Todd Hendley, Jeremy Ingram, Cameron Stanley, Joe Dukes, Kevin Swinton. Every school outside of Duke/UNC recruits their fair share of non-ACC players. You have to take risks on some guys or fliers to fill out the class. It’s only a problem when the top of the class doesn’t hit.

The only duds Manning has brought in are SJM, Rich Wash, Melo, Mitchell (though many wouldn’t include him) and surely a couple in this class.

Manning has plenty of flaws as a coach, has created problems for himself, and failed to fix problems that were created for him. It shouldn’t be that hard to just criticize him for those problems.

I’ve been trying for at least a year and a half, maybe longer. Good luck.

I’ve been trying for at least a year and a half, maybe longer. Good luck.

Well, you either haven’t been very convincing, have a convoluted way of arguing that gets lost in the minutia of advanced statistics, have been a dick about it, or all three at the same time.

Taken by itself, Melo leaving is a non story. Problem is this is the 7th guy leaving early from a bad team.

BZ was unable to retain recruits as well. It is at the least an indicator that the program is not healthy.

Manning seems to be an okay recruiter, mediocre teacher and a poor strategist that does not bond with his players.

Good coaches have to find a way to relate to players. Defense is in part related to effort. Wakes defense has been depressingly bad since the day he arrived on campus.

It's almost as if Manning does not engender the passion necessary to play committed defense. Or to even stay on the team.

For those pushing the "Manning is the problem causing transfers" angle, let's put it this way: Melo would have known of those issues by the end of last season. A transfer over the summer would have made more sense if that was the case. Instead, announcing a transfer shortly after practice begins screams one thing: he started playing with the new guys and saw there may not be much PT for him.

For those pushing the "Manning is the problem causing transfers" angle, let's put it this way: Melo would have known of those issues by the end of last season. A transfer over the summer would have made more sense if that was the case. Instead, announcing a transfer shortly after practice begins screams one thing: he started playing with the new guys and saw there may not be much PT for him.

Or practice with Manning just reminded him why it sucked. Kinda like when I start to get excited about the upcoming season and one game in, I remember why we sucked the previous year.

It’s unlikely that Melo was ever going to contribute in a meaningful way. If you want to get upset about Manning recruiting him in the first place, go ahead, but that’s not a new story. The story of him transferring is basically a non-event and will have absolutely no impact on our results- either this year or in the future.

It’s unlikely that Melo was ever going to contribute in a meaningful way. If you want to get upset about Manning recruiting him in the first place, go ahead, but that’s not a new story. The story of him transferring is basically a non-event and will have absolutely no impact on our results- either this year or in the future.

That may be true. The wrecking ball that was Chas McFarland was awful as a freshman but had a pretty good impact later on.

The point is that you should not to cry about the canary dying.

Richard Joyce, Todd Hendley, Jeremy Ingram, Cameron Stanley, Joe Dukes, Kevin Swinton. Every school outside of Duke/UNC recruits their fair share of non-ACC players. You have to take risks on some guys or fliers to fill out the class. It’s only a problem when the top of the class doesn’t hit.

The only duds Manning has brought in are SJM, Rich Wash, Melo, Mitchell (though many wouldn’t include him) and surely a couple in this class.

Manning has plenty of flaws as a coach, has created problems for himself, and failed to fix problems that were created for him. It shouldn’t be that hard to just criticize him for those problems.
So 4 duds from the 2016 and 2017 classes, likely at least 1 dud from 2018, and (in your words) surely a couple more duds in 2019. So Manning is bringing in about 2 per class who have no business playing at this level. Yeah, sorry, not nearly good enough.

I’m sure you’ll do much better. Thanks for taking the torch.

Thanks. Torch taken, no need for you to argue with anyone about this anymore. I’ve got it under control.

Everyone, listen up, Manning’s degree of suckage is less than [Redacted]’s degree of suckage but he still is a pretty sucky coach, probably not ACC caliber, and he is not the answer to the question that Wake Forest Basketball has been asking since Skip died. Everyone more or less agrees with this (except Moonz), the only question is/was did he deserve a 5th season, he probably didn’t but with Wellman doing the hiring it probably doesn’t matter.

Back