• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Melo Eggleston Leaves the Program

For those pushing the "Manning is the problem causing transfers" angle, let's put it this way: Melo would have known of those issues by the end of last season. A transfer over the summer would have made more sense if that was the case. Instead, announcing a transfer shortly after practice begins screams one thing: he started playing with the new guys and saw there may not be much PT for him.

So your angle is even though he was one of four returners and outside of Hoard and Mucius, this recruiting class is very lowly ranked, Melo is scared he isn’t going to play.

So you’ve got us making the tournament this year?

Thanks. Torch taken, no need for you to argue with anyone about this anymore. I’ve got it under control.

Everyone, listen up, Manning’s degree of suckage is less than [Redacted]’s degree of suckage but he still is a pretty sucky coach, probably not ACC caliber, and he is not the answer to the question that Wake Forest Basketball has been asking since Skip died. Everyone more or less agrees with this (except Moonz), the only question is/was did he deserve a 5th season, he probably didn’t but with Wellman doing the hiring it probably doesn’t matter.

Nice work. You have the job.

Does this thread really need 15 pages of discussion??

Sorry Melo didn't work out but his jump shot is a disaster and needs time to work it out somewhere else.

At least this season will be intriguing in the sense that we haven't seen 75% of the team lace it up save for some fleeting moments watching Ikenna Smart play for the Buffalo Bulls in the NCAA Tourney. So we got that going for us, which is nice.

So 4 duds from the 2016 and 2017 classes, likely at least 1 dud from 2018, and (in your words) surely a couple more duds in 2019. So Manning is bringing in about 2 per class who have no business playing at this level. Yeah, sorry, not nearly good enough.

“This class” was referring to the current Freshmen, should have made that clear. Averaging 1-2 duds a class is fine (and par for the course for Wake Forest) as long as the other 2-3 guys in each class are more John Collins vs. Brandon Childress. It’s also better to space out the duds and have them replace each other (because of transfers) rather than your stars (because of early departures).

Recruiting guys like Wilbekin, Hudson, Washington, Mitchell, Eggleston, Lewis, Wright, etc. isn’t the problem. Some of those guys will hit, some won’t. The problem is missing on top 100 guys (Giles), having those guys leave faster than you can replace them (CP3, Collins), or having them not develop (Woods, Walker, JT Terrell, hopefully not Chaundee).

Thanks. Torch taken, no need for you to argue with anyone about this anymore. I’ve got it under control.

Everyone, listen up, Manning’s degree of suckage is less than [Redacted]’s degree of suckage but he still is a pretty sucky coach, probably not ACC caliber, and he is not the answer to the question that Wake Forest Basketball has been asking since Skip died. Everyone more or less agrees with this (except Moonz), the only question is/was did he deserve a 5th season, he probably didn’t but with Wellman doing the hiring it probably doesn’t matter.

I could quibble but I’m willing to give the new regime wide leeway for the first two weeks.

So your angle is even though he was one of four returners and outside of Hoard and Mucius, this recruiting class is very lowly ranked, Melo is scared he isn’t going to play.

So you’ve got us making the tournament this year?

Seems relevant that Hoard and Mucius play his position, no?

Seems relevant that Hoard and Mucius play his position, no?

Not really. There are still plenty of minutes available at the forward spots. And Hoard will only be here for one year.

Now if you include the likelihood that Chaundee will play almost exclusively at SF instead of SG, that’s a coaching issue not a talent issue.

Not really. There are still plenty of minutes available at the forward spots. And Hoard will only be here for one year.

Now if you include the likelihood that Chaundee will play almost exclusively at SF instead of SG, that’s a coaching issue not a talent issue.

I don't think that is the likelihood though. Chaundee will play a lot at SG.

I don't think that is the likelihood though. Chaundee will play a lot at SG.

I hope so, but given Manning's history I doubt it. Childress, Brown, Mucius, Hoard, Sarr makes too much sense. It will probably be Childress, Johnson, Brown, Hoard, Sarr. Lewis and/or Wright will rotate at the guard spots.

I hope so, but given Manning's history I doubt it. Childress, Brown, Mucius, Hoard, Sarr makes too much sense. It will probably be Childress, Johnson, Brown, Hoard, Sarr. Lewis and/or Wright will rotate at the guard spots.

It is tough to say what makes sense when we have so many new guys we've never seen play and know next to nothing about.

But yeah, I think Chaundee will play a fair amount of SG this year. We lost Crawford, Woods, and Wilbekin... That's a lot of minutes.

And the theory is that we'll be playing more "positionless" basketball this year, so not sure it matters if he's the SG or SF. I just don't want him playing PF.

It is tough to say what makes sense when we have so many new guys we've never seen play and know next to nothing about.

But yeah, I think Chaundee will play a fair amount of SG this year. We lost Crawford, Woods, and Wilbekin... That's a lot of minutes.

And the theory is that we'll be playing more "positionless" basketball this year, so not sure it matters if he's the SG or SF. I just don't want him playing PF.

Yeah it matters because we want our best players on the floor filling specific roles.

And I think we'll see more Wynn than Lewis/Wright.

(Wynn hype train... Woo Woo!)

Hopefully we'll have a SG who can shoot. It helps things out a lot.

Yeah it matters because we want our best players on the floor filling specific roles.

Like what? I am not sure what you mean by specific roles. Who they guard on D? How tall they are? This is a serious question... Not being a dick.

I just want our best players to play the most minutes. That's Hoard & Brown for sure. Beyond that, it's obviously Childress based on need/experience/commentary and Sarr.

I hope Mucius is there, too. But maybe Johnson (or Wynn) are better from day one. I don't know.

From the very limited info leaking from practices, Wynn has been filling the bucket from three. How that translates into game production, we will see.

Hey ATS, have you seen tape of Wynn? I'm asking because I haven't even bothered and know nothing about him. But as far as unheralded recruits go, I've got a feeling about Sharone...from the limited film I've seen, I think he's a big-time sleeper. And I really like the form on his shot from the limited practice vids I've seen. Of course, it means nothing compared to "live bullets" action with guys running at you, but I'm hopeful that due to his size and range, he could be a weapon, even this year off the bench. Like a much more polished version of Yung Crab-legs.

I haven't seen anything. As Deaconblue wrote above, limited information coming from practices indicates that he's a decent shooter. Also, B-Chill said at media day that Wynn can "shoot the piss out of the ball".

I am mostly kidding when I hype him up, but I do think he has a better shot at making the rotation than Lewis or Wright at this point. But that's just wild speculation on my part.

True. But those roles don’t need to be traditional 1, 2, 3 , 4, 5. For better or worse, our starting point (Chill) and center (Sarr) appear set. My hope is that both Smart and Sunday are relegated to backup center and that one of Newman, Johnson, or Wright emerges as the clear backup.

From there, the ideal lineup (or at least the one with the highest upside) is indeed filled out by Brown, Mucius, and Hoard. You then need 2-3 guys to fill in on the wing. I don’t think it’s a stretch to imagine that Newman, Johnson, Wright, and maybe even Wynn were outplaying Eggleston for those spots.

Ideally he sticks around and gives you 10 minutes at the four so you don’t have to stagger Hoard and Mucius as much, but I can see why he wouldn’t want to stick around for that.

Who is Newman?

Back