• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Melo Eggleston Leaves the Program

No loss, frees up his 2 mpg for Hoard & Mucius. Gives another schollie for next year.

Considering Danny Manning's typical demeanor, he had to be PISSED to give that quote.

No loss, frees up his 2 mpg for Hoard & Mucius. Gives another schollie for next year.

Let me translate Reff's post- WAAAAH Skip didn't like me....I'll keep attacking him long after he died and try to say He Who Shall Not Be Named Part Deux is a better coach. Of course after 20+ years of reffing, I still have to call HS girl's JV games due to my understanding of basketball.

There's a pattern of players not wanting to be here. At this point, I'm not even counting on Manning actually leaving the program in better shape than [Redacted] did, which is the one remaining defense of Manning that I keep hearing from those who are dug in on him.

Right. Of course if we had fired him, the program would be in better shape than [Redacted] did but come March it won’t be. Hoard will go pro and more players will transfer and be replaced by a poor recruiting class.

Melo could see he was not going to play and wants a new start somewhere at a lower level (hard to do I know). Manning is a proven loser as a coach but I am not going to put this one on him as he was not forced out, it was all Melo.

Right. Of course if we had fired him, the program would be in better shape than [name redacted] did but come March it won’t be. Hoard will go pro and more players will transfer and be replaced by a poor recruiting class.

Yeah, the 5th season is going to be a dagger. Lost decade complete. The next hire has to be massive. New facilities and an established successful coach might create enough excitement to get us the recruiting bump that we've missed out on from the last 2 hires. This can all still be turned around relatively quickly if we throw a huge amount of money at the right coach.

Melo could see he was not going to play and wants a new start somewhere at a lower level (hard to do I know). Manning is a proven loser as a coach but I am not going to put this one on him as he was not forced out, it was all Melo.

Manning created the mess and recruited Melo into it...that much is on him.

Yeah, the 5th season is going to be a dagger. Lost decade complete. The next hire has to be massive. New facilities and an established successful coach might create enough excitement to get us the recruiting bump that we've missed out on from the last 2 hires. This can all still be turned around relatively quickly if we throw a huge amount of money at the right coach.

Of course, it would have been easier to recruit a new coach to coach this team than next year’s team.

There's a pattern of players not wanting to be here. At this point, I'm not even counting on Manning actually leaving the program in better shape than [Redacted] did, which is the one remaining defense of Manning that I keep hearing from those who are dug in on him.

It would take an incredible amount of negative talent to leave the program in worse shape the Bzzzz did, but Manning may just be up to it.

Yup

With Wellman at the helm, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Might I add, and let this not be overlooked, this makes it that much easier for Manning to play his vaunted 4 guard lineup.

You could have never convinced me that Manning would be anywhere close to as awful as redacted. But he is, certainly. Now, it’s going to be many years until Wake is relevant in basketball again. I bet you we are 10 years away from being a good basketball program. And that’s if we do a better than average job between now and then I’m terms of hiring a good coach. Wellman isn’t capable of doing that anymore, so I’m factoring in that we are two new coaches away from better times. So one more bad hire by Wellman and then new AD gets a good coach, and takes a few years to get things going.

With Wellman at the helm, I wouldn't hold my breath.

He's a figurehead who builds buildings/facilities. No one willing to provide the funds needed is going to let him make the decision on the next basketball coach. I'm not worried about that any more. There's just no way people who are going to gift millions of $$ to the buyout of Manning and hiring of a new coach are dumb enough to let Wellman make the hire.

Back