• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Melo Eggleston Leaves the Program

Posted this on recruiting thread but belongs here. Who wins between the 2018-2019 Deacs and the 2017-2018 transfers/"early entries"

Chill/Lewis
Brown
Mucius
Hoard
Sarr/Okeke

VS

Craw
Woods
Dick Wash
Donovan Mitchell/Melo
Doral/SJM

If I get to coach the second team and Manning has to coach the first team, I would bet heavy on the team that left.

I think you are confusing Melo with McClinton.

Pretty similar players. I thought Melo had more potential but hard to say. I don't know why Manning recruits that type of player. They just ride the bench.

The man likes him a shooter.

Pretty similar players. I thought Melo had more potential but hard to say. I don't know why Manning recruits that type of player. They just ride the bench.

Which of Melo’s 6 offensive rebounds (in 105 minutes) was your favorite?

Just how much addition by subtraction can one team stand?

How you guys can justify 7 players jumping ship and there not being a problem at the top. I thought no one could run them off faster than BZ.

Where was I justifying anything?

I’m not choosing a side.

Seems Melo wasn’t talented enough to make the rotation this year and he left.

It also seems like Manning isn’t having a successful run at the helm of our basketball program.

Both things can be true.

Can’t blame the kid if he wants to play and doesn’t see a way into the rotation. Good luck to him! I hope that’s all it is and not Manning crap.

Where was I justifying anything?

I’m not choosing a side.

Seems Melo wasn’t talented enough to make the rotation this year and he left.

It also seems like Manning isn’t having a successful run at the helm of our basketball program.

Both things can be true.

You may be right that he left because of playing time. I am not sure about that. How many scholarship players does wake even have next year that are capable of contributing at an ACC level?

If he cant get minutes at Wake next year, he will have to drop down to division III. My guess is that it has more to do with the role he is being asked to play. I don't think Manning knows what to do with a player with his skill set.

You may be right that he left because of playing time. I am not sure about that. How many scholarship players does wake even have next year that are capable of contributing at an ACC level?

If he cant get minutes at Wake next year, he will have to drop down to division III. My guess is that it has more to do with the role he is being asked to play. I don't think Manning knows what to do with a player with his skill set.

I think the reality here is Manning brought in a player outside the Top 200 and the player wasn’t ready to contribute by his Sophomore season.

I’ll criticize him for not recruiting (or retaining) ACC level talent... But I don’t think there are many ACC teams playing sub-200 sophomores and winning games.

I could be wrong on that, but I’m too lazy to look it up.

I think the reality here is Manning brought in a player outside the Top 200 and the player wasn’t ready to contribute by his Sophomore season.

I’ll criticize him for not recruiting (or retaining) ACC level talent... But I don’t think there are many ACC teams playing sub-200 sophomores and winning games.

I could be wrong on that, but I’m too lazy to look it up.

Thought maybe it was because he thought he was related to Carmelo Anthony?

He could be a Jamaal Levy type x-factor player with better coaching.

Caveat to my own post about Melo having X-factor potential is that Aaron Rountree went to Iona and averaged 6.2/5.2 after not doing much at Wake.

Not setting the world on fire, and he saw the floor more at Wake than Melo, but certainly a contributor for an NCAAT team.

*looks up John Collins’ playing time*

*sigh*

You are assuming Manning is a competent coach. There is no indication of that. From a small sample size it appeared to me that Melo was a good rebounder (particularly offensive rebounds) and a good defender. That kind of player should be able to help a team as lacking as last years team was. Plenty of players have made a living defending, rebounding and collecting garbage.

Danny values shooters over all else. That is fine if you can recruit Steph and Clay Thompson.

Facepalm

Yet he continues to recruit players who can't shoot.

Manning created the mess and recruited Melo into it...that much is on him.

This is true. He either has to recruit better players or recruit players that are willing to value team over personal success. Losing Mitchell and Melo is a bad trend. These are players that you need in a program so that when they are juniors and seniors they can plug gaps and fill key roles. Childress is a good example of this. He is going to be a solid player for us for the next two years. If players like that are transferring out it is either a recruiting issue or a player relationship issue. You have to be elite at one of those things to make it in this business.

This is true. He either has to recruit better players or recruit players that are willing to value team over personal success. Losing Mitchell and Melo is a bad trend. These are players that you need in a program so that when they are juniors and seniors they can plug gaps and fill key roles. Childress is a good example of this. He is going to be a solid player for us for the next two years. If players like that are transferring out it is either a recruiting issue or a player relationship issue. You have to be elite at one of those things to make it in this business.

Agree with you overall point, but Chill showed way more in his first two years than Mitchell or Eggleston (in 1).

it may be both

Manning is dumb as a bag of hammers and has no charisma. Shit hire. I wish we had an AD that had the sack to just fire someone who was failing this badly.

I finally watched the interview from yesterday. There was zero said that makes me feel like Manning has any sort of plan, or is even feeling any sort of urgency.

Back