• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World's 50 coolest neighborhoods

I've been to almost all of the North American neighborhoods. I was in London about ten years ago, but none of the others.

So I scroll to the first US neighborhood and it is somewhere in LA described with: "the recent arrival of vegan cafés, limited-batch dumplings and a pedigreed order-by-the-ounce pizza shop have turned Figueroa Boulevard into a budding dining destination."

If those three things are considered cool and descriptive of a budding dining destination, I'm not sure how anyone can take this clickbait seriously. WTF is a limited batch dumpling? Why do I care if my dumplings are limited batch? And if they are so good, why would they be limited? Are dumpling ingredients in short supply?

So I scroll to the first US neighborhood and it is somewhere in LA described with: "the recent arrival of vegan cafés, limited-batch dumplings and a pedigreed order-by-the-ounce pizza shop have turned Figueroa Boulevard into a budding dining destination."

If those three things are considered cool and descriptive of a budding dining destination, I'm not sure how anyone can take this clickbait seriously. WTF is a limited batch dumpling? Why do I care if my dumplings are limited batch? And if they are so good, why would they be limited? Are dumpling ingredients in short supply?

probably going to take a wild guess and say that the "coolest" neighborhoods in the world probably don't see cool to middle aged white dudes

Sant Antoni, Barcelona
Sant Antoni is a rarity worth cherishing: a fragile balance between old and new. Here you’ll find a Barcelona that’s unfortunately disappearing: one cultivated by past generations, where so much of life was lived in the city’s streets and squares and all the neighbours knew each other. But this is also the place to find the very latest trends in fashion and gastronomy. Sitting beneath Barcelona’s symbolic Montjüic hill, this gem of a barrio is full of life in all its many glorious forms.

I've walked around this area, but I don't recall it being that much different from other parts of the Eixample. Amazing that anything within a few blocks of the super tourist Ramblas would ever make a list of coolest neighborhoods.

Karlín, Prague
Karlín is different from the fairytale settings and tourist crowds of Prague’s centre or the gritty, industrial scene of many surrounding neighbourhoods. Revitalization efforts from flooding in 2002 have lined its streets with restaurants, wine bars and young families. And the current wave of experimental spaces – from Manifesto Market’s open-air food stalls in shipping containers to Kasarna Karlin’s summer cinemas and artsy events – are taking the area from residential paradise to destination-worthy neighbourhood.

I've driven through this part of Prague. I knew it was a trendy area for consulting firm offices and business traveler hotels. I guess it's also cool with locals. Kinda surprised they picked this area instead of one of the gritty, industrial areas they mention.

Of the three cities I’m most familiar with (NYC, KL, and Singapore), I’m not sure I would agree with any of their choices. The Singapore one is especially egregious though. The answer for this sort of list is Tiong Bahru. Picking Tanjong Pagar is like picking the financial district in NY.

I live right next to Central District in Seattle (in the home of high development and cost, Capitol Hill). Will have to visit some of the places they mentioned.

Back