• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anual Minutes allocation guess-o-matic hoops men

jaybone

Reaction score
Let's do this in a thread this year!

PG - Chill: 30 Lewis: 10
SG - Johnson: 9 Brown: 20 Wynn: 11
SF - Brown: 12 Mucius: 20 Wright: 8
PF - Hoard: 30 Okeke: 10
C - Sarr: 28 Smart: 12

Totals
Chaundee Brown 32
Brandon Childress 30
Jaylen Hoard 30
Olivier Sarr 28
Isaiah Mucius 20
Ikenna Smart 12
Michael Wynn 11
Jamie Lewis 10
Sunday Okeke 10
Torry Johnson 9
Sharone Wright 8

I get that this rotation of 11 doesn't make sense, but I think we might see Torry Johnson get 15 or so minutes a game early and start and be replaced by ??? halfway thru the season. Let's go with Wynn since he seems to be Chill's new fav

So, by end of year, hoping that the minutes looks something like

Brown 32
Hoard 32
Chill 30
Sarr 30
Mucius 22
Wynn 18
Wright 14
Lewis 10
Smart 6
Okeke 6

Based on Manning's historical usage of grad transfers, it's safe to say that Johnson and Smart will probably exceed the projections you have. For reference:

2018: Terrence Thompson - 16.3 mpg
2017: Austin Arians - 22.8 mpg
2015: Darius Leonard - 17.4 mpg

Do we know who Manning has promised starting jobs to?

Based on Manning's historical usage of grad transfers, it's safe to say that Johnson and Smart will probably exceed the projections you have. For reference:

2018: Terrence Thompson - 16.3 mpg
2017: Austin Arians - 22.8 mpg
2015: Darius Leonard - 17.4 mpg

I hear you. Leonard and Arians were double-digit scorers at their mid-major schools before coming to Wake; Thompson had one year he scored 9 pts a game prior to Wake; in comparison, Smart has never played more than 14 minutes a game at Buffalo and has averaged a consistent 3.5 pts per game and about the same number of rebounds three years in a row. Really hoping we don't need him much.

Torry Johnson is the typical grad transfer for us. But I have not heard one positive thing about him since he got to Wake other than he works hard on defense. He shot 37% last year and 32% from the 3-point line. The way we run our offense under Manning, it is really important the 2 guard can shoot the 3 and pull the defense out. Brown was a good corner shooter last year, not great from anywhere else. I have my eyes on Wynn now because he shoots like piss, whatever that means.

I could see starters being Sarr, Smart, Hoard, Brown and BChill.

Or Sarr, Hoard, Brown, Johnson and BChill.

I’d like to see something like:

PG - Chill: 30; Lewis/Johnson(?):10
SG - Brown: 20; Johnson/Lewis/Wynn/Wright: 20
SF - Mucius: 20; Brown: 10; Wynn/Wright: 10
PF - Hoard: 30; Mucius: 10
C - Sarr (as much as he can play); Smart/Sunday (the rest)

I’d like to see something like:

PG - Chill: 30; Lewis/Johnson(?):10
SG - Brown: 20; Johnson/Lewis/Wynn/Wright: 20
SF - Mucius: 20; Brown: 10; Wynn/Wright: 10
PF - Hoard: 30; Mucius: 10
C - Sarr (as much as he can play); Smart/Sunday (the rest)

What about Newman?

This is usually one of my favorite games to play, but it kind of sucks this year for two reasons.

1- There are 3 returning players (Childress, Sarr, & Brown) and they'll probably get as many minutes as they can stay on the floor for.
2- We have a ton of players we have never seen before, yet very little depth (I think).

Random notes:
PG is the one position where Manning seems to play his starter for 30+ mpg... Crawford - 31.8, Crawford - 31.8, Crawford - 31.7/CMM - 30.5, CMM 31.5. I think I see a trend here...
John Collins played 14.4mpg as a frosh and 26.6mpg as a soph... And he was a guy that had foul issues. I think Chaundee Brown takes a huge leap from 20.9 to over 30.
Doral Moore managed to stay on the floor 25.5mpg last season after 8.3 & 7.1 his first two seasons... I have to think Sarr will make a jump from 15.1mpg to something close to that.
Players w/ 20+ mpg each year under Manning: 6, 7, 6, 6
Players w/ 10+ mpg each year under Manning: 9, 7, 10, 10* (Ovaltine mid-year transfer, but I counted him anyway)

I'm not worried about positions... Or more accurately, I have no idea.

200 player minutes in a game=
Childress - 31
Brown - 30
Hoard - 30
Sarr - 24
Johnson - 23 (he played 26.9 & 29.1 his two seasons at Northern Arizona... I'd expect he'll be the 3rd guard in the rotation)
Mucius - 20
Smart - 14
Okeke - 10
Wynn - 7
Lewis - 6
Wright - 5

I mean, Wynn/Lewis/Wright minutes are a complete crapshoot. I suspect 1-2 of them will get on the floor more as the season goes on.

Ideally (in my mind, at least), we'd see:
Childress, Brown, Hoard all over 30 mpg
Sarr & Mucius as much as possible
Smart & Johnson filling in gaps when guys need a breather
Wynn/Lewis/Wright/Okeke here and there, when it makes sense to give them some experience or when matchups dictate we need them on the floor more

I think the next "fun" exercise would be to predict basic stat lines for the team (or at least the newcomers)... I enjoyed doing that the last couple of years.

PG- Brandon -30 Hoard-8 Wright - 2
SG-Chaundee -28 Wright-8 Johnson- 4
SF- Hoard -20 Wynn -18 Chaundee-2
PF- Sarr -25 Mucius-12 Hoard -3
C- Smart- 18 Sarr - 11 Okeke -11

Total minutes

Sarr- 36
Hoard 31
Brandon 30
Chaundee 30
Wynn 18
Smart 18
Mucius 12
Okeke 11
Wright 10
Johnson 4

Only reason I have Smart and Okeke playing so many minutes is because we have very few choices. Also Lewis doesn't get minutes because I am not sure he will ever be healthy this year, at least enough to play ACC basketball

Last edited:
Wow, assuming you know more than most that are throwing out complete guesses, that is discouraging that Mucius will only play minimal minutes.
On the flip side, those 8 mins with Hoard running point look fun.

I'm hoping for about 140-145 mpg between Chaundee, Hoard, Chill, Sarr and Mucius.

If Lewis is back to being good, he should get something like 15-22 mpg.

The rest would be a crapshoot.

Have we heard anything about Mike Wynn so far this year to lead us to believe he is going to be any good? Last I heard he was a 400 level recruit from some weird basketball academy trying to get his grades up high enough to be eligible.

Have we heard anything about Mike Wynn so far this year to lead us to believe he is going to be any good? Last I heard he was a 400 level recruit from some weird basketball academy trying to get his grades up high enough to be eligible.
Little Chill says Wynn can "shoot the piss out of it" on the Twitters...

Back