• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billy Joel at Groves Stadium

Not sure what you expect parking to be when it is the traffic flow in Winston-Salem that caused the problems coming in off US 52. The parking folks were working their asses off and did a good job getting people in and out of the venue. When you have 40,000 people leaving somewhere all at one time we aren't going to all get gone at once. Same for coming into a venue whether a major football game, concert or basketball game if you come in last second, you can't expect to just slide in and make it. Get there early and there is no problem!

I expect the venue to work together with the municipality to get as many cars as possible away from the center of the event as quickly as possible. Control the traffic light timing, use opposite lanes, have police directing traffic. When a concert ends at 10 or 11 at night, this should not be a problem as there is not much other traffic to inconvenience. Wake, being the idiots they are (at least for GnR) forced cars coming out of the Joel back towards Groves instead of away from it. Completely asinine. Charlotte can get 75,000 fans away from BofA stadium in the middle of the day, in the middle of the city, hours faster than WS can get 40,000 away from Groves in the middle of the night with nothing of significance around it. Absolute incompetence.

I mean BofA probably has the worst/fewest entry gates of any stadium I've ever been to. Guess they do a pretty solid job managing traffic though.

Loved the show but i still think we didn't start the fire is a cheesy song

Akron was a disaster. After we moved maybe 1/8 of a mile in an hour, I ended up parking at Northside lanes and walking from there. It was around a 1 1/2 mile walk to the stadium. Good thing I did as we made it in a few minutes before the concert started. I heard if you came in from University Parkway or from downtown it wasn't very difficult to get parked. I have no idea if that ended up being true, just what I heard from others.

The concert was amazing. Hearing 40K plus sing "Piano Man" was awesome!!

Gotta always Uber to those kinds of things. Come on man. Rookie move

Had a blast at the show. 40K+ singing along to Piano Man was the most united a crowd has been at Groves in my lifetime.

What was the set list? I imagine Piano Man was the finale.

That’s fantastic. Strong start. The biggest hits sprinkled throughout. Huge finish with a great encore. That’s great. No wonder everybody had a good time.

So i guess Christie Brinkley wasnt on stage doing her Uptown Girl strutt? What a shame

Last edited:
Back