• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP DKE

about half my freshman hall pledged DKE -- they were mostly good dudes

it's also the first frat party that like 90% of Wake kids went to on account of their location

exactly. Great first memory of going out the second night of school.

Al Farouq hurled a buddy into Polo outside DKE one night. The guy was messing with his backpack when he said "that's where I handle my business off the court". One of our defensive ends (forget which one) also pushed a friend into the grill outside and broke it. The DKEs tried to make them pay for it (lol).

A brother was so messed up one time that he went on a 20 minute rant to us on how there was no gay sex or sex with dead animals allowed in his car. You have to wonder what prompted that. Good memories all around.

they weren’t as cool as the Bags

Because in-house Bare Naked Ladies cover bands are the best.

Srsly tho, I know we are private so they I guess can enforce any kind of code of conduct they want, but at some point if you are off campus, you are allowed to have a private life and allowed to exercise your constitutional rights on private property like right to assemble. There has to be a rub there somewhere.

I guess the problem is that I am guessing that the house is in the chapter name or maybe even the national charter name? So the kids need to play nice with the univ to be able to use it.

If this is really it, the kids could offer to buy the house from the chapter, form an LLC to hold the RE, collect dues to pay the mortgage and soldier on, but it is pretty tough to get 80 drunk stoned kids moving all the same direction, much less convince daddy warbucks x 80 to fund it.

At least Mike Ford is gone, that fugging tool was the worst.

cest la vie DKE

Yes, I remember rocking out to Tubthumping by Chumbawumba there sometime freshman year, in the old house. Maybe around Halloween. That sounds about on the right timeline from when I emerged from my room at last to socialize with human beings. RIP DKE.

Because in-house Bare Naked Ladies cover bands are the best.

Srsly tho, I know we are private so they I guess can enforce any kind of code of conduct they want, but at some point if you are off campus, you are allowed to have a private life and allowed to exercise your constitutional rights on private property like right to assemble. There has to be a rub there somewhere.

I guess the problem is that I am guessing that the house is in the chapter name or maybe even the national charter name? So the kids need to play nice with the univ to be able to use it.

If this is really it, the kids could offer to buy the house from the chapter, form an LLC to hold the RE, collect dues to pay the mortgage and soldier on, but it is pretty tough to get 80 drunk stoned kids moving all the same direction, much less convince daddy warbucks x 80 to fund it.

At least Mike Ford is gone, that fugging tool was the worst.

cest la vie DKE

Mike Ford was a total douchebag. My favorite memory of him was his threatening to get me kicked out of intramural basketball for playing on multiple teams. I told him to do it, but that it would cost the Sigma Chi A Team every one of their wins and get them tossed from fraternity leagues for their best (or second best) player doing the same thing and playing on two of my teams.

Mike Ford was a total douchebag. My favorite memory of him was his threatening to get me kicked out of intramural basketball for playing on multiple teams. I told him to do it, but that it would cost the Sigma Chi A Team every one of their wins and get them tossed from fraternity leagues for their best (or second best) player doing the same thing and playing on two of my teams.

oh man, in his FACE

That's Gerald Ford's son, right? I think I was on a soccer team with his daughter at one point.

Yes, ^^^ dude grew up as the eldest son of the leader of the free world, a la Jamie Lannister, and ended up as the administrator of Greek Life at Wake. Dream big, Mike. Dream big.

Post Script: Gerald Ford was a DKE at Michigan.

When he visited Mike on-campus, one of our brothers asked a Secret Service agent to give a note to Brother Ford. The note read something to the effect of "Cookout at the Deke House tonight. Bring your own meat."

Not up on the rules of Fraternization, but is it "once a bagger always a bagger", or can you de-pledge? If I'm a DKE I'm cutting all ties and hopefully expunging my name from any association with DKE during my time at Wake. That thing will follow them like toilet paper on a shoe for the rest of their careers, certainly any public one if not private.

You're right. You don't know "the rules." One can de-pledge or de-brother, at any time. No questions asked. And nothing better exemplifies the meaning of, and the bonds of, Greek life brotherhood than "cutting all ties," because of how it might make you look to others.

Last edited:
You're right. You don't know "the rules." One can de-pledge or de-brother, at any time. No questions asked. And nothing better exemplifies the meaning of, and the bonds of, Greek life brotherhood than "cutting all ties," because of how it might make you look to others.

Well, you could de-pledge/de-brother, and STILL live together, hang out, etc.; heck, you could even make your own cool t-shirts and have secret handshakes and stuff.

or, and i'm just spitballing here, don't give a shit one way or the other.

Class of 99 so I'm sure the Wake Greek system is already much different now than the 90's, but the loss of any house is unfortunate. Hatch's statements about Greek life and his participation in the movement to have the letters taken off the lounges in favor of "discrete" plaques to discourage emotional intimidation of applicants and freshman always disturbed me. The DKEs were a unique group, but never jerks. The farm party was an annual favorite, with the inevitably of chickens all over campus and a goat on the quad one year. Hopefully they can survive underground....that's a strong fraternity nationally.

Hatch has been president for 13 years now and Greek Life has remained strong on campus. At what point can we get past the false notion that Hatch wants to eliminate Greek Life?

Back