• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Grant O'Brien got into a TOTAL of 10 games that season. After the first three games, he only played 5 minutes in one game, in garbage time versus BC. All of his other minutes were in blowouts. He played 3 minutes versus VT- JC had 4 fouls in that game.

Ayo has no clue what he's talking about in making this inane and totally inaccurate post.
I guess "at times" doesn't mean anything to you.

At one point, the 5 players on the court were Doral, McClinton, Van Horn, O'Brien, and Crawford. I mean, that is just asinine.
Like with the question on John Collins he said that Dinos and Devin are too good to give him more minutes. Let's ignore for a second that JC might in fact be better than Dinos already. Let's ignore for a second that playing O'Brien at the 3 with those 2 bigs instead of JC is insane.

There were 19 minutes available to play with either Dinos or Devin off the court to play JC. He got 12. That makes no sense.
Maybe Manning is holding back the legend that is John Collins. Kind of like what Dean did to MJ. Thats the only real explanation. Need to see no more of o'brien, and much less of Vanhorn
John Collins has played 10 more minutes than O'Brien this season.

In 25 minutes, O'Brien has 0 pts on 0-3 fg, 2 reb, 2 blocks.
In 35 minutes, Collins has 31 pts on 11-18 fg, 15 reb, 6 blocks.

So why is Collins only playing 10 more minutes than O'Brien?
1. One of the worst substitution patterns I've seen in a while. Rarely, if ever, did DT and JC see the court together. Could've been a strong high-low duo against the zone.
2. O'Brien has no business sniffing a DI basketball court. Did the ol catch-a-pass and throw it right back to the passer routine. Posters here could score on him.
3. If Dinos isn't knocking down shots, he's a liability. Can't defend, can't box out, and makes sloppy passes.
4. 14 missed FTs and 20 TOs will lose you a game every time.

All that being said, love Crawford and Collins. And as a Yung Crab enthusiast, I'm optimistic once we return two starters.

That's just a few from one game thread. There is plenty more.

Devin was miserable and out up big stat lines against shitty teams only

Plenty of people, including me, thought it was bat shit crazy that Collins wasn't playing more especially when it was obvious the team sucked again

JC was not ready.

In seven games he had 4 fouls (14 mpg); twice he fouled out (in 11 and 17 minutes); in 11 games he had 3 fouls (he average 17 mpg in those).

I guess "at times" doesn't mean anything to you.

O'Brien's minute were TOTALLY irrelevant after the third game of the season. Thus your premise is TOTALLY FOS.

O'Brien play NINETEEN minutes in the Deacs last 28 games. That's the definition of totally irrelevant.

Last edited:
O'Brien's minute were TOTALLY irrelevant after the third game of the season. Thus your premise is TOTALLY FOS.
I get it, you were really late to catch on to Manning's dumbassery. Many people caught on within the first few games of his tenure. I get it.

I get it, you were really late to catch on to Manning's dumbassery. Many people caught on within the first few games of his tenure. I get it.

Nope, it shows your lack of knowledge of what's important ant what's not. The first three games of a season proves NOTHING. It shows your true nature of being a knee jerk reactionary.

I'm laughing realizing that your own premise is disproven by your example. It shows Danny LEARNED quickly not to play O'Brien over a raw frosh and didn't take minutes from JC...

Last edited:
three games into the season Ayo was complaining about the substitution pattern

WF went 2-16, 11-20 on the season

seems like he was more prescient than reactionary

back to that game at VT: why did Collins play just 5 minutes? This was a week after he had 11/7 in 20 minutes at Duke - and he gets 5 minutes while Rondale (if so, wtf?) Watson gets 16 and Hudson gets 9

You are a total LIAR.

You proved nothing you say can be trusted.

Maybe Trump will hire you to be his Press Secretary. You've proven your ability to lie and be proud of it.

You should change your screenname to LIEYO

Nope, it shows your lack of knowledge of what's important ant what's not. The first three games of a season proves NOTHING. It shows your true nature of being a knee jerk reactionary.

I'm laughing realizing that your own premise is disproven by your example. It shows Danny LEARNED quickly not to play O'Brien over a raw frosh and didn't take minutes from JC...
You think it should take any time at all to learn that John Collins is better than Grant freaking O'Brien? God bless ya.

three games into the season Ayo was complaining about the substitution pattern

WF went 2-16, 11-20 on the season

seems like he was more prescient than reactionary

back to that game at VT: why did Collins play just 5 minutes? This was a week after he had 11/7 in 20 minutes at Duke - and he gets 5 minutes while Rondale (if so, wtf?) Watson gets 16 and Hudson gets 9

Lots of people questioned Danny's substitutions before that. The reality is O'Brien was a non-factor and a red herring.

BTW, vs. VT, The Hokies played three guards and a 6'7 Zach Delay over 32 minutes each. Kerry Blackshear and Satchel Pierce played 27 minutes total for their bigs.

AGAIN, don't use reality when it gets in your way.

You think it should take any time at all to learn that John Collins is better than Grant freaking O'Brien? God bless ya.

Nice dance to justify your misrepresentation and BS.

Lots of people questioned Danny's substitutions before that. The reality is O'Brien was a non-factor and a red herring.

BTW, vs. VT, The Hokies played three guards and a 6'7 Zach Delay over 32 minutes each. Kerry Blackshear and Satchel Pierce played 27 minutes total for their bigs.

AGAIN, don't use reality when it gets in your way.

reality is Manning went 2-16, 11-20 on the year, which was an unacceptable result, just as last year was unacceptable, and just as this year is shaping up to be

reality is Manning went 2-16, 11-20 on the year, which was an unacceptable result, just as last year was unacceptable, and just as this year is shaping up to be

I agree, but the reality is there was a logical, basketball coaching reason not to play bigs in that game.

As I've said since preseason last year, No Dance No Job.

Although I oppose changing college coaches during the season about 95% of the time, I wouldn't oppose firing Danny in season.

As I've said over and over again, the DEMS should NOT nonimate anyone over 60 for POTUS in 2020

I agree, but the reality is there was a logical, basketball coaching reason not to play bigs in that game.

Although I oppose changing college coaches during the season about 95% of the time, I wouldn't oppose firing Danny in season.

if the other team goes small, is the right answer to go small with inferior players? or go big and exploit an advantage?

VT scored 1.3 points per possession in that game, so it's not as if our small lineup was effective defensively

also - there was no logical, basketball coaching reason to play a walk-on for one minute over John Collins in the game at Richmond

Danny could have tried to use Collins to stop LeDay who freaking ABUSED devin thomas

if the other team goes small, is the right answer to go small with inferior players? or go big and exploit an advantage?

VT scored 1.3 points per possession in that game, so it's not as if our small lineup was effective defensively

also - there was no logical, basketball coaching reason to play a walk-on for one minute over John Collins in the game at Richmond

Do you know what happened in practice that week? Do you know if John was feeling well? You don't know any of these things and more.

What we do know is that O'Brien stopped getting minutes. Thus, the concept is FOS.

As to VT, you don't put a 6'10 frosh on a 6'2 upperclassman on the road or even a 6'5 Bibbs.

As I've said (but you won't accept or acknowledge), there are many reasons to slam Danny, but VT and O'Brien are not among them.

to be fair, your boy buckets was ALL IN on Collins before the bandwagon. this isn't revisionist history, the truth is many of us questioned collins playing time right away:

John Collins is gonna be a good one
November 2015: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...ESPN3?p=2273631&highlight=collins#post2273631

I'd rather have John Collins play point guard for 20 minutes than van horn play at all
November 2015: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...-subs?p=2279946&highlight=collins#post2279946

Collins is a beast
My fave Wake frosh in a long time
November 2015: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...llins?p=2284785&highlight=collins#post2284785

Mmmmmm..... I think he hates Collins though

Collins might be our best player!
January 2016: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...ESPN3?p=2329620&highlight=collins#post2329620

Do you know what happened in practice that week? Do you know if John was feeling well? You don't know any of these things and more.

What we do know is that O'Brien stopped getting minutes. Thus, the concept is FOS.

As to VT, you don't put a 6'10 frosh on a 6'2 upperclassman on the road or even a 6'5 Bibbs.

As I've said (but you won't accept or acknowledge), there are many reasons to slam Danny, but VT and O'Brien are not among them.

first off, let me acknowledge that you are correct in that there are many reasons to slam Danny

now that we have that out of the way, the fact that Manning stopped giving minutes to O'Brien does not mean that giving minutes to O'Brien in the first place was not a mistake

I could walk through the logic of the preceding statement, but I'll elect to tap out of the thread instead

cheers to you rj, and Happy Holidays

Even before he arrived, we agreed JC was grossly underrated. It's not that I don't think he was going to be star, but I think he was handled well.

RE VT: Devin had 16/11/4 and blocks vs. DeLay's 20/3/4. That's not being abused. Given JC's foul trouble as a frosh, that was a like outcome.

BTW, in the four games before VT, JC had, 4, 5, 11, 4.

The much bigger mistake in rotations that game was playing Wilbekin 36 minutes.

BTW, those complaining about Rondale in that game should look at his 11/1/1 in only 16 minutes. That's damn good production.

Back