• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

RJ, Collins is one of countless heralded recruits whose progression as a player ground to a halt under Manning and then instantaneously improved upon leaving the program.

Do you think it’s just a coincidence that he went from scoring 2 points in 5 minutes against a middling ACC team one day to averaging 25 and 13 for the Atlanta Hawks the next?

BTW, those complaining about Rondale in that game should look at his 11/1/1 in only 16 minutes. That's damn good production.

"those complaining about Rondale" from the guy who started the complaints about Rondale

The scary part is if the Hawks hadn't made the moronic trade for Trae Young they would have been a possible destination for 2 max deals to play alongside JC and Doncic for an instantly competitive team.

The problem that year was DM's insistence on playing three guards at all times. The defense was putrid. Many fans wanted DM to force match ups by playing a 2-3 zone with Dino's, JC and DT on the back line. On the few occasions the zone was employed Dino's and DT/JC improved on D. Never happened with all three. The rationale for using the three bigs was the Deacs had nothing to lose by trying the alignment. A 2-17 record over the final 19 games seems to lend validity to that line of thinking.

I don’t think anyone, other than maybe RJ, thinks 14mpg was the correct amount of playing time for JC his freshman year. I think people have simply been overstating the impact of that decision ever since.

Playing JC an extra 7-8 mpg his freshman year probably nets us 2-4 wins that year and maybe 1-2 the next (just from a continuity standpoint). Hardly seems worth derailing the NBA thread three years later.

I don’t think anyone, other than maybe RJ, thinks 14mpg was the correct amount of playing time for JC his freshman year. I think people have simply been overstating the impact of that decision ever since.

Playing JC an extra 7-8 mpg his freshman year probably nets us 2-4 wins that year and maybe 1-2 the next (just from a continuity standpoint). Hardly seems worth derailing the NBA thread three years later.

Don't put words in my mouth.

Saying we'd win 2-4 more games with 7-8 mpg is pure conjecture. What if those minutes pissed Devin or Dinos off and impacted their games?

What if by playing those minutes, JC got the rep of being a foul machine? This would have impacted his play as a frosh and soph.

Don't put words in my mouth.

Saying we'd win 2-4 more games with 7-8 mpg is pure conjecture. What if those minutes pissed Devin or Dinos off and impacted their games?

What if by playing those minutes, JC got the rep of being a foul machine? This would have impacted his play as a frosh and soph.

That’s why I threw the maybe in there. I couldn’t remember whether you have said either way what you feel was the appropriate minutes allocation for Collins that year.

And the rest of your post is certainly possible. I probably should have said “at most 2-4 wins”.

O'Briens 3 min in the VaTech game were his senior night start minutes. That was a thank you for putting in four years as a walk-on.

If you ever find yourself arguing alongside RJ, immediately question your premise.

If you find RJ on the other side of any argument you are having, there are great odds that you are correct.

RJ is a treasure and amazing to behold.

O'Briens 3 min in the VaTech game were his senior night start minutes. That was a thank you for putting in four years as a walk-on.

SHHHH...don't let facts in the way of rants.

there are two different issues being discussed here

one is Grant O'Brien getting minutes in games - his minutes in the VT game were never mentioned. The most egregious example came when O'Brien and Van Horn were both on the floor at the same time (along with McClinton, Moore and Crawford) in a winnable game at Richmond. Two walk-ons on the floor at the same time in a winnable game.

the other issue is the game at VT in which Collins played 5 minutes. O'Brien did not play on that night. Cornelius Hudson did, along Rondale (if so, WTF?) Watson. It was not WF senior day, because 1) it was at VT and 2) it was in early January

The reason Rondale and Crab played that night is that VT went small ball. There wasn't anyone for JC to cover. The reality is Rondale may have had his best game as a Deac that night.

I have stated dozens (if not hundreds) of times that I don't like Danny's substitution methods.

just stating facts rj - so as not to get in the way of rants

The reason Rondale and Crab played that night is that VT went small ball. There wasn't anyone for JC to cover. The reality is Rondale may have had his best game as a Deac that night.

I have stated dozens (if not hundreds) of times that I don't like Danny's substitution methods.

JC doesn’t cover anyone so fuck off

The scary part is if the Hawks hadn't made the moronic trade for Trae Young they would have been a possible destination for 2 max deals to play alongside JC and Doncic for an instantly competitive team.

Yes, that would have been insane.

Is Kevin Durant a top 5 player right now?

Steph is better than KD. This season has made that clear. I'd take Durant over Giannis at the 5 spot but it's close....... Durant's having a lowkey bad season shooting 34% from 3.

Back