• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

probably

i think it's more likely that manning back than we get shaka right now

Haha you've asked me this so many times. He's too streaky for me to full on fanboy, but his DHO with Embiid is such a ridiculously fun play.

Listened to a good Sixers podcast ep about Brett Brown this morning on my commute. Common fan critiques are:

1) His rotations
This is overly broad, but he's got the roster he's got. The starters are basically the best 5 man rotation in the league. Then after that the most serviceable backup they have is...Mike Scott. He should never run Ben and TJ out together if it can be avoided unless you wanna put Ben in the dunker's spot. And in the playoffs, Ben will be an issue against teams like Milwaukee and Boston who can really exploit non shooters and stop you from getting in the lane. This will be Brett's biggest challenge.

2) Not running enough Pick and Roll
They compared the best offenses to the teams who run the least pick and roll, and it's pretty much a direct map. Sixers are second lowest total PnRs run, Golden State is least, and 7 of the 10 best offenses in the league were in the 10 least PnRs run. Sixers do have the second highest efficiency rate in the league when running the PnR, so they could run it more, but it's a personnel thing again. You don't want Ben running it. They run it with Jimmy at the end of games, and you could probably run it with him a little more to get him in the offense a bit. Maybe the best area to expand this is with Tobias, who has great chemistry with Boban, but otherwise seems to thrive in iso, transition, and second chance scoring. We don't really run a lot of plays, full stop. Seems like we do set up in the halfcourt almost exactly the same on every set as a way of teaching Joel about how to recognize doubles, and Joel has cut down his turnovers every year for it.

3) Running too much Dribble Hand Off
It works. We run it a lot because we have the best DHO guy in the league, JJ.

4) Turnovers
This was another interesting stat--basically the teams that run the best offenses in the league do turn the ball over quite a bit. The teams with very low turnover numbers are teams like Charlotte and Orlando whose offense really sucks. That's a coaching deficiency. If you're overvaluing protecting the ball rather than trying to generate the best shot, you're not doing offense correctly. Golden State turns the ball over at a very similar rate to the Sixers because they're constantly looking to find the best shot. The worrying thing about turnovers is really that we're not generating a ton of turnovers. Jimmy hasn't really given us the defensive havoc that Covington gave. He's got good tip/steal numbers in passing lanes, but he's not really doing it on ball. He also sells the fuck out too hard too much.

Things Brett has done very well:

1) Keep the roster happy
This year has basically been three completely different teams given how much the team has changed. And Ben and Joel have seemingly gotten closer throughout it. That's a testament to Brett for sure.

2) Draw up plays out of time out
Basically the best in the NBA at this. We score more in the halfcourt out of timeout than any team in the league.

3) Manage Embiid's minutes
Embiid is gonna get to 65 games this year barring some injury, and that's pretty good. Think Brett does a really good job picking spots to rest him in games. The Sixers are gonna win somewhere between 50 and 55 of those games, which is also very good.

Thanks, good analysis. I did notice a potential problem though - watching highlights of the Bucks - 76ers game, Embiid and Ben were yucking it up on the sidelines near the end and they were sitting beside Jimmy Butler - who had a super efficient game with some clutch baskets down the stretch - and he STILL looked miserable.

The trend here is not the sucktitude and immaturity of the Bulls, or the immaturity of the TWolves, or even that Butler butlerized Towns Gf, the issue seems to be Butler needing to be the star, when he is best suited to be exactly where he is now. If he wants to be the star, he should have stayed on the 20 win Bulls and asked to get traded straight up to Phoenix for Booker.

Thanks, good analysis. I did notice a potential problem though - watching highlights of the Bucks - 76ers game, Embiid and Ben were yucking it up on the sidelines near the end and they were sitting beside Jimmy Butler - who had a super efficient game with some clutch baskets down the stretch - and he STILL looked miserable.

The trend here is not the sucktitude and immaturity of the Bulls, or the immaturity of the TWolves, or even that Butler butlerized Towns Gf, the issue seems to be Butler needing to be the star, when he is best suited to be exactly where he is now. If he wants to be the star, he should have stayed on the 20 win Bulls and asked to get traded straight up to Phoenix for Booker.

Yea I saw the same look. Small sample size, but he doesn't necessarily seem super happy here. Tough to tell the full story, he does things like buy the front office cheesesteaks and buy his teammates nice gifts on road trips, but then he pouts a lot during/after games and openly questions coaching staff.

I wouldn't hate it if we didn't give him his next big contract. Tobias has immediately fit in much better. If Jimmy doesn't re-sign and we cut other dead weight we've got cap space for a near max next year or more serious bench depth.

Plus Jimmy simply hasn't played well enough to earn his next deal here. His scoring numbers are ok, but he's not shooting enough 3s and he's not making nearly enough threes. He actually seems to be focusing a lot on efficiency and looking to get other guys looks rather than trying to be iso Jimmy and take over games. His usage numbers are about what they were in Minnesota though. If he had the correct temperament he could absolutely dominate second units and the Sixers would be a hell of a lot better for it, but no way would he want that role.

Yea I saw the same look. Small sample size, but he doesn't necessarily seem super happy here. Tough to tell the full story, he does things like buy the front office cheesesteaks and buy his teammates nice gifts on road trips, but then he pouts a lot during/after games and openly questions coaching staff.

I wouldn't hate it if we didn't give him his next big contract. Tobias has immediately fit in much better. If Jimmy doesn't re-sign and we cut other dead weight we've got cap space for a near max next year or more serious bench depth.

Plus Jimmy simply hasn't played well enough to earn his next deal here. His scoring numbers are ok, but he's not shooting enough 3s and he's not making nearly enough threes. He actually seems to be focusing a lot on efficiency and looking to get other guys looks rather than trying to be iso Jimmy and take over games. His usage numbers are about what they were in Minnesota though. If he had the correct temperament he could absolutely dominate second units and the Sixers would be a hell of a lot better for it, but no way would he want that role.

I agree it is small sample size.

Our boy Tom Haberstroh getting a great run in the Sixers broadcast tonight just gave a Wake shoutout saying Redick nailing threes was giving him flashbacks.

Hey 2&2, hope you got the chance to check out a legit NBA team tonight! Good luck in the lottery. Maybe y’all can sneak into the 12th pick.

A healthy Spurs team could be a contender next year on par with the Nuggets this year. Murray and White will be an excellent defensive backcourt. Obviously DeRozan, Gay, and LMA give you great offense. Bertans made strides and they have plenty of shooting along with him. Poeltl is making strides.

Pop is basically figuring out this squad on the fly. It's amazing. I really hope he sticks around to see it through.

Pop. Every day. This season is remarkable.

D1-1tvOVYAAmtnz.jpg

Looking at remaining games to play, I could definitely see the Raptors taking the 1 seed. They are 2 games back and still have the Thunder again (after the OT win last night), but then it's very smooth sailing: Hornets, Bulls, Knicks, Bulls, Magic, Nets, Hornets, Heat, Wolves. Remaining games for the Bucks (with Mirotic and Brogdon out and Giannis missing the last two): Heat, Cavs, Rockets, Clippers, Hawks, Nets, Sixers, Nets, Hawks, Thunder. 6-8 are also very much up for grabs. As the Sixers I'd rather play the Pistons and then the Heat and then the Nets. Nets have given the Sixers fits this year.

Back