• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

The Spurs dynasty story ended when Duncan retired.

It looked like the Spurs might make the Warriors work a little before that hack Pachulia took out Kawhi's ankle, but the Warriors had already leapt past the Spurs at that point.

It looked like the Spurs might make the Warriors work a little before that hack Pachulia took out Kawhi's ankle, but the Warriors had already leapt past the Spurs at that point.

TITCR

I think that’s a bit of an overstatement. The Warriors were getting worked until Kawhi went down and that Spurs team was better than any team the Warriors have beaten in a series at full strength during their entire run.

lol the spurs were never going to beat the warriors

lol the spurs were never going to beat the warriors

“Lol the Warriors were down 25 at home when Kawhi went down. They would have been lucky to get to game 5.”

Who the fuck knows. I do know I’ve seen these Warriors play twenty* games against healthy, elite teams in the playoffs. They are 9-11* with a -.45 point differential.

*19.7 and 9-10.7

“Lol the Warriors were down 25 at home when Kawhi went down. They would have been lucky to get to game 5.”

Who the fuck knows. I do know I’ve seen these Warriors play twenty* games against healthy, elite teams in the playoffs. They are 9-11* with a -.45 point differential.

*19.7 and 9-10.7

It’s funny to juxtapose your Warriors hot takes with your KenPom, wins and losses don’t matter in evaluating a team, Wake takes. Pretty much everything you post about basketball is dead wrong.

It’s funny to juxtapose your Warriors hot takes with your KenPom, wins and losses don’t matter in evaluating a team, Wake takes. Pretty much everything you post about basketball is dead wrong.

Saying we can’t be sure how the Warriors/Spurs series would have turned out and then posting several facts is dead wrong?

I’m amazed at how certain people are when discussing counterfactuals. You must have access to the multiverse us mere mortals are unaware of.

Saying we can’t be sure how the Warriors/Spurs series would have turned out and then posting several facts is dead wrong?

I’m amazed at how certain people are when discussing counterfactuals. You must have access to the multiverse us mere mortals are unaware of.

My comment was directed at the 2nd paragraph of your prior post. You constantly harp on objective measures (typically kenpom) to judge team strength in the Wake Forest basketball context. Yet you’ve often posted comments about the Warriors implying they have been lucky, didn’t deserve to win, etc., despite the fact that every objective measure has shown they have been the best team each year, and compare very favorable to the all time great NBA teams. Perhaps you are letting your emotions cloud your rational thought. Or perhaps you don’t know much about basketball.

The Jazz with 81 at halftime vs. Warriors.

KD going nuclear in the second is the only thing keeping the game close.

Jazz only have 30 points in the 2nd half with under 6 min remaining.

My comment was directed at the 2nd paragraph of your prior post. You constantly harp on objective measures (typically kenpom) to judge team strength in the Wake Forest basketball context. Yet you’ve often posted comments about the Warriors implying they have been lucky, didn’t deserve to win, etc., despite the fact that every objective measure has shown they have been the best team each year, and compare very favorable to the all time great NBA teams. Perhaps you are letting your emotions cloud your rational thought. Or perhaps you don’t know much about basketball.

Interesting that inferred from an objective measure that the Warriors were lucky or didn’t deserve to win.

All championship teams are lucky to a certain degree. The Warriors deserves to win all three of their titles. They’ve been clearly the best team 3 of the last 4 years. They are one of the best teams of all time.

But when you are comparing the greatest teams of all time, the details matter. Compared to other all time teams, the Warriors haven’t fared as well when playing elite teams in the playoffs. Part of that is a lack of opportunity which isn’t their fault (except for the ‘17 Spurs series).

Over the last 4 seasons there have been 16 teams with an SRS of >4 (basketball reference’s rating system which takes into account margin of victory and strength of schedule). The Warriors have beaten exactly one of them at full strength in a playoff series. Maybe the Warriors still win 3 championships if they had to face a healthy Clippers, Spurs, or Cavs team in 2015, the Spurs in 2016, a healthy Spurs in 2017, or a healthy Houston in 2018. But given their performance when they have had to face elite teams at full strength, it’s hard to say that to a certainty.

Wait, so wins and losses against good teams matter?

And that statistic is something one should consider, in addition to SRS or Pomeroy, when comparing the accomplishments of two or more teams?

One shouldn’t just take the computer ratings, but perhaps supplement those ratings with other data points?

Where have I seen this before?

Wait, so wins and losses against good teams matter?

And that statistic is something one should consider, in addition to SRS or Pomeroy, when comparing the accomplishments of two or more teams?

One shouldn’t just take the computer ratings, but perhaps supplement those ratings with other data points?

Where have I seen this before?

On the margins, sure. When other metrics are similar it’s a good tiebreaker. It makes sense to look at how the Warriors played against elite teams when comparing them to the Bulls or the early 2000s Lakers.

I’m sure I could find some team that’s not anywhere near that level that managed to go .500 against elite teams in the playoffs over a 3-4 year stretch. Using that statistic to compare them to these Warriors would be beyond asinine though.

I don't remember ESPN ever airing an NBA game on a college football Saturday until tonight.

I don't remember ESPN ever airing an NBA game on a college football Saturday until tonight.

I was thinking the same thing.

Along with the fact that I don’t think I’m ever going to get used to seeing Lebron in a Lakers jersey.

It would be sick to be at Staples right now

Back