• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

24 sec and the 14 sec reset is pretty money. I understand why college is 6 seconds longer though. Definitely should do a 15 sec reset though.

Why "reward" a team for a bad act (foul) by giving them less time to have to defend. IMHO, I would have the reset be for the full shot clock as a penalty for the defense committing the foul (non-shooting situation).

The offense is somewhat penalized in that situation by having to inbound from a fixed spot out of bounds, so the defense only has that location to defend to limit throw-in options by the offense. Not like after a made basket when the offense can use the whole baseline and move along it.

Why "reward" a team for a bad act (foul) by giving them less time to have to defend. IMHO, I would have the reset be for the full shot clock as a penalty for the defense committing the foul (non-shooting situation).

The offense is somewhat penalized in that situation by having to inbound from a fixed spot out of bounds, so the defense only has that location to defend to limit throw-in options by the offense. Not like after a made basket when the offense can use the whole baseline and move along it.

It gives them more time to defend. If they foul with 9 seconds on the shot clock, now they have to defend for 5 more seconds than they would have if they didn't foul.

It gives them more time to defend. If they foul with 9 seconds on the shot clock, now they have to defend for 5 more seconds than they would have if they didn't foul.

Yes, but a partial shot clock reset (14 or 20 seconds)is less of a penalty than a full shot clock reset vs a full (24 or 30 seconds). The offense is penalized by the spot throw-in because half the passing directions are out of bounds. And the inbounder is restricted to a fixed spot.

It's still a penalty.

This is what kills me. The Spurs had a guy with that kind of work ethic and some were accusing him of dogging it after his injury. It was weird, sure. But you've got to leave well enough alone.

My understanding is that Tony Parker was the only one questioning his recovery from injury. A lot of that was because he went off on his own to rehab it during the summer and came back still fucked. The Spurs were shocked he was still fucked because they had no idea. You can chalk that up to Kawhi being Kawhi, but come on. They are paying you millions of dollars - you should be able to at least get someone in your camp to give the Spurs a call and let them know.

Also, he seems to also have a low tolerance for pain. I don't think he had one injury this season. 60 games. He missed 22 games. Totally healthy. And he keeps tweaking something in these playoffs; he's lost some lift. I think it is possible that he has just worked himself into a 32 year old body at 27.

If it was almost any other organization, you could craft a pretty easy narrative that either mgmt fucked it up or the coach-player relationship deteriorated. In this case, it seems like neither of those things happened. It is more just simply that Kawhi is an island. He has a few people. Lots of people aren't thrilled with those people - not because they are bad, but simply aren't part of the team so why do they want on the plane/bus, etc.... I suppose everyone now understands what having Kawhi on the team means both the good and the weird. Everybody can essentially prepare and learn from the Spurs mistakes, but at the time, it is a weird thing to try and figure out a player playing primadonna games who is essentially the polar opposite of a primadonna.

My impression was that Parker said what others in the organization were thinking due to the weird circumstances. Parker’s comments came after people started questioning him.

It is weird though. Its almost like he is functioning autistic. For someone to work so hard and take a year to recover from a calf and ankle injury -- at 25, it doesn't add up. Stevie Francis, it sort of adds up, Kawhi no.

Keep in mind, Tony watched Tim play on a bum leg for 10 years...

Apparently the Spurs turned kawhi's treatment over to "his team" in the fall. Spurs docs were no longer involved or consulted from that point on. His team also kept saying he would be back x date then the date would pass with a new date "march" "play offs" etc. That was when the really odd stuff was happening (walked from the hotel to the all star game through mardi gras or whatever it was, spurs org showing up at his hotel and being hidden.

At the end of the day it feels like some % combo of the following

Kawhi - spurs rift (maybe overblown maybe not)
Kawhi - likes the idea of playing for a hometown team
Kawhi - went on the nba china trip and saw what could be globally for his brand. Translation: larger market can't hurt.

This combo makes a lot of sense. Calling out kawhi in public really just made he and or his team dig in their heals. The worst part was his team leaking the trade demand and trying to force where he wouod be traded.

Part of me thinks if a player is going to sign a big dollar contract there should be repercussions for publicly demanding a trade and ruining that players trade value.

^^ All of what Jaybone said.

Kawhi is just a weird dude.

My understanding is that Tony Parker was the only one questioning his recovery from injury. A lot of that was because he went off on his own to rehab it during the summer and came back still fucked. The Spurs were shocked he was still fucked because they had no idea. You can chalk that up to Kawhi being Kawhi, but come on. They are paying you millions of dollars - you should be able to at least get someone in your camp to give the Spurs a call and let them know.

Also, he seems to also have a low tolerance for pain. I don't think he had one injury this season. 60 games. He missed 22 games. Totally healthy. And he keeps tweaking something in these playoffs; he's lost some lift. I think it is possible that he has just worked himself into a 32 year old body at 27.

If it was almost any other organization, you could craft a pretty easy narrative that either mgmt fucked it up or the coach-player relationship deteriorated. In this case, it seems like neither of those things happened. It is more just simply that Kawhi is an island. He has a few people. Lots of people aren't thrilled with those people - not because they are bad, but simply aren't part of the team so why do they want on the plane/bus, etc.... I suppose everyone now understands what having Kawhi on the team means both the good and the weird. Everybody can essentially prepare and learn from the Spurs mistakes, but at the time, it is a weird thing to try and figure out a player playing primadonna games who is essentially the polar opposite of a primadonna.

What has never made sense in all of this is that the Spurs, easily for the last 15 years, have been the most protective of top players and their minor injuries. They've always been willing to take their lumps to have guys ready for the playoffs. They may have been the first team to rest all of their stars for a big game (I believe Miami for a TNT game). Sure it's possible that the Spurs misread something but if you look at their history (which has 20+ years of the same leadership) I'm not sure how anyone can conclude that Kawhi is not some sort of headcase. The difference between Kawhi and other headcases is that most of them yap their mouths, no one really knows what's in Kawhi's head.

My view, the Celts and Sixers, were gambling that the Spurs would blink and take less than they should for Kahwi. They are at home the Raptors are in the finals, they finally got LeBron out of the east and then they let another top player stand in their way.

DeRozen enables the Spurs to get 45+ wins but he's un-clutch. In theory his game should play well for end of game situations but he just doesn't hit the big shots in the last 30-60 sec.

I'd certainly trade him for the right piece. Maybe with a full year, Pop can bring him along like he's done with LMA.

Generally speaking no one hits big shots in the last 30-60 seconds outside of Jimmy Butler

kawhi is such a psycho i love it; here are some college teammates talking about him at sdsu

D8LYysYW4AA8uwc.jpg

also the part about just watching Jordan videos on YouTube at team dinners despite the "no phone" rule

And watching Jordan highlights for 4-5 hours at a time.

My absolute favorite kind of pickup player is the one talking shit like that who is just average as a player.

Back