• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Chris Paul doesn't seem the type of ego to just get past reports that his owner grumbles about his contract and that Harden is like "dude, you can't even beat your man, shut up and watch"

I mean, Tristan Thompson and JR Smith were vital pieces of a title team.

Horrific contracts though. Horrific. Laughably bad.

Tristan Thompson 5/87
JR Smith 4/57

Each has averaged about 8pts per game since they signed. Thompson also 8 boards. And he's missed 80 games

JR Smith almost on his own lost playoffs series across multiple seasons. He played 11 games last year.

They are making $34/mil per year between them NEXT YEAR. So if the goal is tanking for the #1 pick in 2020, they have thrown money at the right players.

The Tristan contract was fine. He had zero injury history and he's good. JR was an overpay but, they just didn't have much choice. They had no leverage with no cap space to replace him.

Riley din't recruit Bosh. Lebron and Dwade did. If you remember, Bosh almost joined Lebron in Cleveland.

Give me GM Pat Riley over GM Lebron any day and every day.

Track records speak for themselves.

I actually never liked Thompson's game. He is above average defensively and a liability offensively because he shoots free throws historically poorly. He is pretty good on the offensive boards, but I would rather have about 35 centers in the league than Thompson ignoring salary. JR Smith hit some huge shots for Cleveland, but I think most of those were before this last contract. There were plenty of alternatives to both. I mean, it is the reason why bad organizations have horrific seasons. Cleveland was horrific before Lebron and horrific after. They drafted Kyrie and got okay, and then when Lebron came back they had their run. In order to pacify Lebron, they signed very average players to very high end contracts and now they truly suck again. They are going to suck again next year primarily because they have the opportunity to only get incrementally better via the draft and have little cap flexibility.

Last edited:
Give me GM Pat Riley over GM Lebron any day and every day.

Track records speak for themselves.

I actually never liked Thompson's game. He is above average defensively and a liability offensively because he shoots free throws historically poorly. He is pretty good on the offensive boards, but I would rather have about 35 centers in the league than Thompson ignoring salary. JR Smith hit some huge shots for Cleveland, but I think most of those were before this last contract. There were plenty of alternatives to both. I mean, it is the reason why bad organizations have horrific seasons. Cleveland was horrific before Lebron and horrific after. They drafted Kyrie and got okay, and then when Lebron came back they had their run. In order to pacify Lebron, they signed very average players to very high end contracts and now they truly suck again. They are going to suck again next year primarily because they have the opportunity to only get incrementally better via the draft and have little cap flexibility.

In what world are seasons of 21,24,33 wins OK?

In what world are seasons of 21,24,33 wins OK?

Huh?

Since 1995 when Riley was named GM of the Heat, they have made the playoffs 18 out of 24 years. Not Spurs good, but pretty good. They have made it to the conference Finals 7 times in that stretch, 4x with Lebron and 3x without. Their worst season they lost Alonzo Mourning to his career ending injury and played without DWade for most of the year as well. They returned to the playoffs the next year.

Never in those 24 years have they won 21 or 24 games so no idea where you are getting those numbers.

I am not a huge Pat Riley fan, btw. I would just take him as my GM over Lebron. I would also take him over Jordan.

Huh?

Since 1995 when Riley was named GM of the Heat, they have made the playoffs 18 out of 24 years. Not Spurs good, but pretty good. They have made it to the conference Finals 7 times in that stretch, 4x with Lebron and 3x without. Their worst season they lost Alonzo Mourning to his career ending injury and played without DWade for most of the year as well. They returned to the playoffs the next year.

Never in those 24 years have they won 21 or 24 games so no idea where you are getting those numbers.

I am not a huge Pat Riley fan, btw. I would just take him as my GM over Lebron. I would also take him over Jordan.

You said, "They drafted Kyrie and got okay"

The Cavs didn't get OK. They won 78 total games in Kyrie's first three years. They sucked.

SO you are essentially arguing that Cleveland mgmt is more awful than I said they were. Okay.

If Kemba goes to the Lakers that ticket when the Lakers come to Charlotte will be more expensive than the All-Star game. You'll have 1/3 of the arena pulling for Kemba (me included), 1/3 for LeBron, and 1/3 for the Lakers.

There's a possibility that Kawhi could sign a two year deal in Toronto and then get over $250M by him having been in the NBA for a decade. You get more for that.

It's a shame the Sixers had to include Miami's pick in the Tobias Harris trade. If they still had that, they might be able package it with a couple of their own #1s and Simmons for Ja and Conley. The Griz want to dump Conley's salary for the next two years. Hell, throw in a couple of second round picks for the Griz rebuild.

There's a possibility that Kawhi could sign a two year deal in Toronto and then get over $250M by him having been in the NBA for a decade. You get more for that.

It's a shame the Sixers had to include Miami's pick in the Tobias Harris trade. If they still had that, they might be able package it with a couple of their own #1s and Simmons for Ja and Conley. The Griz want to dump Conley's salary for the next two years. Hell, throw in a couple of second round picks for the Griz rebuild.

IMHO, Sixers overpaid for what could be a partial season rental player.

Think that's unquestionable at this point since the gamble didn't really pay off in the playoffs, bounces notwithstanding.

Sixers do have more space now and more options on the table for what to do if they want Butler, Harris, neither, or both.

If the Sixers re-sign either one of them, the trades become decent. Saying they failed due one bizarre bounce of the ball against the world champs is a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

Since ownership is open about re-signing everyone and that they have Bird Rights to Harris and Butler, maybe they should add some players before they sign the big guys. Remember, they won't get into the repeater tax for three years.

i'm kind of surprised Horford is opting out without having an extension already agreed upon. He will be taking less but if he gets less than in the 60 millions, he should opt-in, take his $30M for this year and try to get $15M/ year for the two years after that.

Last edited:
Pels considering it though.

Pels considering it though.

Yep. There is a bidding war for the #4 (Garland). Pels have also been asking the Wizards about what it would take to get Bradley Beal. The Pels have offered the 4th pick among other things. If the Wizards traded Beal, they would be historically awful in 2019-2020, which would contradict Ted Leonsis' (Wiz Owner) proclamation less than 6 months ago that the "Wizards would never tank".

Last edited:
The only way #4 makes sense to the Hawks is if they have a deal with Memphis for #2. Makes sense if Memphis is fairy certain that the Knicks wouldn't take Ja even if the Hawks got ahead of them and took Barrett. Pretty big if though ...

The only way #4 makes sense to the Hawks is if they have a deal with Memphis for #2. Makes sense if Memphis is fairy certain that the Knicks wouldn't take Ja even if the Hawks got ahead of them and took Barrett. Pretty big if though ...

so in your scenario it goes:

NO: Zion
Hawks: RJ?
Knicks: ???
Memphis: Ja

I’m guessing the Hawks don’t want Garland, but they could probably guarantee Hunter or Culver and a pick for him. Basically they are trying to do what they did last year with Luka. So maybe instead of 8 and 10 this year, they get 5 this year and 7 next year or a top 3 pick in 2021.

Last edited:
Back