• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Wow. Moving from Memphis to Salt Lake is gonna be culture shock galore.

I’ve never been to Memphis and I’m sure it’s very different than SLC but SLC is a surprisingly cool town. It’s pretty progressive compared to the rest of Utah which is like a much prettier Alabama with nicer residents.

guess there's some talk about Korver getting bought out and going to the Lakeshow.

He'll have to wait until they try to get another FA and then get the MLE. It will come down to the Lakers or Sixers as Korver is cheaper than JJ.

I’ve never been to Memphis and I’m sure it’s very different than SLC but SLC is a surprisingly cool town. It’s pretty progressive compared to the rest of Utah which is like a much prettier Alabama with nicer residents.

I agree with this. Half of SLC is super Mormon. The other half is super crunchy outdoorsy and/or progressive. Went there the last two summers and really enjoyed it. It is definitely extremely white though.

I'm fine with that one, he is the second most important player on the team behind Kemba. That salary puts him right below Justice Winslow and Solomon Hill. He is a very effective small-ball 4 who can defend all 5 positions, and luckily his own shot doesn't look like that any more and is fairly consistent. His is the most palatable of the MKG/Zeller/Marvin/Batum contract mess. With his contract expiring at the end of this coming season I could see a contender with enough offense giving up some decent #assets or #draftcapital to get him.

Should have known you'd be here to defend.

He shot 34% from 3, averaged 6/3/1, his defensive rating has steadily declined every year since 13-14, and at 0.2 VORP, he is the very definition of a replacement level player, again at a $13M contract. You'd prefer to be paying vet minimum for those numbers if you're building a team.

D9bw6gyXYAUMTUR.jpg

he's BACK for a cool $13m next season

Basketball IQ is off the charts. This is a prime example. That is unblockable because everyone falls for the no look shot.

Should have known you'd be here to defend.

He shot 34% from 3, averaged 6/3/1, his defensive rating has steadily declined every year since 13-14, and at 0.2 VORP, he is the very definition of a replacement level player, again at a $13M contract. You'd prefer to be paying vet minimum for those numbers if you're building a team.

No shit, any idiot would prefer to pay vet minimum for every player on every roster. Millennial NBA contract analysis is a theoretical debate that assumes there are a multitude of guys who play to or outperform their contract who are readily available to sign with every team at any given point in time with respect to cap room, when I would argue that, other than those players still on rookie deals, almost all veteran contracts are bad contracts save a handful. It is the nature of the CBA. Recognizing that stats do not tell the full story of a player's impact to a franchise, especially defensively, MKG's contract doesn't move the needle with me on the scale of bad contracts.

Okay, rafi

Whoa. He’s totally Rafi for the Hornets and Giants. Good call.

If you’re a fan of a bad franchise, you shouldn’t get excited about signing the same bad players for the same money.

It's the player option on a 4-year contract. MKG is coming off his worst season, during which he as injured, but is only 25 years old and will be playing to try to cash in on his third contract.

nACmVov.png

How do you rank these 5 guys? Let's assume they're all free agents, all available for $13M.

Whoa. He’s totally Rafi for the Hornets and Giants. Good call.

If you’re a fan of a bad franchise, you shouldn’t get excited about signing the same bad players for the same money.

The contract was signed 3 years ago, it isn't unexpected or worth getting excited about one way or the other, it comes off next year.

Those aren't guys, they are numbers. Tell me who the guys are and I'll rank them.

Gold. I really like that statement.

But for the fun of it, they are 5 players who all made between 12.5 and 13.5 last season:

1 Wilson Chandler
2 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
3 Jeremy Lin
4 Nikola Mirotic
5 Thaddeus Young

You do realize that MKG exercised a player option, right ?

Trying to think of a reason why he'd do such a thing...

At first, I just thought teams couldn’t do math when giving out max contracts to old players who are going to suck halfway through the deal...

And perhaps everyone realizes this already, but it’s more likely that Houston knew the CP3 contract was going to be terrible after the first couple of years, but they were hoping to extract extra value in the early years (and maybe win a championship).

So I don’t care if the my are “stuck” with CP3... They knew what they were doing. It’d be dumb for anyone else to take CP3 for “free”.

As far as the Conley trade... I’m not huge on Conley anymore, but that’s a lot of shitty players for him. Agree the pick is the only thing of real value.

i love my charlotte hornets but can admit that the roster is a complete clusterfuck and MKG sucks

Back