• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Yeah, on average, over the past 10 years the Hornets have picked 12th in the first round. In the two years in Bobcats/new Hornets history when they picked second, the #1 picks were Dwight Howard and Anthony Davis.

That's not really an excuse. Plenty of good players get picked after #12. Since they picked Kemba in 2011, they picked MKG (#2) over Beal (#3) and Dame (#6) in 2012. In 2013, they picked Zeller at #4 when Giannis went at #15. They could have taken McCollum or Steven Adams. In 2014, they took Vonleh over guys like Saric, LaVine, Warren, and Nurkic, not to mention Capela and Bogdan later in the 1st. Kaminsky over Myles Turner and Booker. Could have had Mitchell over Monk.

Possibly. Looks like the Pelicans actually drafted him and the Hornets traded for his rights on draft night for the rights of Frank Jackson, so I don't know how you define "drafted" for Wikipedia purposes since the Hornets clearly picked him.

So worthwhile to look backwards at drafts. 14 teams didn't pick Giannis and Anthony Bennett was the #1 overall pick.

The Hornets have drafted the same number of All Stars as the Bucks.

Last edited:
And the Bucks were in a similar purgatory until they made better draft and management decisions.

I’m going to piss off 2&2 by posting an article using analytics to show that the Bobcats/Hornets are the worst drafting franchise over the last two decades.

http://thedataface.com/2019/06/sports/best-drafting-nba-teams

If Rozier leaves Boston, will Stevens stay with the sinking ship or return to college at $6-9M/year?

Is there a curse of Isaiah Thomas?

DON’T FUCK UP THE SURE THING AGAIN HATCH!!!!!

If Rozier leaves Boston, will Stevens stay with the sinking ship or return to college at $6-9M/year?

Is there a curse of Isaiah Thomas?
Lol, I’m curious why you think Terry freaking Rozier would be the final straw.

That's both PGs and the glue that kept the team together. With Rozier and Horford, the Celtics made a nice run. Losing both of them and Kyris turns them into a rebuild. Coaches tend to get blamed when teams don't do well.

I don’t need to see analytics to know the Hornets suck at drafting. Combination of bad luck (missing on Howard, CP3, Davis) and bad choices (basically everyone but Kemba). Thinking back to the original Hornets they were only good because they made good selections in top three of the draft a few times (LJ, Zo, Baron Davis) but otherwise similarly were terrible at drafting

That's both PGs and the glue that kept the team together. With Rozier and Horford, the Celtics made a nice run. Losing both of them and Kyris turns them into a rebuild. Coaches tend to get blamed when teams don't do well.
Stevens has known he's in for a rebuild for months now. They're rebuilding with or without Terry effing Rozier.

Drafted Rex Chapman though.

But the Bobcats/Hornets have had multiple owners, GMs, and coaches. None of them have been particularly good, or happened to get lucky.

I mean, to show what a crapshoot the NBA draft is, look at the 2006 version. The Bobcats had the #3 pick and took Adam Morrison after Brandon Roy (ROY) declared he didn't want to play in Charlotte. Obviously that one never worked out, but Morrison was a great college player. The only plyers picked in the first round after Morrison and Roy who had particularly good careers were Randy Foye (7), Rudy Gay (8), JJ Redick (11), Sefolosha (13), Rajon (21), and Kyle Lowry (24). The Bobcats already had young versions of Felton, May, and Okafor as a core, as well as Gerald Wallace, so that eliminated C and PG as positions of immediate need.

The second round included David Noel, PJ Tucker, and Paul Milsap.

The Bobcats also drafted Ryan Hollins at #50 in that draft who had a 10-year NBA career.

I'm not making excuses as much as pointing out that drafting in the NBA isn't as easy or obvious as certain people seem to think. IOW, how many GMs were thinking Kyle Lowry is going to be the #2 go to guy on an NBA championship team when they saw him drafted at #24 ?

Stevens has known he's in for a rebuild for months now. They're rebuilding with or without Terry effing Rozier.

RJ is focused on Terry Rozier and Julius Randle this offseason.

Drafted Rex Chapman though.

But the Bobcats/Hornets have had multiple owners, GMs, and coaches. None of them have been particularly good, or happened to get lucky.

I mean, to show what a crapshoot the NBA draft is, look at the 2006 version. The Bobcats had the #3 pick and took Adam Morrison after Brandon Roy (ROY) declared he didn't want to play in Charlotte. Obviously that one never worked out, but Morrison was a great college player. The only plyers picked in the first round after Morrison and Roy who had particularly good careers were Randy Foye (7), Rudy Gay (8), JJ Redick (11), Sefolosha (13), Rajon (21), and Kyle Lowry (24). The Bobcats already had young versions of Felton, May, and Okafor as a core, as well as Gerald Wallace, so that eliminated C and PG as positions of immediate need.

The second round included David Noel, PJ Tucker, and Paul Milsap.

The Bobcats also drafted Ryan Hollins at #50 in that draft who had a 10-year NBA career.

I'm not making excuses as much as pointing out that drafting in the NBA isn't as easy or obvious as certain people seem to think. IOW, how many GMs were thinking Kyle Lowry is going to be the #2 go to guy on an NBA championship team when they saw him drafted at #24 ?

LOL at the idea you had to be a genius not to select Adam Morrison with the #3 pick. Everybody laughs at the Hornets picks on draft night and years later they act like taking Sean May was some great pick that just didn't work out.

I thought Adam Morrison would be a decent pro.

I did not think Sean May would be a decent pro.

I think Stevens is fine.

Less headaches and expectations next year. Perhaps easier to coach / motivate.

Just like Boston wasn’t a shoo-in to win the East this year, they aren’t going to suck next year.

They aren't going to suck. They just won't be considered contenders like they were this year. Maybe getting rid of Kyrie and Horford is what they need for the young talent to flourish and get Hayward back on track.

I thought Adam Morrison would be a decent pro.

I did not think Sean May would be a decent pro.

Yeah, I thought Morrison would be alright too. The debate before the draft was Morrison who was a concensus 1st team All-American and national scoring leader, or Rudy Gay.

May sucked and the thought that we could have traded up the Felton and May picks to get CP3, but Bickerstaff turned it down is still maddening.

However fairly sure I’m on the record that Durant was first team #tooathletic all NBA

got in a huge fight with an old roommate about whether frank kaminsky was going to be good (i said yes)

Back