• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

boston sports fan is an idiot about boston sports teams? shocker.

On how much he likes Kemba. Wouldn’t vote for him for All-NBA but now thinks he’s a top 10 guy and a great teammate
He said he thinks Kemba is one of the 15-20 best players in the league, not top 10.

With all the talk about Butler to Houston in a sign and trade, the Sixers would need a third team as they would have no use for Capela. First, the Sixers would need to get Gordon to do an extension.

Here, we got:

Houston gets - Butler
Sixers get - Gordon, Deandre Hunter, Kevin Huerter and an Atlanta 1st round pick ( andmaybe a Houston 1st Round pick)
Hawks get - Capela and PJ Tucker

Why the teams do it:

Houston covets Butler
Sixers get rid of a guy who doesn't really want to be there and pick up some shooters , a young wing defender and add quality, inexpensive depth.
Hawks- they have no rim protector. Tucker is an established and top level wing defender. Reddish is much better than Huerter so that's not a big loss. Getting Capela and Tucker should propel them into the playoffs next year making the draft pick not that big a deal.

Why on earth would Atlanta do that? Pretty sure they view Hunter as significantly better than PJ Tucker. Biyombo 2.0 does nothing for that team. And they have to give up a first round pick plus Huerter to do that? That makes zero sense.

With all the talk about Butler to Houston in a sign and trade, the Sixers would need a third team as they would have no use for Capela. First, the Sixers would need to get Gordon to do an extension.

???

Backup C is the top need for the Sixers. Resting Embiid enough for the playoffs is literally the thing keeping them from winning a title in next season's NBA.

Why on earth would Atlanta do that? Pretty sure they view Hunter as significantly better than PJ Tucker. Biyombo 2.0 does nothing for that team. And they have to give up a first round pick plus Huerter to do that? That makes zero sense.

I think you're missing the point of these exercises, wherein rj plays NBA2K GM to improve the Sixers

???

Backup C is the top need for the Sixers. Resting Embiid enough for the playoffs is literally the thing keeping them from winning a title in next season's NBA.

You don't pay a back-up player (behind a max player and can only play one position), $17-20M for the next four years. That's a waste of money.

Anyone who thinks 16.6/12.7/1.5 is Biyombo 2.0 should be ignored.

Capela will make $15M next year, then no more than $19 after that. Butler is gonna get $35M/year for the same time period. That's a lot for someone with Jimmy's level of production too. Sixers had a lot of bad fit last year with a non shooting PG, a PnR guy who wouldn't shoot, and no backup C. This helps two of those three things.

I'm not saying I would even do the trade, I just don't agree that we'd have no use for Capela. It'd be overpaying for a backup, for sure, but it's absolutely an area of need.

still, half baked. At best. What Atlanta has done is collected a bunch of cheap assets, some of whom will grow into at worst, starters and at best, HOFers. Right now, it is not clear which of the 4 or 5 core players that includes, but Huerter and Hunter are both there to watch develop over at least the next year.

Atlanta maxes their cap space with a bunch of overpaid mid-age players in Turner, Hill, Plumlee, and Crabbe ALL OF WHOM COME OFF THE BOOKS AFTER NEXT SEASON. This means, they can sign one or two max deal players next year to go with their young guns. It would take a HOF player to wrest them from that trajectory.

Do the Sixers need a backup C so they can play Embiid fewer minutes or do they need a backup C because they don’t plan to play him more than 60-65 regular season games. Or both?

Interesting interview with PJ Tucker in The Athletic today. He says CP3 and Harden are fine and don't argue all that much - he argues with both more than they argue with each other. Of course, that could be because they loathe each other too much to argue. Says Hou is instead gearing up to win it all now.

CP3 can be a jerk we all know, but that game 6 he was el fuego and Harden took the ball out of his hands in the 4th quarter so he could clank 3-pointers. CP3 had every right to be pissed. These are HOF moments and he is a HOF player. So is Harden, but Klay and Steph and Durant had he been there have figured out how to feed the hot player. Harden needs to learn this if he has any chance of winning a championship. I count two playoff meltdowns now under Harden's belt. Now, CP3 has some "are you shitting me?" mistakes in the playoffs as well, but he also hit a series winning floating jumper over Tim Duncan. If he's shooting 70% and Steph can't guard him, give him the fucking ball and you go stand in the corner, motherfucker.

Full disclosure, I can't stand Harden's game or demeanor. He's black Manson to me with that dead eye stare.

Do the Sixers need a backup C so they can play Embiid fewer minutes or do they need a backup C because they don’t plan to play him more than 60-65 regular season games. Or both?

I go with both. Limiting Embiid's minutes in games and also limiting his games - like not playing back to back, will keep him healthy longer. Maybe reduce the injury list stays.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27059802/sources-nba-talks-fewer-games-season-event

Reducing the season is not something I am interested in at all but I can understand that point of view. Introducing a cup competition is just dumb. There is no need or desire for it.

I think a barnstorming preseason tourney held at non-NBA arenas would be fun. Teams that finish in the Final Four would get a tiebreaker in the postseason.

Not feeling it midseason. Keep the games at 82. Stretch out the season a bit more and keep letting teams manage players rest.

I think you're missing the point of these exercises, wherein rj plays NBA2K GM to improve the Sixers

I realize logic and thought are out of your comfort level. Let me give you some knowledge.

Houston is the easiest to inform you about. They want Butler and are willing to give up Capela, Gordon and Tucker to clear enough cap space to get him. Do you understand this?

The Sixers are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They have no use for the very expensive Capela.

The Hawks were the worst team in the NBA on D and they pick up two elite defenders. They were middle of the pack in rebounding. This will put them close to the top. With the addition of Reddish, Huerter is an extra piece who can easily be replaced. RE: Giving up Hunter- you have to give up something to get two starters.

I realize this would take more than a superficial amount of thought. I fully understand how easy it is to say - RJ bad. Hopefully, someday, you'll grow past both of these issues. I've held out that hope for a while but am an optimist.

Both. They ran out rookie Jonah Bolden and mecha Boban last year.

so the Hawks would effectively spend three 1st round picks to pay Capela and 34 year-old Tucker $20+ million

Back