• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

I'm thinking more like a team like Indiana or Utah would happily trade like the 15th pick for him this year. Some team who was like 5th-8th in the playoffs last year.

I don't think so. At #15, you can get a good player who could possible develop into a cornerstone for the franchise before his rookie deal is up. Hell, arguably the two best players in the league were #15 picks.

I don't think so. At #15, you can get a good player who could possible develop into a cornerstone for the franchise before his rookie deal is up. Hell, arguably the two best players in the league were #15 picks.

Usually teams picking at #15 are right at the cusp of being contenders. Plenty will trade the #15 pick for a guy who can give you 30 tomorrow. He was the 2nd best asset in a trade for Anthony Davis. He's worth more than a 2nd rounder bruh.

Usually teams picking at #15 are right at the cusp of being contenders. Plenty will trade the #15 pick for a guy who can give you 30 tomorrow. He was the 2nd best asset in a trade for Anthony Davis. He's worth more than a 2nd rounder bruh.

I could maybe see Brooklyn (#17) or SA (#19) making that move only because they also have another 1st rounder 10 picks later. I can't see a team giving up their only first for a guy who may only be there one year.

That unprotected 2024 pick could be golden. Lebron turns 39 that season. He may be retired or declined and AD could be elsewhere. Good chance that's a lottery pick. Two lottery picks, an unprotected 1st, plus three young former first rounders. That's a good star trade.

Last edited:
AD is getting paid a little under $28M next year. Ball, Ingram and Hart are making right at $18M. That puts them at about $75-76M. The cap will be about $109M.

The signs were all to B'klyn before KD got hurt and the Lakers got AD. I'd guess it's close to a toss-up at this point. Without another star, B'klyn has no shot at winning the East with Kyrie.

From HoopsRumors.com:
The Lakers will have either $27.8MM or $32.5MM in cap room after the deal to pursue a high-level free agent, depending upon timing and Davis’ willingness to waive his $4MM trade bonus, ESPN salary cap expert Bobby Marks tweets.

The trade cannot be officially finalized until after the new league year begins in July. It may be even be completed as late as July 30 — newly-drafted players can be traded immediately without signing a rookie scale contract, but if they sign that contract, they aren’t eligible to be dealt for 30 days. Waiting those 30 days would be advantageous to the Lakers for cap-related reasons, as Marks notes (via Twitter).

The Lakers still don’t have quite enough cap room to max out a free agent like Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie Irving or Kemba Walker but they’re close to it, Eric Pincus of Basketball Insiders tweets. Naturally, one of those free agents might take a little less to form a superstar trio in Los Angeles or the Lakers could make other moves to clear more cap room. Walker will be the Lakers’ top free agent target, Marc Stein of the New York Times tweets.

I was pretty close, eh? :)

I wonder if Kemba saying he'd take less than max was a clue for the Lakers.

The other picks are a protected 2021 and unprotected 2024. Not bad. If they don’t want Ingram, they could probably flip him for a second rounder maybe a low 1st. This was a very good deal for the Pels

how is ball a negative?

I could maybe see Brooklyn (#17) or SA (#19) making that move only because they also have another 1st rounder 10 picks later. I can't see a team giving up their only first for a guy who may only be there one year.

That unprotected 2024 pick could be golden. Lebron turns 39 that season. He may be retired or declined and AD could be elsewhere. Good chance that's a lottery pick. Two lottery picks, an unprotected 1st, plus three young former first rounders. That's a good star trade.

Still pretty dumb by GM Lebron. Shoulda waited a year and signed him in free agency and kept all of that.

Perhaps not in a year where Klay and KD are out. Lakers can also always land Kawhi too

Are the Knicks still stupid enough to trade #3 for #4 and the Lakers other two picks the Pels just got?

I was pretty close, eh? :)

I wonder if Kemba saying he'd take less than max was a clue for the Lakers.

Yeah, I was just clarifying my point that the exact number is unknown.

I took Kemba’s comment to mean that he’d take less from Charlotte if they’d bring in some help.

Yeah, I was just clarifying my point that the exact number is unknown.

I took Kemba’s comment to mean that he’d take less from Charlotte if they’d bring in some help.

I did too, but there could be subtext as well. That was pre-AD to Lakers.

How's this for an NBA scenario?

The Warriors re-sign Klay and KD as they sit out this year.

The Warriors miss the playoffs with a skeleton team.

They win the lottery and get James Wiseman or Anthony Edwards to join the team.

Fun, eh? :)

As an aside, I think it's about a 70% chance that the Lakers sign either Kyrie or Kemba. If they do, I wouldn't be shocked if they try to sign JJ to the mid-level exception of about $9M.

Juice, your Bulls gonna trade Markkanen to the Pels for #4?

Long read about the implications of the AD trade on the rest of the draft.

https://theathletic.com/1029637/201...lakers-will-have-ripple-effects-on-nba-draft/

4. This is complete speculation on my part as opposed to something I’ve heard is a real possibility, but my favorite potential deal out on the market right now is something centered around Lauri Markkanen and the No. 4 pick. With Wendell Carter in Chicago as the team’s center of the future, Markkanen’s place is a bit more precarious despite his terrific production in his first two seasons. His best defensive position in the modern NBA is almost certainly at center next to a rim-protecting 4. That possibility doesn’t really exist in Chicago right now. By using Markkanen, the Bulls could get the high-upside, offensively-creative lead guard they need in Garland.

And in New Orleans, Markkanen is about as strong a fit as you could imagine next to Zion. Offensively, he’d shore up the team’s biggest weakness following this deal: perimeter shooting, giving Williamson more room to operate in the half-court. Markkanen is one of the few centers in the league that you can legit run off of off-ball screens in actions to get clean looks, and that sense of gravity would really help open things up. Then on the other end, competitive, high-end defensive guards in Jrue Holiday and Lonzo Ball would make Markkanen’s life a bit easier on the perimeter. Inside, it’s hard to imagine a scenario that helps him more than putting him next to Zion. In a world where fake trades will abound over the next few days, that’s a really fun one.

Hadn’t seen these additional trade details posted.

The Pelicans got the following:

2019 #4
2021 Top 8 protected or 2022 unprotected
2023 Unprotected pick swap
2024 Unprotected pick
2025 Unprotected pick swap

The Pelicans basically own the future of the Lakers franchise.

The Cavs and Heat have two playoff appearances combined post-Lebron. Why would the Lakers fair any better especially considering how they’ve sucked post-Kobe. Lebron turns 35 this season.

WOJ:
For now, the expectation is that the deal will be completed on July 6, the end of the free-agent moratorium, league sources told Wojnarowski and Bobby Marks. Assuming that Davis continues with his plan to accept his 15 percent trade bonus of $4 million, the Lakers will have $23.7 million in available salary cap space for free agency. Davis has the right to void the bonus.

$23.7mil ain't gonna get them Kemba (or any top level free agent).

I still think they overpay for someone more "meh"

Current odds for 2020 NBA Championship:

Lakers 3-1
Bucks 6-1
Clippers 7-1
Rockets 8-1
Raptors 10-1
Sixers 12-1
GSW 12-1
Celts 16-1
Nuggets 16-1
OKC 20-1
Nets 25-1
Blazers 30-1
Jazz 30-1
Mavs 40-1
Knicks 50-1
Pacers 60-1
Pels 60-1
Spurs 60-1
Hawks 80-1
Magic 80-1
Bulls 100-1
Griz 100-1
Kings 100-1
Suns 100-1
Cavs 200-1
Heat 200-1
Hornets 200-1
Pistons 200-1
Wizards 200-1

If there is a bet against the Lakers to win the title, I would jump at it.

At the current odds, I'm intrigued by the Celts, Nuggets, Pacers (they were as good as anyone in the East before Oladipo, went down, and they have cap room), Hawks (realize that it's a year or two too early, but they are coming an 80-1 is a clear overlay).

Kemba's not going to take a paycut to go to the Lakers to carry the team for 1/3 of the season while Lebron and Davis rest.

Back