• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

BTW - James Johnson having such a hum drum season that he has been a healthy DNP the last week as they make a push for the playoffs. That's an expensive asset to be out of the top 10 rotation. I think a former 10-day contract guy is taking his minutes - Derrick Jones Jr.

JJ is making $14 mil this year, $15 mil next year and a player option the next. I would expect Miami to try and unload him in the summer if they can. I think he would make a nice wing for the Hawks. bazemore is on a similar contract but one year shorter. A swap might benefit both if the Hawks can pry a draft pick out of Miami as well.

so he got paid and then stopped playing as well? i will be damned.

Ouch. The T-Wolves need to do some soul searching. They’re getting passed by the Kings.

Why? The Hornets will likely be the 6 or 7 seed. The Sixers are the 5th seed. Acting like the process was some great coup or success is absurd. With the way they wasted pretty much every draft pick along the way, you could even say that Embiid was pure luck.

Instead of watching the 5th seed in the East in year 6 of the process after multiple years of completely unwatchable basketball? Not much to be jealous of.

Just want to periodically check in on this take as the hornets are on pace to miss out on the playoffs and the sixers hone in on the three seed, 19 games above 500 with an easy run in.

Sixers have let the Bucks get about five loose balls this quarter...come on guys, hustle...

Sixers are really good at full strength. Need to lock down that 3 seed though. Still don’t like the matchup with Boston

Giannis is so good. Good lord. What a performance from him.

Impressive work from the Sixers on the road today. Big time win.

The Sixers should rework the lyrics of this and use it...Come on Embiid...It's got great action and could get the crowd going nuts...

The Sixers should rework the lyrics of this and use it...Come on Embiid...It's got great action and could get the crowd going nuts...

Come on, Embiid
Oh, I swear (what he means)
At this moment, you mean everything
You in that dress, my thoughts I confess
Verge on dirty
Ah, come on, Embiid

Spurs beat W's tonight. Spurs making a good push for the playoffs.

Impressive effort. Tied for 5th and clinched another winning season. They can get to 50 wins with an 8-3 finish.

Have you found yourself rooting for JJ Redick yet? Or just accepted the fandom?

Haha you've asked me this so many times. He's too streaky for me to full on fanboy, but his DHO with Embiid is such a ridiculously fun play.

Listened to a good Sixers podcast ep about Brett Brown this morning on my commute. Common fan critiques are:

1) His rotations
This is overly broad, but he's got the roster he's got. The starters are basically the best 5 man rotation in the league. Then after that the most serviceable backup they have is...Mike Scott. He should never run Ben and TJ out together if it can be avoided unless you wanna put Ben in the dunker's spot. And in the playoffs, Ben will be an issue against teams like Milwaukee and Boston who can really exploit non shooters and stop you from getting in the lane. This will be Brett's biggest challenge.

2) Not running enough Pick and Roll
They compared the best offenses to the teams who run the least pick and roll, and it's pretty much a direct map. Sixers are second lowest total PnRs run, Golden State is least, and 7 of the 10 best offenses in the league were in the 10 least PnRs run. Sixers do have the second highest efficiency rate in the league when running the PnR, so they could run it more, but it's a personnel thing again. You don't want Ben running it. They run it with Jimmy at the end of games, and you could probably run it with him a little more to get him in the offense a bit. Maybe the best area to expand this is with Tobias, who has great chemistry with Boban, but otherwise seems to thrive in iso, transition, and second chance scoring. We don't really run a lot of plays, full stop. Seems like we do set up in the halfcourt almost exactly the same on every set as a way of teaching Joel about how to recognize doubles, and Joel has cut down his turnovers every year for it.

3) Running too much Dribble Hand Off
It works. We run it a lot because we have the best DHO guy in the league, JJ.

4) Turnovers
This was another interesting stat--basically the teams that run the best offenses in the league do turn the ball over quite a bit. The teams with very low turnover numbers are teams like Charlotte and Orlando whose offense really sucks. That's a coaching deficiency. If you're overvaluing protecting the ball rather than trying to generate the best shot, you're not doing offense correctly. Golden State turns the ball over at a very similar rate to the Sixers because they're constantly looking to find the best shot. The worrying thing about turnovers is really that we're not generating a ton of turnovers. Jimmy hasn't really given us the defensive havoc that Covington gave. He's got good tip/steal numbers in passing lanes, but he's not really doing it on ball. He also sells the fuck out too hard too much.

Things Brett has done very well:

1) Keep the roster happy
This year has basically been three completely different teams given how much the team has changed. And Ben and Joel have seemingly gotten closer throughout it. That's a testament to Brett for sure.

2) Draw up plays out of time out
Basically the best in the NBA at this. We score more in the halfcourt out of timeout than any team in the league.

3) Manage Embiid's minutes
Embiid is gonna get to 65 games this year barring some injury, and that's pretty good. Think Brett does a really good job picking spots to rest him in games. The Sixers are gonna win somewhere between 50 and 55 of those games, which is also very good.

Redick sucks to have as a starter on a playoff team

Always seemed like he missed clutch shots for the Clips and tends to get neutralized as a series drags on

You'll hate him again soon

Redick sucks to have as a starter on a playoff team

Always seemed like he missed clutch shots for the Clips and tends to get neutralized as a series drags on

You'll hate him again soon

bruh, shouldn't you be on take timeout after getting us all hype about shaka?

Back