• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Just as a reminder, 6ers passed on Tatum to take the Fulzter.

Hindsight is 20/20. It also sounds like Philly’s front office is a disaster. Colangelo probably should have spent less time anonymously shitting on his team on the Internet and more time trying to figure out what the hell was going on with/managing his personnel.

Also, I’ve watched Doncic and Young play. Doncic was my favorite player in the draft (and I think the Kings and Hawks were monumentally stupid for passing on him), but Young has surprised me this season so far. They’re playing about even (in oversized roles on miserable basketball teams) in my book. Time will tell, but the outrage seems weird.

It's not "hindsight". I think Jay agreed with me when the trade was made that is was moronic and would hurt the Sixers. The only way that trade works for the Sixers is if they had taken Tatum to screw Ainge's plans to take him #1 or #3.

From the time of the trade, through that summer and since, we've both said it was a stupid trade. It's not 20/20 hindsight.

It's not "hindsight". I think Jay agreed with me when the trade was made that is was moronic and would hurt the Sixers. The only way that trade works for the Sixers is if they had taken Tatum to screw Ainge's plans to take him #1 or #3.

From the time of the trade, through that summer and since, we've both said it was a stupid trade. It's not 20/20 hindsight.

I’m not talking about the trade. I agree with you about the trade.

Fultz was a near-consensus #1 pick for a reason. That’s all I’m saying.

Ainge had basically anyone who would listen he like Tatum more than Fultz.

I never understood why Fultz was considered such a high pick after seeing him play at least in half a dozen games in college. I was all for taking Sac's offer of #5 and #10 for #3 or even #1.

Hindsight is 20/20. It also sounds like Philly’s front office is a disaster. Colangelo probably should have spent less time anonymously shitting on his team on the Internet and more time trying to figure out what the hell was going on with/managing his personnel.

Also, I’ve watched Doncic and Young play. Doncic was my favorite player in the draft (and I think the Kings and Hawks were monumentally stupid for passing on him), but Young has surprised me this season so far. They’re playing about even (in oversized roles on miserable basketball teams) in my book. Time will tell, but the outrage seems weird.
Trae Young is putting up good counting numbers, but he is shooting dog shit percentages: .39/.24

Ty. I thought his point and assist numbers looked good too and wondered why he was receiving so much criticism on here.

Besides shooting like shit and playing bad D, Young is #5 in most turnovers.

Curious to see how/if playing with a healthy John Collins impacts Trae's numbers.

He took several horrible shots while playing with JC a couple of nights ago.

I did (as I recall). I have been wrong a lot in my NBA prognastications, but I had Tatum as by far the best player in his draft class. And I didn't think it was even close. He far outclassed anyone at #2 (I said). Now, we know that the only player in his class was Donovan Mitchell. Turns out it was a weak draft as well.

The Celtics certainly aren't infallible though. They wasted a pick this year on Robert Williams who would be waiting tables today if his legs could keep him upright for a 6-hour shift. Hint: they can't.

I think if you redid the 2017 draft, John Collins would be a top 5 pick (moving up from #19), and he wouldn't even be the highest mover - that would have to go to Kyle Kuzma, who should probably be drafted sooner than Collins. He was the 27th pick.

Trivia / Discussion - who are the 5 best 2nd round pick in the modern NBA draft - since it went to 2 rounds in 1989?

Here is a link to rifle through if interested: https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1989.html

I count 15 players drafted in the 2nd round who were selected to NBA all-star teams. More than I expected.

I expected the list to include Agent Zero (Gilbert Arenas for you kids at home) and Manu in the top 5. I don't think Arenas makes my top 10.

Omari Spellman looks like hell be a serviceable NBA big man

If 2017 was re-done, the Sixers would probably take Donovan Mitchell first. They need him more than Tatum.

2nd round picks who I believe made at least one NBA all-star game:

Carlos Boozer
Antonio Davis
Cliff Robinson
Rashard Lewis
Manu
Michael Redd
Gilbert Arenas
Marc Gasol
Paul Milsap
The Joker (did not know he was a 2nd round pick, wow)
Goran Dragic
DeAndre Jordan
Draymond Green
Hassan Whiteside
Isiah Thomas (the ex-Celtic one)

Also:

Danny Green
Khris Middleton
Matt Barnes
Cedric Ceballalos
PJ Brown
Matt Geiger
Nick Van Excel
Byron Russell
Eric Snow
Stephen Jackson
Cuttino Mobley
PJ Tucker
Trevor Ariza

I think if you redid the 2017 draft, John Collins would be a top 5 pick (moving up from #19), and he wouldn't even be the highest mover - that would have to go to Kyle Kuzma, who should probably be drafted sooner than Collins. He was the 27th pick.

Trivia / Discussion - who are the 5 best 2nd round pick in the modern NBA draft - since it went to 2 rounds in 1989?

Here is a link to rifle through if interested: https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1989.html

Uggg, after reading the Fultz story about how he took himself out after being benched for McConnell, I just came here to do a redraft the 2017 draft post. Me and bone are kindred spirits

Tatum, Donovan Mitchell and Fox are the only guys that seems to be a lock over Collins (and even Tatum has regressed this season). Smith Jr, Lonzo, Jackson, Markkhannen, Bam, Anunoby, and Kumza haven't made any big leaps in year 2, meanwhile small sample size Collins has a 31 PER.

One could make the argument that there's not a single player in the NBA more damaging to team chemistry than Austin Rivers.

Back