Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 NBA Season Thread: Enes Kanter, Terrorist (League Pass Free til Sunday)

Robert O'Kelley
    Just as a reminder, 6ers passed on Tatum to take the Fulzter.
    le bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaybone View Post
    Just as a reminder, 6ers passed on Tatum to take the Fulzter.
    Hindsight is 20/20. It also sounds like Philly’s front office is a disaster. Colangelo probably should have spent less time anonymously shitting on his team on the Internet and more time trying to figure out what the hell was going on with/managing his personnel.

Also, I’ve watched Doncic and Young play. Doncic was my favorite player in the draft (and I think the Kings and Hawks were monumentally stupid for passing on him), but Young has surprised me this season so far. They’re playing about even (in oversized roles on miserable basketball teams) in my book. Time will tell, but the outrage seems weird.
    We're going to be good again.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    It's not "hindsight". I think Jay agreed with me when the trade was made that is was moronic and would hurt the Sixers. The only way that trade works for the Sixers is if they had taken Tatum to screw Ainge's plans to take him #1 or #3.

From the time of the trade, through that summer and since, we've both said it was a stupid trade. It's not 20/20 hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    It's not "hindsight". I think Jay agreed with me when the trade was made that is was moronic and would hurt the Sixers. The only way that trade works for the Sixers is if they had taken Tatum to screw Ainge's plans to take him #1 or #3.

From the time of the trade, through that summer and since, we've both said it was a stupid trade. It's not 20/20 hindsight.
    I’m not talking about the trade. I agree with you about the trade.

Fultz was a near-consensus #1 pick for a reason. That’s all I’m saying.
    We're going to be good again.

Ainge had basically anyone who would listen he like Tatum more than Fultz.

I never understood why Fultz was considered such a high pick after seeing him play at least in half a dozen games in college. I was all for taking Sac's offer of #5 and #10 for #3 or even #1.

A Young Go-Hard
    Quote Originally Posted by Strickland33 View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. It also sounds like Philly’s front office is a disaster. Colangelo probably should have spent less time anonymously shitting on his team on the Internet and more time trying to figure out what the hell was going on with/managing his personnel.

Also, I’ve watched Doncic and Young play. Doncic was my favorite player in the draft (and I think the Kings and Hawks were monumentally stupid for passing on him), but Young has surprised me this season so far. They’re playing about even (in oversized roles on miserable basketball teams) in my book. Time will tell, but the outrage seems weird.
    Trae Young is putting up good counting numbers, but he is shooting dog shit percentages: .39/.24
    Draxx them sklounst

Ty. I thought his point and assist numbers looked good too and wondered why he was receiving so much criticism on here.

Besides shooting like shit and playing bad D, Young is #5 in most turnovers.

Curious to see how/if playing with a healthy John Collins impacts Trae's numbers.

He took several horrible shots while playing with JC a couple of nights ago.

Robert O'Kelley

I did (as I recall). I have been wrong a lot in my NBA prognastications, but I had Tatum as by far the best player in his draft class. And I didn't think it was even close. He far outclassed anyone at #2 (I said). Now, we know that the only player in his class was Donovan Mitchell. Turns out it was a weak draft as well.

The Celtics certainly aren't infallible though. They wasted a pick this year on Robert Williams who would be waiting tables today if his legs could keep him upright for a 6-hour shift. Hint: they can't.
    le bone

Robert O'Kelley
    I think if you redid the 2017 draft, John Collins would be a top 5 pick (moving up from #19), and he wouldn't even be the highest mover - that would have to go to Kyle Kuzma, who should probably be drafted sooner than Collins. He was the 27th pick.

Trivia / Discussion - who are the 5 best 2nd round pick in the modern NBA draft - since it went to 2 rounds in 1989?

Here is a link to rifle through if interested: https://www.basketball-reference.com.../NBA_1989.html
    le bone

Robert O'Kelley
    I count 15 players drafted in the 2nd round who were selected to NBA all-star teams. More than I expected.

I expected the list to include Agent Zero (Gilbert Arenas for you kids at home) and Manu in the top 5. I don't think Arenas makes my top 10.
    le bone

Quote Originally Posted by TBDeac View Post
    Curious to see how/if playing with a healthy John Collins impacts Trae's numbers.
    He took several horrible shots while playing with JC a couple of nights ago.
    settled

I never got the Fultz as the #1 pick hype

Omari Spellman looks like hell be a serviceable NBA big man

If 2017 was re-done, the Sixers would probably take Donovan Mitchell first. They need him more than Tatum.

Robert O'Kelley
    2nd round picks who I believe made at least one NBA all-star game:

Carlos Boozer
    Antonio Davis
    Cliff Robinson
    Rashard Lewis
    Manu
    Michael Redd
    Gilbert Arenas
    Marc Gasol
    Paul Milsap
    The Joker (did not know he was a 2nd round pick, wow)
    Goran Dragic
    DeAndre Jordan
    Draymond Green
    Hassan Whiteside
    Isiah Thomas (the ex-Celtic one)

Also:

Danny Green
    Khris Middleton
    Matt Barnes
    Cedric Ceballalos
    PJ Brown
    Matt Geiger
    Nick Van Excel
    Byron Russell
    Eric Snow
    Stephen Jackson
    Cuttino Mobley
    PJ Tucker
    Trevor Ariza
    le bone

THE quintessential dwarf palmab03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybone View Post
    I think if you redid the 2017 draft, John Collins would be a top 5 pick (moving up from #19), and he wouldn't even be the highest mover - that would have to go to Kyle Kuzma, who should probably be drafted sooner than Collins. He was the 27th pick.

Trivia / Discussion - who are the 5 best 2nd round pick in the modern NBA draft - since it went to 2 rounds in 1989?

Here is a link to rifle through if interested: https://www.basketball-reference.com.../NBA_1989.html
    Uggg, after reading the Fultz story about how he took himself out after being benched for McConnell, I just came here to do a redraft the 2017 draft post. Me and bone are kindred spirits

Tatum, Donovan Mitchell and Fox are the only guys that seems to be a lock over Collins (and even Tatum has regressed this season). Smith Jr, Lonzo, Jackson, Markkhannen, Bam, Anunoby, and Kumza haven't made any big leaps in year 2, meanwhile small sample size Collins has a 31 PER.
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car