Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread: Lakers RIP

The Spurs dynasty story ended when Duncan retired.

It looked like the Spurs might make the Warriors work a little before that hack Pachulia took out Kawhi's ankle, but the Warriors had already leapt past the Spurs at that point.

Never Murdered My FIL
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post

It looked like the Spurs might make the Warriors work a little before that hack Pachulia took out Kawhi's ankle, but the Warriors had already leapt past the Spurs at that point.
    TITCR

Rusty Larue

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    TITCR
    I think thatís a bit of an overstatement. The Warriors were getting worked until Kawhi went down and that Spurs team was better than any team the Warriors have beaten in a series at full strength during their entire run.

lol the spurs were never going to beat the warriors

Rusty Larue

Quote Originally Posted by buckets View Post
    lol the spurs were never going to beat the warriors
    ďLol the Warriors were down 25 at home when Kawhi went down. They would have been lucky to get to game 5.Ē

Who the fuck knows. I do know Iíve seen these Warriors play twenty* games against healthy, elite teams in the playoffs. They are 9-11* with a -.45 point differential.

*19.7 and 9-10.7

Quote Originally Posted by RChildress107 View Post
    ďLol the Warriors were down 25 at home when Kawhi went down. They would have been lucky to get to game 5.Ē

Who the fuck knows. I do know Iíve seen these Warriors play twenty* games against healthy, elite teams in the playoffs. They are 9-11* with a -.45 point differential.

*19.7 and 9-10.7
    Itís funny to juxtapose your Warriors hot takes with your KenPom, wins and losses donít matter in evaluating a team, Wake takes. Pretty much everything you post about basketball is dead wrong.

Rusty Larue

Quote Originally Posted by deac29 View Post
    Itís funny to juxtapose your Warriors hot takes with your KenPom, wins and losses donít matter in evaluating a team, Wake takes. Pretty much everything you post about basketball is dead wrong.
    Saying we canít be sure how the Warriors/Spurs series would have turned out and then posting several facts is dead wrong?

Iím amazed at how certain people are when discussing counterfactuals. You must have access to the multiverse us mere mortals are unaware of.

Quote Originally Posted by RChildress107 View Post
    Saying we canít be sure how the Warriors/Spurs series would have turned out and then posting several facts is dead wrong?

Iím amazed at how certain people are when discussing counterfactuals. You must have access to the multiverse us mere mortals are unaware of.
    My comment was directed at the 2nd paragraph of your prior post. You constantly harp on objective measures (typically kenpom) to judge team strength in the Wake Forest basketball context. Yet youíve often posted comments about the Warriors implying they have been lucky, didnít deserve to win, etc., despite the fact that every objective measure has shown they have been the best team each year, and compare very favorable to the all time great NBA teams. Perhaps you are letting your emotions cloud your rational thought. Or perhaps you donít know much about basketball.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    The Jazz with 81 at halftime vs. Warriors.

KD going nuclear in the second is the only thing keeping the game close.

At least Grayson Allen hasn't played

Jazz only have 30 points in the 2nd half with under 6 min remaining.

Rusty Larue

Quote Originally Posted by deac29 View Post
    My comment was directed at the 2nd paragraph of your prior post. You constantly harp on objective measures (typically kenpom) to judge team strength in the Wake Forest basketball context. Yet youíve often posted comments about the Warriors implying they have been lucky, didnít deserve to win, etc., despite the fact that every objective measure has shown they have been the best team each year, and compare very favorable to the all time great NBA teams. Perhaps you are letting your emotions cloud your rational thought. Or perhaps you donít know much about basketball.
    Interesting that inferred from an objective measure that the Warriors were lucky or didnít deserve to win.

All championship teams are lucky to a certain degree. The Warriors deserves to win all three of their titles. Theyíve been clearly the best team 3 of the last 4 years. They are one of the best teams of all time.

But when you are comparing the greatest teams of all time, the details matter. Compared to other all time teams, the Warriors havenít fared as well when playing elite teams in the playoffs. Part of that is a lack of opportunity which isnít their fault (except for the Ď17 Spurs series).

Over the last 4 seasons there have been 16 teams with an SRS of >4 (basketball referenceís rating system which takes into account margin of victory and strength of schedule). The Warriors have beaten exactly one of them at full strength in a playoff series. Maybe the Warriors still win 3 championships if they had to face a healthy Clippers, Spurs, or Cavs team in 2015, the Spurs in 2016, a healthy Spurs in 2017, or a healthy Houston in 2018. But given their performance when they have had to face elite teams at full strength, itís hard to say that to a certainty.

Rusty Larue

For context, the 96-98 Bulls played 7 series against elite teams, winning all seven, going 28-11 with a +7 scoring margin.

Wait, so wins and losses against good teams matter?

And that statistic is something one should consider, in addition to SRS or Pomeroy, when comparing the accomplishments of two or more teams?

One shouldnít just take the computer ratings, but perhaps supplement those ratings with other data points?

Where have I seen this before?

Rusty Larue

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    Wait, so wins and losses against good teams matter?

And that statistic is something one should consider, in addition to SRS or Pomeroy, when comparing the accomplishments of two or more teams?

One shouldnít just take the computer ratings, but perhaps supplement those ratings with other data points?

Where have I seen this before?
    On the margins, sure. When other metrics are similar itís a good tiebreaker. It makes sense to look at how the Warriors played against elite teams when comparing them to the Bulls or the early 2000s Lakers.

Iím sure I could find some team thatís not anywhere near that level that managed to go .500 against elite teams in the playoffs over a 3-4 year stretch. Using that statistic to compare them to these Warriors would be beyond asinine though.

I don't remember ESPN ever airing an NBA game on a college football Saturday until tonight.

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    I don't remember ESPN ever airing an NBA game on a college football Saturday until tonight.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Along with the fact that I donít think Iím ever going to get used to seeing Lebron in a Lakers jersey.

LeBron in LA is gets more ratings than Boise State games.

It would be sick to be at Staples right now