• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Close Brushes with Fame Thread

Did a cycle tour with Chrissie Wellington and Kathryn Bertine. Met and rode bikes (in the same race, no less) with Sven Nys.

We went to Spoleto in Charleston in ‘93. Stayed at what was then the Omni. At dinner one night we noticed Gian Carlo Menotti at a nearby table. We spoke with him for a few minutes. He was pleasantly accommodating.

Pretty much. She was everything you expect a high maintenance actress to be. Got really pissed about anyone disrupting her "craft." even little kids.

Ate at a restaurant at the same time as Jennifer Garner. Said "Hi" to me as she walked by even though I was a total stranger. Total Sweetheart.

Dennis Haskins (Mr. Belding) rolled into Burke Street Pub in the early 2000's and was super creepy.

Haha I was there that night. That was the most random but perfect person to walk into Burke Street for that age group. One buddy went to offer him a shot and Belding said he didn't want to drink that much and he was in town for "the convention"

Was there as well (guess the whole class of '03 was). A buddy of ours took a picture with him. Reconnected with his future wife 10 years later after she commented on his facebook picture of hanging with Mr. Belding. They had a Saved By the Bell themed wedding.

Not my story per se, but that of my best friend from Wake. Went to a Clipper game a few years back with my friend, and he was like "oh I've got another friend I went to HS with, lemme text him" and we're about 15 rows back and this dude is sitting center court as they wave to each other. I'm like who's that dude? "He's actually the guy that discovered Justin Bieber, he was on my high school basketball team" and my next question was "never met him, how often you guys hang out?" "Oh, a couple years back. He hits me up and sees if I wanna ball and I say sure, and as he picks me up he says 'By the way, there are going to be some people here you might recognize' and they roll up and it's Leonardo DiCaprio's house. He recognized Leo, but didn't know who anyone else was. Just said he schooled them. When he got home and he spoke to his wife she realized who all these people were and it was like the lead singer of Maroon 5 and the guy who plays SpiderMan. I woulda told everyone I knew. He didn't tell anyone for years. That's why he gets invited to shit like that and I don't.

Literally bumped into Dave Bautista in the meat section of Whole Foods.

Randomly walked past Mariano Rivera at a mall while the Yankees were in town for Spring Training. Didn't even realize it until he passed. I asked a dude at a kiosk "Was that?" and he said, "Yep."

Hung out briefly with Matt Geiger at a bar in about 2004 or 2005.

Almost got into a fight with Tucker Max when we were both at Duke before he became "famous."

Sat at a table at a bar next to former Bucs DB Dwight Smith. He was probably still in the league at the time. Don't remember how we started talking but he was mad we didn't know who he was. He was bragging about how he had two pick sixes in the Super Bowl.

Met Paul Hewitt at the McCormick & Schmicks in Atlanta while he was coaching Tech.

Met Steve Robinson in Atlanta in 1998. I was on a flight from Greensboro to Atlanta with the FSU basketball team after Wake beat FSU in a close game near the end of the regular season. I shook his hand and gave him some words of encouragement. Of course, FSU took the last at-large bid to the tournament, pulled off a 5-12 upset and lost to Valpo in the game after the famous Bryce Drew buzzer beater. Wake was relegated to the NIT and we lost to Xavier who was coached by Skip. My friends blamed me for FSU getting in over Wake. Wake was the #4 seed and FSU was the #7 seed.

When I was much younger, my brother and I were knocking on our hotel door in Grandover (staying for an event there) and Stu Scott thought we were knocking on his door (he was next to us) and came out with one of his kids in his arm - shot the shit with us for a few minutes when we were like holy shit you're Stuart Scott. Great guy all around especially for a goat.

Had a couple drinks with David Blatt in Boston a few years ago when he was up for a playoff series as the Cavs' head coach. We were at a rooftop bar and sitting next to him, his wife, and his agent and people were coming up talking to him and taking pictures - we weren't interested in doing so and he chalked up a conversation with us, then bought us the next round. Great guy as well, didn't talk to him about Lebron or anything which seemed to be the exception to the norm because he said it was nice to just talk about life and sports without everything circling back to his relationship with Lebron.

At the ACCT in Washington a few years ago, a hammered Geoffrey Zakarian got onto the elevator with me, my brother, and my girlfriend. He looked at us and basically shouted "how's it hanging folks?" He was in a fresh blue checkered suit. Also ran into Bob Ryan in the elevator at the ACCT a few years back, he was a bit of a curmudgeon it seemed.

This story reeks of dwarf

Flew from DC to Houston and sat next to Dexter Manly. Was in the early 90s and he was thinking about playing in the CFL after being kicked out of the NFL. Whipped out the contract to show me. He also ended up telling me he was a sex addict and that he could never get enough. At which point he started hitting on the woman next to me. The high (low) light was him taking out a basic kids book and reading it to us. Fellow poster was with me on that flight. Very surreal experience, esp. as I am a skins fan.

For the golf crew, a friend and I were playing at our club and we hit into Dean Beman, the PGA Tour Commissioner at the time. When we got up to apologize, he asked us to join him and we played 5 or 6 holes and had a drink after the round. Nice guy for then some 19 YO goofballs. Had some good tour stories.

Stood next to Sean McDonough at a urinal in Freddie B's. When I stood at the urinal next to him he started complaining about how lame Winston-Salem was. I responded, "Nobody likes you, Sean McDonough. Go away."

At a business dinner in Fort Lauderdale, Roger Moore was at a table next to us and we bought his drinks for the evening.

Said hello to Harvey Keitel at the Burlington airport. He was on our delayed flight at was great about taking selfies with people in the gate area.

Rode a Disney bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge with Greg Anthony.

Talked to Greg Maddux and Glen Hubbard between stops on the metro in Montreal after a Braves game.

Stood next to Sean McDonough at a urinal in Freddie B's. When I stood at the urinal next to him he started complaining about how lame Winston-Salem was. I responded, "Nobody likes you, Sean McDonough. Go away."

At a business dinner in Fort Lauderdale, Roger Moore was at a table next to us and we bought his drinks for the evening.

Said hello to Harvey Keitel at the Burlington airport. He was on our delayed flight at was great about taking selfies with people in the gate area.

Rode a Disney bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge with Greg Anthony.

Talked to Greg Maddux and Glen Hubbard between stops on the metro in Montreal after a Braves game.

Then, you should be able to give him a call and get Cole to sign with the Deacs. :)

I NEVER paths with John Travolta. BUT I did hang out with Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs a couple of times.

We took our son to the open house at his preschool. Of course my wife spent a lot of time talking to the teachers and other parents, so I went outside to wait. There was another dad doing the same. He looked familiar, so I struck up a conversation with him. It was Dominque Wilkins. Super nice guy. He would always speak to me when I would see him at Kroger. Glen Hubbard was also a frequent shopper at that same Kroger.

My brother lives in Wilmington. He once drank beers with Bill Paxton, who was in town filming a movie. My brother runs the Wilmington Trolley Co. and at the height of the Dawson's Creek craze, they used his trolley in an episode. He was also quoted in Entertainment Weekly for an article about the tourist surge by Dawson's Creek fans.

Not me but my buddy met Danny McBride (pre Eastbound) at a house party in Winston. Everyone was super fucked up and my buddy went out to smoke a cigarette. McBride was outside smashing plates and glasses on the patio. My buddy asked what he was doing and he replied “smashing some fucking plates dude.” Dunno why that story always cracks me up.

Not me but my buddy met Danny McBride (pre Eastbound) at a house party in Winston. Everyone was super fucked up and my buddy went out to smoke a cigarette. McBride was outside smashing plates and glasses on the patio. My buddy asked what he was doing and he replied “smashing some fucking plates dude.” Dunno why that story always cracks me up.

Because it is exactly what we all think Danny McBride is.

When I was in high school, my parents and I went to Atlanta for the Peach Bowl. They went to the Wolfpack Club NYE party, and since I was underage, I stayed in my room and ate some acid. After a couple of hours I got antsy and decided to walk from the hotel to Underground where the peach drop was. I followed the crowd to the location, and was wandering around checking stuff out, when I got bumped pretty hard by a big dude in a leather trench coat. Turned around, and it was a group 5-6 big ass black dudes.

Fast forward a half an hour, closer to midnight, and I'm about a hundred yards from the stage in front, when the group of guys in leather go up on the stage. Turns out it was the honorary button pusher Evander Holyfield and his crew. I literally tripped out.

Also at a bowl game, in the Birmingham Mariott lobby, my wife and I were waiting for my Dad to have breakfast, and a group of 10-15 dudes in bowties start moving around the lobby. They start coming our way, and it was Louis Farakan and his henchmen. Apparently one of the Civil Rights ministers was ill, and he was in town to say his goodbyes.

When I first moved to LA I found a set of golf clubs to buy off craigslist. When I got to the seller's house, Chris Evans was hanging out in his living room watching TV with him. This was after the first Captain America but before all the Avengers and sequels and Snowpiercer. Shot the shit with them for a bit before buying the clubs and going on my way.

My wife babysat Chris Evans growing up and he was on my brother in law's little league team. Kind of weirds out my wife that our son used to have a shirt with a kid she babysat on it. Seems like a cool guy. Wasn't really the popular kid (in middle school they called him and his buddies the goof troop). Brother in law said it kind of sucks b/c whenever he goes back home to visit and is out at the one bar in town, some townie always tries to start shit with him.
Mark Price's little brother Brent coached my youth church league basketball team and he would come to a lot of our practices and games.

Lived pretty close to Sevierville in middle and High school, so I've met/talked with Dolly Parton a good number of times.

James Best (Roscoe P. Coltrain) had a house on Lake Murray a few houses down from us, so I've seen him a bunch.

Last edited:
Because it is exactly what we all think Danny McBride is.

I hope he never changes. Also, if I was at a house party in Winston, there is no way I'd be a 100% sure its Danny McBride and not just a local.

Couple quick hits:

-Almost hit Congressman Joe Kennedy with my car in a supermarket parking lot, he ran right in front of me as he was returning a shopping cart to the coral.
-Lived in the same building as Rand Paul, rode the elevator with him (really short). Apparently, one of my friends was in the building's hot tub when Rand and his wife came by to use it.
- Saw Vijay Singh sitting in 1st class as I was boarding a plane, made eye contact, gave him a head nod, dude stared right through me.
- The Zookeeper was being filmed in Boston down the street from me, Leslie Bibb stopped and pet my dog, and one of the guys from Broken Lizard asked me for directions.

James Harden wanted to carry some computers for me when he was a freshman at ASU. I told him I was a pro, and could handle it myself. I carry computers around campus all the time and up until recently he was the only person who ever offered to help.

Also I got misdelivered a new blackberry for Herb Sendek one time and I had to bring it back to him.

My cat has a 1 page spread in the November 2018 issue of Phoenix magazine.

Last edited:
I hope he never changes. Also, if I was at a house party in Winston, there is no way I'd be a 100% sure its Danny McBride and not just a local.

Couple quick hits:

-Almost hit Congressman Joe Kennedy with my car in a supermarket parking lot, he ran right in front of me as he was returning a shopping cart to the coral.
-Lived in the same building as Rand Paul, rode the elevator with him (really short). Apparently, one of my friends was in the building's hot tub when Rand and his wife came by to use it.
- Saw Vijay Singh sitting in 1st class as I was boarding a plane, made eye contact, gave him a head nod, dude stared right through me.
- The Zookeeper was being filmed in Boston down the street from me, Leslie Bibb stopped and pet my dog, and one of the guys from Broken Lizard asked me for directions.
Danny McBride went to School of the Arts, class of '99, he's filmed a lot of projects in the Carolinas since then.

Back