• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Close Brushes with Fame Thread

Coming out of the bathroom at the Spearmint Rhino at around 5AM and turning the corner with my head down but outta the corner of my eye seeing a dude with something on his face, and its Mike Tyson with a girl on each arm. Really friendly dude in that setting.

I have two:

Kid Rock was best man at my friend's son's wedding. I'll let you all Google and drive yourselves crazy. But, yes. He was best man at his wedding. One of the nicest and most down-to-earth people I've ever met.
And he goes by "Bob" (real name is "Robert") when not on tour or in public.

Played nine holes of golf with Jerry Lewis back in the 90's. Very quiet and opposite of his on-camera persona. But, very nice and quite a good golfer in his day. RIP.

Forgot one: My lifelong friend lost his girlfriend to Ric Ocasek (lead singer of The Cars). She moved to Manhattan for a design gig. Met Ocasek and the rest was history. Lasted maybe 18 months.
My friend has never been the same since. Fucked him up pretty bad.

MY NAME IS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB, BOB ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a bunch from my line of work, but my favorite one to tell lately is:

I was standing in line in front of SportsCenter anchor John Anderson, waiting for a beer at an open bar. He was by himself.

He looks at me and just matter of factly says "this line isn't moving quickly enough", and proceeds to sidestep me, and take his spot in front of me. Saved him maybe 5 seconds. Jerkface.

Andie McDowell lived in my parents neighborhood for a number of years (Late 90s to sometime in the mid to late 2000s)
She walked her dogs (2) by my parents house and when I lived with them right after college (05 and 06) I'd pass her most mornings on my way to work. There was a blind curve about 1/3 mile away from my parents house and as the timing worked out, when I'd leave for work she'd usually be within a couple hundred yards of that turn....seemed at least once a week I'd almost run her over because she'd walked in the middle of the road with one leash in the right hand and one in the left (she was in the middle of the road and each dog was in the middle of their respective lane) and then she'd give a death stare like I was some crazed lunatic driving on the sidewalk or something. FTR she had a reputation in that neighborhood for being pretty stuck up and generally rude to most people, but outside seeing her walking her dogs, I never had any interactions with her.

Oh yeah, met George R.R. Martin about three years ago. The man looks straight up weird without his hat on. He took it off to scratch his head at one point and it looked like some kind of birds next made of thin gray hair.

I met Kobe Bryant while he walking out of KFC on the streets of Amsterdam. Barely anyone seemed to notice him. He refused to take a picture.

But the best one might have been in Winchester VA on a business trip. I was waiting on a colleague to go out for dinner. In the Hampton Inn lobby was an odd looking guy sitting by himself. It was Gallagher. Did not have any watermelons with him for smashing. Turns out that he was performing at a county fair.

Celebrity and Winchester, VA Hampton Inn Lobby - those don't seem to go together. Still, a neat sighting.

Was in the lobby of a Hyatt in Century City in LA on a Saturday morning and a coworker and I were waiting for someone to come down and we were standing watching a UVA-Miami game on TV. Guy comes up in between us and asks if we think the Canes will win. We look over and it's Michael Irvin. Nice guy.

That's pretty cool. Reminds me of a few years ago, Wake was playing Miami and I was at a local bar watching the game (had been there since kickoff and it was the middle of the 4th quarter) and this woman came in wearing a Miami shirt, saw the game was on, sat two seats away from me with her boyfriend and talked shit to me until the end of the game - even though she seemingly had no idea Miami was playing until she came in.

Bartender gave me a free shot on the way out at least and apologized for people being rude.

That's pretty cool. Reminds me of a few years ago, Wake was playing Miami and I was at a local bar watching the game (had been there since kickoff and it was the middle of the 4th quarter) and this woman came in wearing a Miami shirt, saw the game was on, sat two seats away from me with her boyfriend and talked shit to me until the end of the game - even though she seemingly had no idea Miami was playing until she came in.

Bartender gave me a free shot on the way out at least and apologized for people being rude.

...and the woman was Gloria Estefan?

you guessed it:

MI0001467866.jpg

A couple years ago, my wife and I spent a few weeks traveling in Italy. During one of our days in Rome, we were puckered out from sight-seeing and it was a beautiful day, so we hung around the hotel and hot tub pool for a few hours. In the hot tub next to us was Penelope Cruz with her kids, and we engaged in minor small talk before parting ways. On the way back to the room, about 30 minutes later, we walked past the hotel gym and saw Owen Wilson lifting weights with a trainer.

Turns out they were filming Zoolander 2 in Rome at the time, and the cast was staying in our hotel.

how did you A) recognize him and B) fucking find his picture

Excellent question. We directly crossed paths and I looked at his face and thought "I think I recognize this dude from TV but have no idea what his name is" I'm sure I looked it up then, but still couldn't remember his name. Still didn't this morning when I went to post his picture. How did I find this photo? I remembered he was in some FX show with Judy Greer, so IMDB searched her and scrolled down until I found the show ("Married" - I'm sure it was excellent), then searched through the photos. The first one was too large so I went with this one. Just a little view behind how the sausage is made. Even now I'm only about 75% sure his name is Nat Faxon and I just look him up 20 minutes ago

Whilst on a first date with the hottest chick I’ve ever dated ended up at the Roosevelt hotel in Hollywood that has a 2 lane bowling alley in it, and all the way down the lane there were lounge chairs. Got our drink and walked down and sat at the first one available and looked across and said to my date “I think that’s the dude from Twilight” and she’s like “ya sure?” And I say “yeah, and that’s the chick from twilight”

This was a short while after she got caught cheating on him with her director and they hadn’t been seen out since.

I texted my friend who was gonna meet up with us that they should come by, guess who’s next to us, and she responded back to take a picture but I didn’t look at my phone again.

Apparently at that time it was the height of their popularity and millions of people were interested in whether they’d get back together.

A certain prolific female poster posts on a board involving celebrity gossip and mentioned my story. Someone else on said board found an Instagram photo where someone bowling was hashtaggiing #roosevelthotel #twilightcouplehere #noyoucantbowlwithushaha

And this became independent confirmation of the meeting. Again, these people have not been seen in public together, and a photograph supposedly woulda been worth about $50k

This news then proceeded to on thousands of twilight fan tumblers and blogs. I received a PM on here “hey...... just so you know..... your little story is going viral”

Twilight fans are split into 3 groups. The Robsians who like him and hate her. The Krisbians who like her but hate him. Then the other group that wants to see them together. These groups were in constant battles on the internet and my news was devastating to the Robsians and the Krisbians. I spent about 2 days at work being fascisinated by people’s reactions. Then I spent the new few days trolling fake news about what I saw that night as I was now a trusted news source. One can still probably google twilight couple Roosevelt hotel.

http://robstenclan.blogspot.com/2012/10/newold-robsten-sightings-at-roosevelt.html

I sat next to Steve Smith from Charlotte to Baltimore a couple of years ago. Good guy.

Last August (2017) I was spending a night at the Ft. Lauderdale (plantation) renaissance. I checked in and got on the elevator with a very grouchy looking guy with a Miami Dolphins playbook sticking out of his bag. Jay Cutler - reporting for duty for his 1 year deal. The hotel was near their training facility. I learned later that he just lived in that hotel for the whole season.

Back