• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Brian Dozier to the Nats. 1 year $ 9 million. At this point, if they re-sign Bryce, they are going to blow the lid off the luxury tax threshold. Then again, this could be old man Lerner's last chance to get the W-S trophy.

Brian Dozier to the Nats. 1 year $ 9 million. At this point, if they re-sign Bryce, they are going to blow the lid off the luxury tax threshold. Then again, this could be old man Lerner's last chance to get the W-S trophy.

Supposedly the Phils brass is all flying to Vegas this week to meet with Harper. But, someone reported that the Nats are, again, the favorite to keep him - not sure what that looks like, but there were also rumors the Nats proposed a higher offer than the 10/$300 to him.

Everything out there also suggests that the market for Machado has cooled because of his demands, and only the White Sox and Phils are still at the table - if he wants to go to the Yanks or Dodgers or anyone else, he is going to have to back off what he is asking for. The White Sox have also signed two of Machados really good friends this offseason.

Mets sign Jed Lowrie 2/$20. Still dont think it's enough to win the East, but props to them for putting together a competitive team. Should be in line for a shot at the wc and at least competing for the east if pitching stays healthy.

Mets sign Jed Lowrie 2/$20. Still dont think it's enough to win the East, but props to them for putting together a competitive team. Should be in line for a shot at the wc and at least competing for the east if pitching stays healthy.

Are they expecting him to play 3B? Or moving Cano to 1B? Seems like a bad fit.

The Mets have had so many injuries over the past decade that it's almost to be expected these days. I wonder what created the Mets jinx.

DJ LeMahieu agrees to a two-year $24 million deal with the Yankees.

At 3B, SS and 2B, the Yankees now have DJ Lemahieu, Tulo, Gleybar Torres, Miguel Andujar; Didi Gregorius is expected by in June. There is no room for Manny. Appears that the market for Machado is shrinking. Don't see him getting to the $300 million threshold or anything close to that.

DJ LeMahieu agrees to a two-year $24 million deal with the Yankees.

At 3B, SS and 2B, the Yankees now have DJ Lemahieu, Tulo, Gleybar Torres, Miguel Andujar; Didi Gregorius is expected by in June. There is no room for Manny. Appears that the market for Machado is shrinking. Don't see him getting to the $300 million threshold or anything close to that.

Does his market not gain a handful of teams that are more comfortable not paying him $30+ a year? I feel like the Braves would jump in if it got down to $250s but won't touch over $275 or so. Would have to figure out how to play him but you'd obviously trade Dansby.

If his demands hold, it's only white sox and phils left. His camp is saying there are mystery teams, so my guess is he is willing to come down for the right fit. Dunno - but would guess Dodgers and Braves would definitely jump in if he drops his demands.

Word out is the Sox offer to Machado is 8/$250.

Phils met with Bryce in Vegas over the weekend, have said they are going to make an offer this week.

Why is that "ruthless and shitty"? People play companies against each other every day in American business. This is the only time Murray will have such power. He's wise to use it.

I just don't think it's the best reputation to build for yourself before you have proven anything and think it makes him look insecure. But that's just me. I also selfishly want to watch him play for the Sounds since I'm currently living in Nashville.

Nvm, looks like the Sounds and the A's broke up after last year and the Sounds are now affiliated with the Rangers. Didn't know that until right now.

Last edited:
I think it's the opposite. Although he'd have a much longer career in baseball, if he can sucker an NFL team into guaranteeing him $25M+, he should do it. In baseball, he's not a Ken Griffey, Jr. or Carlos Corea. Murray has very little experience in baseball. He'd probably have to play a couple of years in the minors. Maybe he wants to negotiate that.

Further, football versus baseball is upfront money versus long term money.

In most cases, I'd be on the opposite side, but he is unique in that baseball wasn't his primary sport.

Word out is the Sox offer to Machado is 8/$250.

Phils met with Bryce in Vegas over the weekend, have said they are going to make an offer this week.

Wowza, Olney reporting the White Sox offer is 7/$175. Seems crazy that no one else is jumping in here.

Latest on Harper is that there aren't many suiters left and the Phillies think they can easily get him. Cubs are out, Nats are still in, crazy how FA has dropped so much in the last two years.

Yeah if that 7/$175 is true, I hope the braves jump in. That’s pretty reasonable and shouldn’t be an albatross at the end. I wonder if Harper is near that as well. If he’s around it’d hope the braves get in that one too. Obviously can’t sign both but we’ve got space for one at ~$25.

There have been so many big money free agent busts that teams have wised up:

- Zach Greinke (D-backs can't dump his contract)
- Josh Hamilton
- Pablo Sandoval
- Jeff Samardzija
- Jason Heyward
- Carl Crawford
- Arod (twice)
- Yu Darvish

Even the Stanton contract in retrospect looks bad. A bad mega contract can set a franchise back for a long time. There are a lot more misses than hits.

Back