• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Are y’all saying Machado is worth the $30+ he’s seeking? A career OBP of .335, a career wRC+ of 120, and, ifs he playing SS, some shady defense. Great, he plays a premium position, but not that well. Much better at third but he was adamant about playing SS.

It seems to be that GMs are saying that 10@$30m AAV isn't worth it for anyone, possibly even Trout. Machado and Harper wouldn't even be in their late 30s at the end of a 10 year contract and they're STILL not getting it. So if the question is "is Harper worth 10/$300" the answer is probably not. If the question is "is Harper worth the top end of the current market", then the answer is yes.

Trout will be getting paid $34M in each of his next two years. I seriously doubt he won't get offered a raise in free agency. He is likely to get $40M/year. The question becomes for how long.

Are y’all saying Machado is worth the $30+ he’s seeking? A career OBP of .335, a career wRC+ of 120, and, ifs he playing SS, some shady defense. Great, he plays a premium position, but not that well. Much better at third but he was adamant about playing SS.

He’s not either. That’s why the one real offer we’ve heard publically is 7 years/175 mil (I think) from the White Sox. I don’t think it would be so public if they didn’t think it was realistic that they are the best offer.

The real downside of all of this is that many are saying the lack of offers for what these two think they’re worth is making a work stoppage/strike far more likely in (I think) 2022. Really it’s just front offices not mortgaging their future for 4-5 good years where they can’t afford anyone else.

Braves re-sign Markakis: 1 year $6 million. Bargain.

The real downside of all of this is that many are saying the lack of offers for what these two think they’re worth is making a work stoppage/strike far more likely in (I think) 2022. Really it’s just front offices not mortgaging their future for 4-5 good years where they can’t afford anyone else.

I loved Machado on the O's but he gets a TON of TOOTBLANs and is also kind of a huge dick. He's definitely a frustrating player to have on your own team. I think these are two very talented players with question marks. I understand the reluctance to break out the Brinks truck for them.

If I read a report about Neck being the number 1 cOF option and his great offseason I’m going to lose it.

Mariano Rivera is a unanimous decision.

Rivera certainly deserves to be in the HOF, and a first ballot HOFer, but it’s a bit absurd that the first unanimous selection is a relief pitcher, when guys like Ruth, Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Williams, etc, were not unanimous. I guess that is more a reflection on the dumbness of prior generations of voters (or at least a handful of them) than it is a condemnation of the Rivera unanimous selection.

I'm just glad we can finally move on from "Ruth (et al) wasn't unanimous so no one else should be either." Might as well be Rivera.

I don’t follow baseball anymore. I can’t think of any player in any sport I’ve respected more from teams I hated as much as those Yankees teams. There’s nothing in sports like that feeling of hopelessness when Rivera trotted out on the field.

Last edited:
The most amazing thing about Rivera is that he basically threw 1 pitch (95% cutters). Hitters knew what was coming and still couldn’t square it up.

Bonds and Clemens are getting much closer. Bonds was a first ballot 98+% HOF before using roids.

Crap. RP is a joke. As I just posted many failed SP have been successful closers. HOF? Sure. First unanimous? Joke. Edgar is also a joke when people like McGriff, Vizquel, and Andruw Jones don’t get in when they played the other half of the game amazingly.

Rivera's saves record is probably an untouchable one at this point, given the way bullpens are evolving.

Andruw Jones was a great fielder and a slightly better than average offensive player. He wasn't as great at his position as Vizquel was at his.

Andruw Jones was a great fielder and a slightly better than average offensive player. He wasn't as great at his position as Vizquel was at his.

And what would you use to support this argument?

Comparing Vizquel and Andrew Jones defensively is quibbling about greatness. At their peak they are both as good as it gets at their position. All time. They both have very few peers.

Back