• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

AJ Pollock to the Dodgers. Like him.

Definitively eliminates the Dodgers from the Harper sweepstakes.

Hunter Strickland to the M's. Would've been fun to see him hold out until Harper signed and then sign in the same division...

harper-2

AJ Pollock to the Dodgers. Like him.

Definitively eliminates the Dodgers from the Harper sweepstakes.

Not a bad gamble to see if he can find his stroke in LA.

Cubs made a signing - pick up Brad Brach for the pen. That puts the Cubs total offseason at Daniel Descalso and Brad Brach - thats pretty close to the same as Goldschmidt.

Not sure if I understand Pollock "finding his stroke" concern. Last year, he hit 21 HRs with an .800 OPS despite missing two months with an injury. The concern with Pollock is that he gets injured a lot, but otherwise, you can count on him to hit, run and play good defense. BTW, Pollock played baseball at ND.

The deal is 4 years at $10 million per year. Pollock has opt outs and can earn more if he hits some incentives. Dodgers hold the option for a 5th year. He was projected to get a lot more than that.

Not sure if I understand Pollock "finding his stroke" concern. Last year, he hit 21 HRs with an .800 OPS despite missing two months with an injury. The concern with Pollock is that he gets injured a lot, but otherwise, you can count on him to hit, run and play good defense. BTW, Pollock played baseball at ND.

The deal is 4 years at $10 million per year. Pollock has opt outs and can earn more if he hits some incentives. Dodgers hold the option for a 5th year. He was projected to get a lot more than that.

Its a 4 year $55 contract with a 5th year $10 million player option or $5 million buyout and an opt out after the 3rd year.

He also had career lows in BA and OBP last year - and last year he had a weird reverse split that doesn't help a lefty dominated lineup.

I wish the Phillies would have moved on him. I completely agree about the injury concerns, but the dude can play and at 10 mill sounds like a bargain if he stay healthy... Worth the gamble, IMO.

More and more sounding like GMs are resisting long term (10+ year) deals. Willing to pay players for now and short term future. Not willing to mortgage a decade.

Or is he announcing it tomorrow by release of the MLB The Show cover?

Apparently Vegas has pulled Harper related bets off the board, which doesn't necessarily indicate anything.

Rumors swirling in DC that Harper is about to sign with the Phillies. That said, you never know when Boras is involved.

Gotta imagine it's the Phillies now.

There has been a lot of smoke that the Cubs are trying to trade Zobrist to move $12.5 million off the books this year, and with $27.5 million coming off next year just with Hamels and Lester's last year, that the Cubs are going to making some moves - Harper is a nogo unless everyone is pulling the long con - but wondering what the point of moving Zobrist would be, most pen help is going cheap this year, and the only "holes" are LH reliever and backup catcher. Maybe move Russell too for a bag of balls, free up $3.5 mil and run at Machado? haha. no.

And I'm bored and going through twitter this morning, and there a ton of references to the Twins signing Kimbrel if he would take a short term high money deal. Don't see that at all - would imagine every other team would jump at him on a 1 or 2 year deal.

The name I haven't seen much is Keuchel - my guess is that contract is big enough that the teams that can afford him are waiting on Harper/Machado. Dunno - still think he goes to the Phils too, but haven't seen many rumors at all.

I've heard that its looking like Keuchel will re-sign with the Astros. FWIW, Citizens Bank Ballpark does not fit Keuchel's game.

I've heard that its looking like Keuchel will re-sign with the Astros. FWIW, Citizens Bank Ballpark does not fit Keuchel's game.

Why not? He lead MLB in GB% among starters. Citizens Bank's status as a hitter's haven is a bit overblown, too. 12th in park factor last year, though it is a bit homer friendly. Again though, Kuechel is a ground ball pitcher.

Or is he announcing it tomorrow by release of the MLB The Show cover?

This twitter account keeps mentioning the Phillies - gotta imagine if it is being leaked by this game thing, Harper would be pissed and/or paid a ton of money to allow it.

That would be great for the Stros - would put them in top 5ish payroll in the league. I've heard their name continue to be floated out on all these big names especially with Verlander coming off next year, would make sense for them to spend on SP.

Sooooo nothing yesterday. I can't wait til philly gets no one and all the fans convince themselves they didn't want either guy anyway.

The Show really just needs to put Harper on the cover in street clothes. FUCK THE SYSTEM.

Back