• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Phillies trade for Realmuto almost at the same time that the Sixers dump Fultz. Philly sports talk radio must be blowing up. If the Eagles can flip Foles tonight, the city might get nuked.

The message coming out from the Phillies now is that Sanchez has worn out his welcome because of a lack of conditioning, whatever that means.

I hate when teams leak this nonsense after trading a player away or letting a player walk.

Do not like giving up Sixto for Realmuto. He’s a nice player, but that haul was too steep of a price. Though there is a not insignificant chance that Sixto has ongoing arm issues. The track record of guys that size throwing that hard is not great.

I'm loving the "ZOMG Bryce Harper shaved his beard, defs going to the Yankees!" rumors. That would be fun, though.

Do not like giving up Sixto for Realmuto. He’s a nice player, but that haul was too steep of a price. Though there is a not insignificant chance that Sixto has ongoing arm issues. The track record of guys that size throwing that hard is not great.

So let me get this straight - you don't like giving up a minor league guy with a not insignificant chance to have ongoing arm issues for what many if not most consider the best catcher in MLB. Makes sense.

So let me get this straight - you don't like giving up a minor league guy with a not insignificant chance to have ongoing arm issues for what many if not most consider the best catcher in MLB. Makes sense.

Correct. Sixto has a chance to be an ace. Obviously, you have to weigh that against his injury risk. They also gave up 4 years of control of Alfaro. I think the price was too high.

If Alfaro could work on his plate discipline, he could be decent - not much showing that he will be able to do that, but great arm, with some pop, he will be around for awhile.

I realize there's literally nothing else going on in baseball AND people have to generate clicks, but it's just silly to claim a definitive win for either team in a trade like this when prospects are involved. Maybe the random throw-in will have the best career of all three. Or the guy they sign from the int'l pool using this money. Or maybe they'll all be busts and Realmuto wins an MVP on a World Series team. Who the hell knows.

Word out is Realmuto was asking the Marlins for a contract similar to Buster Poseys (8/$167). That's gonna be an investment to consider for the Phils.

Before making that trade, the Phillies had to have a good idea of what it would take to sign Realmuto to a long-term deal, and they must be comfortable with it.

Just saw updated odds that have the Yanks as favorites for Machado, after a 8/$220 was leaked (no confirmation that its true though), and that his offer from the Sox is 8/$250 - also has the Giants as favorites for Harper on some super high AAV short term deal.

Pitchers & Catchers reporting today - will have baseball soon.

Phils buy out Nolas last 3 years of control and 1 year of FA on a 4/$45 under control through, will be 30 years old coming into his first FA period. It's also going to be after the next collective bargaining deal.

Phils buy out Nolas last 3 years of control and 1 year of FA on a 4/$45 under control through, will be 30 years old coming into his first FA period. It's also going to be after the next collective bargaining deal.

giphy.gif

Severino signs a 4/$40 doing the same thing.

Players and their agents are no longer excited to head to free agency. So, they are signing "team friendly" deals to ensure long-term security. Makes sense particularly for pitchers that are always one pitch away from TJ surgery.

Back