• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Are the Phils lowballing Bryce because they know no one else is going over $300? Otherwise, not sure what the wait is for.

Love this:

Are the Phils lowballing Bryce because they know no one else is going over $300? Otherwise, not sure what the wait is for.

Seems like a combination of that and not sure if Bryce wants to play in Philly. Could be wrong, but seems like if the Giants, Dodgers or even the Padres (or Cubs or Yankees) came close to the Philly offer, he would rather go there. Also, there is a rumor that Dodgers have jumped in at the last minute. Apparently, with the thinking that the NL will inevitably adopt the DH, that makes Bryce more attractive to NL teams in the back half of the deal. That theory does not explain why the White Sox are the only AL team to appear interested.

Last edited:
The Dodgers thing feels like much more than just a rumor. I don't think it's a secret that Harper wants to play there.

By all reports, Dodgers are not offering a long term deal. By all reports, Harper is not considering a short term deal. This still feels like Boras trying to squeeze more out of the Phillies.

With the reported Nats offer of 10/300 being leaked, Boras is going to look pretty bad if Harper does not exceed that (even though a bunch was probably deferred). Bowden tweeted today that Phillies have not offered 10/326 (which would exceed Stanton's highest total contract value), so the question is can he get the Phillies over 300 to save face. It doesn't seem like the Phillies have any competition on a long term deal though, unless something changes.

I really don't think Harper wants to play for Philly although he hits awfully well at Citizens Bank. I think some guy said he homers every 13th at bat there.

I wish LA would get back in but I understand their reasoning of not going past 4-5 years.

I really don't think Harper wants to play for Philly although he hits awfully well at Citizens Bank. I think some guy said he homers every 13th at bat there.

I wish LA would get back in but I understand their reasoning of not going past 4-5 years.

Maybe, but I think he's going to, and always was going to, take the highest contract. I also think the "he doesn't want to play in Philly" narrative was another Boras negotiating tactic, particuarly since it has primarily come from reporters who are frequent Boras mouthpieces - like Heyman.

If someone wrote a book about this offseason, that would be the title.

Rumors that Kimbrel said he would sit out a year are being squashed by his agent now. Still shocked he has no home.

If someone wrote a book about this offseason, that would be the title.

Actually it was one of the Danettes on Dan Patrick show.

I just wish Harper would buck his agent and come to LA. 4 years at $40 mil per and maybe an opt out after year 3.

Rumors that Kimbrel said he would sit out a year are being squashed by his agent now. Still shocked he has no home.

He has no home because he went into the off-season asking for a 7 year deal, and then scaled it back to asking for the same five year deal that the 5 year $80 million contract that the Dodgers are already regretting that they gave Kenley Jansen. Kimbrel is 30, and it looks like his stuff has slightly diminished. If he was looking for a 3 year deal, Kimbrel would've been signed.

All that said, hard to believe that Red Sox are going into the 2019 with their current bullpen. Their closer candidates on the current roster are Matt Barnes (2 career saves), Ryan Brasier (0 career saves), Brandon Workman (0 career saves), Heath Hembree (0 career saves), or Tyler Thornburg (13 career saves - 5.68 ERA in 2018). Nothing kills a team's mojo quicker than a bullpen that cannot preserves leads.

Wow, Rockies offering Arenado a 7/$245 - would be the highest average annual contract in MLB history. Can't imagine he hits FA.

I’m seeing that they’re finalizing an 8/260 deal, a little cheaper than 7/245. Good for Colorado.

Arenado is also a SoCal native and grew up a Dodgers fan but I'm sure the Trout situation is much, much different.

Arenado needed to stay in CO based on his splits alone.

Feels like this is lose-lose for both Harper and the Phillies. The only way Harper can beat Arenado's AAV is a short deal with LA/SF. The only way he gets his years is for non-record setting $$. Meanwhile, it feels like the Phillies played their hand too long and the market moved against them at the last minute.

Back