Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 583

Thread: 2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

  1. #121
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    15,730
    Wow, Nats get Corbin. Wonder if that means Harper is off the table for them. Says the contract is something like Darvish's's

  2. #122
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    ESPN is saying the Phils were trying to get Diaz in the Segura deal. It's too bad that didn't happen.
    All they needed to do was trade two of their top 4 prospects and take on a 36 year old second baseman with a 5/$120 million contract. Would have been great.

  3. #123
    6 years/$140 Million.

  4. #124
    Man, NL East teams are gearing up for a Battle Royale this year. Everyone but the Marlins are shoving their chips to the middle of the table. Should be a great race. The Nats owners are reported to be the richest in baseball, but I can't imagine that they will agree to anything like the contract Harper is seeking given the money committed to Corbin. They are now over the luxury tax threshold for the third consecutive year.

  5. #125
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    66,499
    Corbin is a nice middle of the rotation guy. If he's getting $23M, what would an ace or #2 get?

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Corbin is a nice middle of the rotation guy. If he's getting $23M, what would an ace or #2 get?
    Nats (and other MLB teams) consider Patrick Corbin more than a "nice middle of the rotation guy". Nats love pitchers after they have had TJ surgery. He is coming off a season where he threw 200 innings, struck out 246, 3.15 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 2.47 FIP; finished 5th in the NL Cy Young voting -- all while playing in a hitter's park. Fangraphs rated only DeGrom, Scherzer and Verlander as better starting pitchers last year.
    Last edited by Pilchard; 12-04-2018 at 06:22 PM.

  7. #127
    Yanks reportedly stopped at five years. I assume the Phillies were good with length, but the $$ was lower than the Nats? That's a hell of a front end of a rotation for the Natties.

  8. #128
    Rusty Larue
    wake20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland/DC
    Posts
    10,857
    I guess pitchers who finish top 5 in cy young voting are middle of the rotation guys

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by CantStandYa View Post
    Yanks reportedly stopped at five years. I assume the Phillies were good with length, but the $$ was lower than the Nats? That's a hell of a front end of a rotation for the Natties.
    I doubt the Phillies were willing to go 6 years, but who knows. Id like to see them sign Machado, 1 of Brantley/Pollock, 1 of Miller/Britton, and Happ. They have the budget to do it, and still make a run at Trout when he becomes available.

  10. #130
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    66,499
    Quote Originally Posted by wake20 View Post
    I guess pitchers who finish top 5 in cy young voting are middle of the rotation guys
    Lots of people have one good year. The previous two were mediocre.

    We'll see if last year was a new norm or an aberration.

  11. #131
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    15,730
    Wonder if the Phils give Harper and/or Machado crazy stupid money just so they don't miss him(s).

  12. #132
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Lots of people have one good year. The previous two were mediocre.

    We'll see if last year was a new norm or an aberration.
    Through his first 6 years in the league, including his rookie year and injury shortened year, he has been worth $124 million. He is 31st in fWAR over the past 6 years combined. 11th in fWAR over the last two.

    For whatever that is worth to you, which I'm guessing is nothing.

  13. #133
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    66,499
    WAR is an absolute parlor game. I've shown dozens of examples of how little it reflected results.

    He could be coming into his own. In that case, he could be a bargain, but 16 & 17, he wasn't that good.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDeacs View Post
    Wonder if the Phils give Harper and/or Machado crazy stupid money just so they don't miss him(s).
    I hope so. Seeing Machado in pinstripes would make me sick.

  15. #135
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    WAR is an absolute parlor game. I've shown dozens of examples of how little it reflected results.

    He could be coming into his own. In that case, he could be a bargain, but 16 & 17, he wasn't that good.
    He was a top 30 pitcher in 2017 by pretty much and stat or metric you want to use.

  16. #136
    Goldschmidt to the Cardinals. Wow.

  17. #137
    I assume they're confident he's going to pull a Holiday and sign an extension, but that still seems like a lot to pay for one year.

  18. #138
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    66,499
    Eovaldi stays with BoSox.

  19. #139
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by CantStandYa View Post
    I assume they're confident he's going to pull a Holiday and sign an extension, but that still seems like a lot to pay for one year.
    All the news out says they are banking on the fact that he will come there and resign. We'll see. Pretty solid lineup, if everyone is performing, Fowler, Ozuna, Bader, Carp, Goldy - even DeJong or Wong or Gyorko have put up decent numbers there. I think they need another dominant pitcher to be real series contenders, but they are close with Mikolas, Martinez, Wacha, Flatherty and Gant. Their infield defense is likely gonna suck, especially on the left side.

  20. #140
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    15,730
    Eovaldi gets 4/$67.5 from Sawx. Nice comeback for his career after a bunch of injuries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •