• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

They definitely have the money to sign both - the issue I think is whether the players want to go there. Machado is probably an easier fit, but both players would be a massive upgrade. Realistically, though, if they can convince Bryce, they move Hoskins to first and Santana to 3rd and their defense takes a hit, but their offense looks great.

Or trade Santana back to the AL.

With 2/$41, the Phils would have to eat almost all of the contract to get much more than a bag of balls. There are going to be a ton of average bats on the market now that can be had for a couple of million without having to give up anything. Would be a huge waste for the Phils - I mean, it's possible, but seems unlikely.

With 2/$41, the Phils would have to eat almost all of the contract to get much more than a bag of balls. There are going to be a ton of average bats on the market now that can be had for a couple of million without having to give up anything. Would be a huge waste for the Phils - I mean, it's possible, but seems unlikely.

I don't think this is true. Santana was a 2 war player last year. Granted, I don't think the Phillies would get back anything significant, but I don't think they'd have to eat "almost all of the contract" to move him. Also, they don't need to move him, even if they sign Harper and Machado. Odubel in CF, Hoskins in LF, Harper in RF, Santana at 1B. Williams or Quinn is your 4th OF. Machado, Crawford, Kingery at SS/3B, Hernandez/Kingery at 2B. You probably move on from Franco (or maybe Crawford instead).

They definitely have the money to sign both - the issue I think is whether the players want to go there. Machado is probably an easier fit, but both players would be a massive upgrade. Realistically, though, if they can convince Bryce, they move Hoskins to first and Santana to 3rd and their defense takes a hit, but their offense looks great.

OF defense would be a massive upgrade, 1B a slight downgrade, 3B a significant downgrade. You could also push Hoskins back to the OF for groundball pitchers' starts given the amount of information available. You may also see Adam Haseley in the OF toward the second half of the year.

I would imagine pride is the biggest thing in the way of them trading Santana.

It also seemed like Quinn surpassed Herrera as the primary CF in the eyes of the staff and FO, although with his injury history you have to keep a reliable 4th OF on the roster.

I don't think this is true. Santana was a 2 war player last year. Granted, I don't think the Phillies would get back anything significant, but I don't think they'd have to eat "almost all of the contract" to move him. Also, they don't need to move him, even if they sign Harper and Machado. Odubel in CF, Hoskins in LF, Harper in RF, Santana at 1B. Williams or Quinn is your 4th OF. Machado, Crawford, Kingery at SS/3B, Hernandez/Kingery at 2B. You probably move on from Franco (or maybe Crawford instead).

His value would be, what, Asdrubal Cabrera? Mike Moustakas? So, like $6 million a year? So, the Phils would likely need to eat $15 million to get anything back. That seems both unlikely and a waste.

Nats signing Trevor Rosenthal.

It will be interesting to see how they use him. Closer, or middle innings? He has never been an innings eater, as he averaged less than one inning per game appearance over his career. Was a decent closer a few years ago, but his appearances and opportunities were down this past season.

Nats already picked up Doolittle's option, didn't they? Can't imagine they'd bump him from the closer role.

Nats already picked up Doolittle's option, didn't they? Can't imagine they'd bump him from the closer role.

Ah. missed the Doolittle re-signing. That would then logically put Rosenthal in the 8th inning setup/hold guy role.

Nats signing Trevor Rosenthal.

1/$7 - if he finishes 30 games or has 50+ appearances, it moves into a 2/$14.

Also, Pirates don't pickup the option on Josh Harrison - I wouldn't mind the Cubs signing him on the cheap as part of our middle infield rotation.

1/$7 - if he finishes 30 games or has 50+ appearances, it moves into a 2/$14.

Also, Pirates don't pickup the option on Josh Harrison - I wouldn't mind the Cubs signing him on the cheap as part of our middle infield rotation.

Either of those benchmarks would exceed what he had done the last two years, but are not above his career highs.

Yanks resign Gardner for $8 mil - another sign they likely are on the out on Harper.

Boob Nightengale says it's down to the Nats, Phil's and Giants.

Yanks resign Gardner for $8 mil - another sign they likely are on the out on Harper.

Boob Nightengale says it's down to the Nats, Phil's and Giants.

Cubs won't get in on the bidding?

Cubs won't get in on the bidding?

Nightengale is good at breaking signing news, but his takes are terribad.

Cubs are definitely in on both Machado and Harper both - I've read a few Cubs things that think the Cubs could get Machado and another OF piece for only slightly more than Bryce. I've looked around and haven't seen much on what Machado wants, but I can't imagine it is much less (or any less) than Harper. [Go to the Cubs thread] Seems like the Cubs are going to move one of their OF pieces, either Almora or Happ at some point this winter, I think a lot depends on if they pick up Hamels or not, if they keep him, they may go all in on Machado and keep the OF status quo, if they don't pick up the option on Hamels, could see them flipping Happ and pieces for a controllable starter and then going after Bryce instead {/Go to the Cubs thread]

Also, Kershaw and the Dodgers moved the deadline to Friday at 1 pm to decide on his option for next year - everything i read says that means they are just working on a 2 year deal that works for both to keep him in LA for an extra year.

Realmutos agent saying he won't be with the marlins next year. Gotta imagine its gonna take a lot to get him - 3 years of arb left, best catcher in the league 3 years running.

Realmutos agent saying he won't be with the marlins next year. Gotta imagine its gonna take a lot to get him - 3 years of arb left, best catcher in the league 3 years running.

Bet money he ends up with the Yankees.

Cubs pick up Hamels option and trade Drew Smyly to the Rangers. $13 million cap hit - Cubs are already right at or barely over the low luxury tax threshold. Can still afford a major contract to stay below the high threshold.

Kershaw stays with Dodgers 3/$93

Also, any takers this year? Maybe Pollock or Kimbrel or Grandal?

Back