• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Are we going to have to start a basement edition again? Stfu

I get that certain posters are annoying, and certain arguments between posters can be annoying, but uhhhh, HOF selections, especially controversial ones, are interesting to debate. Sorry for ruining your oh so important offseason thread.

Not really. I’d put Hoffman and Rivera in, as well as Eckersley (though he gets bonus bonus points for his days as a starter). But I don’t think Smith belongs. He peaked at 50.6% with the hall voters, so many others obviously agree with me, and disagree with you. Again, I don’t think it’s outrageous to think Smith should make it, but let’s not pretend his case is clear cut, one way or the other.

In Sutter's first six years of eligibility, he only reached 30% of the vote once. There are a significant number of voters who didn't like voting for relievers. Add to this number, Smith was not that well liked by the press and you have some reason for those low votes.

I went to Cooperstown a few weeks ago, it was a cool experience, my kid loved it.

Also, all this Realmuto to the Mets talk with the Yankees included in a 3-way deal is intriguing. Realmuto would make that offense halfway decent, but losing Syndergaard would put a pretty big whole in that staff.

I get that certain posters are annoying, and certain arguments between posters can be annoying, but uhhhh, HOF selections, especially controversial ones, are interesting to debate. Sorry for ruining your oh so important offseason thread.

I think it's more about having a thread where people don't reply to one specific poster and elongate nonsensical arguments.

I appreciate MLB's effort to make the Winter Meetings a thing, but it's hilarious how little actual news or action actually occurs. MLBN is like a cable news network on a slow news day, but for the whole week.

I think it's more about having a thread where people don't reply to one specific poster and elongate nonsensical arguments.

I appreciate MLB's effort to make the Winter Meetings a thing, but it's hilarious how little actual news or action actually occurs. MLBN is like a cable news network on a slow news day, but for the whole week.

Bro, I think you are underestimating the Tyson Ross and Billy Hamilton news. Thats huge.

I went to Cooperstown a few weeks ago, it was a cool experience, my kid loved it.

Also, all this Realmuto to the Mets talk with the Yankees included in a 3-way deal is intriguing. Realmuto would make that offense halfway decent, but losing Syndergaard would put a pretty big whole in that staff.

Once he gets to the Mets, he'll get injured like so many of their top players over the past decade. That team seems jinxed.

If Baines gets in the HOF, then Edgar damn well deserves to be in the HOF

Gotta give it to the Mets, at least they are going for it. Depending on the big FA signings, they are still likely fighting for 3rd in that division. NL East may be the best division in baseball next year.

Wow, Phils get Cutch on a 3/$50. Wonder if that takes them out of the Harper stakes.

Edit - didn't see the above two posts. Oh well.

Always a McCutchen fan, but his numbers have been declining. He's now 32. Is it worth $16 million+ a year for a corner OF that hits 15 to 20 HRs, drives in 70 runs, steals 12 bases and is an average corner OF (and a way below average CF)? Seems like Nick Williams could do something similar for about 1/16th of that.

So now that I've thought about it a few minutes, I do not think this precludes the Phillies from signing Harper. I still think they prefer Machado over Harper, but they could put Cutch in LF, Harper in RF, and Odubel/Quinn in CF, and move Williams and/or Altherr. They could even move Odubel, but I don't think you can rely on Quinn being healthy enough to play everyday, and don't think you want to play Harper in CF more than a handful of time per year.

Too much money or way too late to have signed him.

He needs to re-grow his hair...

McCutchen is a weird signing for the Phillies. He actually rated WORSE than Hoskins last year in the field. Of course so did Bryce Harper, but he's obviously a bigger impact bat and his rating was skewed by his time spent in CF.

If you're going to overpay for a washed up OF on the wrong side of 30, Brantley would've been a better option, but he doesn't really walk. McCutchen posted career low slash numbers last year, but also posted the second-most BB in his career. Given the hilariously bad Santana signing, we know the Phillies' FO overvalues walks.

This seemingly makes them all in on Machado and pushes the *cough* White Sox to the lead for Harper.

Could the Phils be setting up a signing for Machado while keeping a space open to pay Trout $400M?

Supposedly the Phillies are still working on another starter (Keuchel) and reliever (Britton) and are also still in on Realmuto trade. Thats gonna be, what, $45 million combined salary with Cutch? Plus the $15 million on Segura. I guess its still possible for them to add $30 million more for Machado or Harper - my guess is they moved on from both. I could very much be wrong.

Supposedly the Phillies are still working on another starter (Keuchel) and reliever (Britton) and are also still in on Realmuto trade. Thats gonna be, what, $45 million combined salary with Cutch? Plus the $15 million on Segura. I guess its still possible for them to add $30 million more for Machado or Harper - my guess is they moved on from both. I could very much be wrong.

Phillies could comfortably add 80-90 million this offseason, factoring in projected arb numbers. Cutch + Segura - Santana adds about ~$5-10 million, so they can still still add Machado/Harper, an elite reliever, and a starter.

They could miss on both Harper and Machado, but I doubt it will because of lack of interest or being outbid.

Looks like about +$12 million with adding Segura/Cutch, and trading Santana, assuming Cutch’s money is spread out evenly, plus another 8ish for Nicasio

If Baines gets in the HOF, then Edgar damn well deserves to be in the HOF

Legitimate point. Edgar was clutch.

Enjoy the rumors and the anticipation expressed. I won't be surprised if a repeat of last year's off season occurs and a large number of free agents get the ho-hum until late in spring training or later. The last several years have shown developing the kids is the future and much more affordable.

Back