• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

I personally don’t think Smith should be a HOFer, but I can understand the argument for him. Baines, on the other hand, is an absurd selection. I don’t believe he ever cracked 10% during his time on the ballot.

Comparing a closer to an everyday player in black ink shows you use numbers without understanding them.

Lee Smith was a dominant player at his position throughout his career. To say he wasn't means you have no clue.

Comparing a closer to an everyday player in black ink shows you use numbers without understanding them.

Lee Smith was a dominant player at his position throughout his career. To say he wasn't means you have no clue.

I posted the BR Hall of Fame statistics section in full, with an emphasis on saying that his career, like Baines', seems to be more about longevity than "dominance." So i'll ask again, what made him dominant?

If you can't tell what made him dominant, there's nothing I can discuss with you. When he retired, he had 88 saves more than the #2 guy.

If when you retire, you are head and shoulders above anyone else who done what you do (if it's a critical position), you deserve to be in the HOF.

I get that if I said today is Monday, you'd have to say,"It's not Monday in Australia."

So you can't explain his dominance other than the save stat? Got it.

When someone's job is to save games and he does it better than anyone before him by a wide margin, he's earned being in the HOF unless you believe no closer ever deserves in the HOF.

He played 18 seasons. For about 14 of them he was his team's closer. In each of those 14 years. he was in the Top 10 in saves. In seven of those years. he was first or second.

You need to get a life and not continually being a snide little bitch (I know I owe female dogs an apology).

When someone's job is to save games and he does it better than anyone before him by a wide margin, he's earned being in the HOF unless you believe no closer ever deserves in the HOF.

He played 18 seasons. For about 14 of them he was his team's closer. In each of those 14 years. he was in the Top 10 in saves. In seven of those years. he was first or second.

You need to get a life and not continually being a snide little bitch (I know I owe female dogs an apology).

So you can't explain his dominance other than the save stat? Got it.

If you want to use black/gray for a relief pitcher (which is totally ridiculous), then none of the other relievers in the Hall deserve to be there:

Eck - 8 black /130 gray (he was a starter for several years)
Hoffman- 6 black/45 gray
Sutter- 15 black/30 gray
Rollie- 12 B/52 gray

Shorty, we know what MHB's problem is...ME.

What else would you want to see other than the save stat, since what Smith did was save games?

The save stat tells you absolutely nothing about how someone pitched. I'm not being picky, but if we have no way of comparing player A to player B, other than a cumulative statistic highly dependent on factors outside of a player's control, then that is a problem.

First, he brings up black and gray number. Then he says he doesn't use them.

The ONLY reason this is an issue here is MHB's irrational, childish, wasted energy hatred of me. If he wants to continue trying to paint me as an evil, stupid person, it's on him.

For the past week, Jews around the world celebrated the miracle of Channukah, which has hope as a tenet. In two weeks, Christians around the world will be celebrating the birth of Jesus and the hope and love he represents.

My hope is one day MHB will grow up enough to toss away his hatred of me and be able to discuss issues without that being the cornerstone of his posts. I think world peace is as likely. I hope that each becomes reality.

The save stat tells you absolutely nothing about how someone pitched. I'm not being picky, but if we have no way of comparing player A to player B, other than a cumulative statistic highly dependent on factors outside of a player's control, then that is a problem.

The stat save tells you about the results. As the old saying goes, it’s not about how, it’s about how many.

Shorty, you'd better watch out. MHB may start hating you like he hates me if you keep agreeing with me. :)

Even when you are right.

The reality is if anyone knows baseball, they know Lee Smith was a dominant player for well over a decade. The only way he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF is if one believes no closer ever belongs in the Hall.

The reality is if anyone knows baseball, they know Lee Smith was a dominant player for well over a decade. The only way he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF is if one believes no closer ever belongs in the Hall.

Not really. I’d put Hoffman and Rivera in, as well as Eckersley (though he gets bonus bonus points for his days as a starter). But I don’t think Smith belongs. He peaked at 50.6% with the hall voters, so many others obviously agree with me, and disagree with you. Again, I don’t think it’s outrageous to think Smith should make it, but let’s not pretend his case is clear cut, one way or the other.

I haven’t even explicitly said I don’t think Smith belongs. Excuse me if I’d like support for an argument of “dominance.”

Back