• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Adding Goldschmidt means that Matt Carpenter has to play 3B. Carpenter is a liability at any spot other than 1B. Also, Jose Martinez can rake, but he is a weak defensive OF. When teams with "great lineups" under-perform, often its because the great offensive lineup requires a bunch of below average defensive players in the field.

Adding Goldschmidt means that Matt Carpenter has to play 3B. Carpenter is a liability at any spot other than 1B. Also, Jose Martinez can rake, but he is a weak defensive OF. When teams with "great lineups" under-perform, often its because the great offensive lineup requires a bunch of below average defensive players in the field.

Generally agree, but have to assume Fowler and Martinez will platoon in right - Carp/DeJong at 3rd/SS is going to suck, but, no one else in the central is getting better (yet). The Brewers dont have a lot of money so are trying to trade for a front end the pitcher, the Cubs are doing who knows what. Cards making a strong statement - and really not giving up any building blocks - maybe a solid Catcher, but Weaver had a bunch of flaws and likely wasnt going to crack the rotation this year, no clue about the minor leaguer (looks like he is a power hitting CIF/MIF).

Indians sign Carrasco to a 3 year extension - assuming that means Kluber and Bauer are still on the block.

I didn't realize Kluber had one year remaining on his contract. I would imagine that limits the willingness of teams to part with legit prospects.

I didn't realize Kluber had one year remaining on his contract. I would imagine that limits the willingness of teams to part with legit prospects.

An interesting question about Kluber is if he had three more dominant years, would he make the HOF? It's not likely that he'd go more than a year or two after that due to his age. But he'd have about 7-10 years as a dominant pitcher, but won't have overwhelming numbers.

Harold Baines and Lee Smith have been elected to the HOF.

Smith obviously deserved to get in. I really liked Baines, but he's not a Hall of Famer. Most of his numbers about longevity not dominating a time period.

Apparently the White Sox are putting a huge offer on the table to Harper. Really can't imagine he would go there, but I guess you never know. Their rebuild and the lack of competition in the AL Central means they could, potentially only be a couple of years away from competing.

Smith obviously deserved to get in. I really liked Baines, but he's not a Hall of Famer. Most of his numbers about longevity not dominating a time period.

What's the difference between the two, and why one obviously deserved to get in and the other is not a HOFer?

Lee Smith was a dominant player during his career and unquestionably one of the greatest closers of all time.

Harold Baines was a very good player whose numbers were a result of a long career not being a superstar. I liked Harold Baines a lot, but he wasn't a dominant player. There are articles from around the country agreeing with me about Baines.

If you want to use Bill James, the average HOFer has blank ink of 27 vs. Baines having 3; gray ink of the average HOFer 144 vs. Baines 40.

When Lee Smith retired he was the all-time leader in saves by a wide margin -- more than 50. He has since been passed by hall of famers Trevor Hoffman and first ballot HOF'r Mariano Rivera; even so he is 3rd all-time and there isn't anyone close (e.g, he has 56 more saves than Billy Wagner, and the closest active player; Craig Kimbrel is more than 140 behind Smith). Lee Smith was a dominant closer for 14 years, and was the best closer in baseball for close to a decade. Smith had both dominant years and longevity. Baseball had long under-valued relief pitchers, but that has now changed. He is was one of the great relievers of all-time. I get the nod.

I love Harold Baines. Classy player. Long career, remarkably consistent and much better fielder early in his career than most give him credit for as he transitioned into a full-time DH for the back half of his career. With that said, hard to rebut the challenge to Baines candidacy as he was never a truly elite player at any point in his career. The amazing thing about Baines getting in is that he was never even close to election through the standard voting process. A player needs to be named on 75% of the HOF ballots to get in. Baines never had more than 6%.

As much as I admired Baines, I never thought he had a realistic chance for the HOF; always thought that Lee Smith was a victim of bias against relievers and he was not friendly with the media, which is a BS reason to keep a candidate out.

Last edited:
Apparently the White Sox are putting a huge offer on the table to Harper. Really can't imagine he would go there, but I guess you never know. Their rebuild and the lack of competition in the AL Central means they could, potentially only be a couple of years away from competing.

They have a top 2 or 3 farm system, no? They might not be that far away and Cleveland's window is about to close.

CHW could add Harper and Machado this offseason and I would still bet on Cleveland to win the division the next 2 years.

ESPN planning to start Sunday night games at 7:00. The reason being given is fairness to the visiting team that has to travel after the game. A good reason but I suspect a lot of fans are applauding the change as well.

ESPN planning to start Sunday night games at 7:00. The reason being given is fairness to the visiting team that has to travel after the game. A good reason but I suspect a lot of fans are applauding the change as well.

Now if only FOX/TBS would follow suit with the playoffs.

Lee Smith was a dominant player during his career and unquestionably one of the greatest closers of all time.

Harold Baines was a very good player whose numbers were a result of a long career not being a superstar. I liked Harold Baines a lot, but he wasn't a dominant player. There are articles from around the country agreeing with me about Baines.

If you want to use Bill James, the average HOFer has blank ink of 27 vs. Baines having 3; gray ink of the average HOFer 144 vs. Baines 40.

Lee Smith:

Hall of Fame Statistics

Black Ink
Pitching - 12 (199), Average HOFer ≈ 40
Gray Ink
Pitching - 48 (555), Average HOFer ≈ 185
Hall of Fame Monitor
Pitching - 127 (64), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards
Pitching - 13 (669), Average HOFer ≈ 50
JAWS
Relief Pitcher (16th):
29.0 career WAR / 20.9 7yr-peak WAR / 24.9 JAWS
Average HOF RP (out of 7):
36.8 career WAR / 25.7 7yr-peak WAR / 31.3 JAWS

Aside from save totals, there is not a whole lot that screams "dominant." And it doesn't make a lot of sense to say Baines' "numbers were a result of a long career, not being a superstar" without making a similar observation of Smith.

Back